Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I check the actual contention on a DSL line? (Eircom)

Options
  • 01-08-2007 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Is it possible to check the real contention on a broadband connection? i.e. if its supposed to be 40:1, can I see if its close to the max, or if there is a time of day that is worse than others?
    Sorry if this has been asked before - I don't see it.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

mondubics wrote:
    Is it possible to check the real contention on a broadband connection? i.e. if its supposed to be 40:1, can I see if its close to the max, or if there is a time of day that is worse than others?
    Sorry if this has been asked before - I don't see it.

If contention is an issue then it will usually be very evident at the busiest times of the day usually evenings and tailing off from midnight or so. What sort of problems are you having? Are you having slow speeds at all times or just certain times? What is your set up? are you using a wireless connection?

Give as much detail as you can - what exchange are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

To answer the question, there's no easy way. If you know certain employees in eircom (not your usual linesman I'd say) they might be able to find out what the load is on your exchange for you. But contention changes from minute to minute so that isn't much good.

There's no way for a customer to accurately measure contention from the home/premises. Getting an accurate download speed and comparing it to the theoretical max doesn't work either.

In short: No:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you are getting slow speeds at off peak times of the day such as early morning it woud suggest there is something wrong but it may not be contention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mondubics

Thanks for the info - I was just curious (and suspicioius);)

Advertisement