Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Water in rear light unit

Options
  • 31-07-2007 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Seems to be some water in my tail light casing sloshing around (A3). Might have been caused by condensation?

Anyone have experiences of this and resolving it before it shorts out the bulbs, etc?

Ta ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

No way sloshing water is down to condensation. You've a leak. More than likely a dodgy seal. Either replace the seal or drill a hole to allow the water out.

What year is the A3?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

crosstownk wrote:
    What year is the A3?

T'is an 04. Seemed to be watertight on first examination. Must be a leak in there somewheres, difficult to remove the unit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I drilled a small hole at the bottom of the cluster when that happened to me

Mike.

Dwilly wrote:
    T'is an 04. Seemed to be watertight on first examination. Must be a leak in there somewheres, difficult to remove the unit?

No - not difficult a few nuts at the back of the unit. If the unit isn't cracked then it's most likely the seal.

I just checked vagcat, part is shown but no part number is listed - you may have to buy a new lamp lens - check with an Audi dealer to be sure.

Cheers mate, good to know before the dealer replaces the entire back half of the car ..:o

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    I drilled a small hole at the bottom of the cluster when that happened to me

Might be worth a shot. Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Check the seal around the rear hatchback, it could be leaking there. Also check the rear wiper arm as if I remember correctly the MkIV Golf was notorious for water leaking through there due to a poorly designed rear wiper arm. The amount of MkIV Golfs you see with blown rear lights is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

how does the water get from the wiper into the cluster? the MK4 Golf didnt have any lights on the rear hatch did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Same happened in my 04 A3, after I changed a brake light. I reckon I mustn't have sealed it back up again properly. I emptied it out and it seems to be fine since.
    I couldn't figure out how the water was getting in though ? :confused:

colm_mcm wrote:
    how does the water get from the wiper into the cluster? the MK4 Golf didnt have any lights on the rear hatch did it?

Yep - lights on A3/Golf are mounted in the 1/4 panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sorry read the post wrong. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Do you use a power washer to clean your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Be aware that drilling a small hole can let water in as well as out. :)

Generally, the best solution is a new seal and/or silicon seal around the light.

ciarsd wrote:
    Do you use a power washer to clean your car?

Nope, just yer average bucket & sponge :)
    Must be a result of all the damn rain of late..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cloono

I had a 01 A3, and the pipe for the back window washer would disconnect from time to time, so I guess the water would have been going into panels in the boot.

Not sure if it would reach the lights though...........

Advertisement