Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many read this forum

• 01-08-2007 3:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

As an avid reader of this forum, yet a rare poster, I thought it would be interesting to find out how many people also read but never/seldom post. Mainly out of interest for the amount of traffic this particular forum gets, but also as a follow on to see what religious afiliation (or lack thereof) the readers have. A sort of mini A&A census if you will... onder where i got the idea for this thread...!

I suppose after selecting a poll option post whether you are Christian (and which denomination), Muslim, Jew, Buddhist, Hindu, Athiest, Agnostic or miscellaneous.

How ofetn do you read this Forum? 62 votes

Every day
    0% 0 votes
    More than once a week
    41% 26 votes
    Once a week
    46% 29 votes
    Less than once a week
    11% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

How rude to make a poll and not submit your own vote :p

I'm a miscellaneous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Atheist.

That was much more satisfying than the government census.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Heathen and atheist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Buddhist and atheist

buddhist and "alatrist"

I wonder how one pronounces alatrist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Christian.

As an evangelist I come here to scout out my prey. ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

PDN wrote:
    As an evangelist I come here to scout out my prey.
    Had much success? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

robindch wrote:
    Had much success? :)

Not among the kind of die-hards who regularly post here. But it has been helpful to understand how you guys think, and to understand the usual arguments employed by unbelievers (some of which are easier exploded than others). This gives me invaluable material in training our people how to remove some obstacles to faith when dealing with less entrenched unbelievers.

Anyway, our conversion rates are up since I started hanging out here, so this board is doing its little bit in the onward march of world evangelisation. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

PDN wrote:
    Anyway, our conversion rates are up since I started hanging out here, so this board is doing its little bit in the onward march of world evangelisation. :)
    Considering most Christians and Theists shy away from all forms of debate I respect and admire you for popping in here. There have been some occasions where I have taken a minority few in these forums and its not easy. So kudos to you.

To answer the OP: I'm a Atheist. I see some good in Religion even though I believe it's illogical, irrational and a delusion. I see the human need for it and don't believe atheism is the answer for everyone. Ideally, I would like to see theists and atheists work out a way of understanding each other and put common humanity first.

I look at this forum between everyday and once a week. I'd like to wind that down though.
    Sometimes it's stimulating, sometimes you just get a very strong pain in your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

PDN wrote:
    Not among the kind of die-hards who regularly post here. But it has been helpful to understand how you guys think, and to understand the usual arguments employed by unbelievers (some of which are easier exploded than others). This gives me invaluable material in training our people how to remove some obstacles to faith when dealing with less entrenched unbelievers.
    That sounds all vaguely familiar ... isn't that why we hang out on the Christians forum :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I only found this forum recently enough, and it deserves some credit for convincing me absolutely that I'm an Atheist. Good job, Atheism & Agnosticism!

Generally read it every time I'm on boards, which is more than once a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Wishy-washy Atheist/Agnostic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

PDN wrote:
    This gives me invaluable material in training our people how to remove some obstacles to faith when dealing with less entrenched unbelievers.
    Obstacles like logic?
    Just kidding man ;)

To answer post #1: no affiliation, so I suppose that makes me an atheist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Nobody reads this forum. God just makes it looks like a load of people do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Buddhist/miscellaneous I guess. And I currently read every day, but that'll probably stop when I don't have a thesis to work on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Pop in most days but it depends how busy I am.

Atheist.
    Considering most Christians and Theists shy away from all forms of debate I respect and admire you for popping in here.

I must second Tim's sentiments, PDN. Respect to you for your dedication to a hopeless cause ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Atheist

I try to read more than I post as there are some great regular posters here that are much better at getting the point across.

Now where do I collect my badge?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

bluewolf wrote:
    buddhist and "alatrist"

I wonder how one pronounces alatrist
    Allah-Triste
    :)

I am an Alatrist. I read here about 5/6 days a week in work. I don't really post much.

ah-lah? but it has to be lay, cos it's mono-lay-tree...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's pronounced mo-nol-a-try/muh-nol-uh-tree.

I pronounce it al-a-try/al-a-trist.Above I was making a joke:
    sad allah.

• Advertisement

It's pronounced mo-nol-a-try/muh-nol-uh-tree.

I pronounce it al-a-try/al-a-trist.Above I was making a joke:
    sad allah.
    ok it's just me saying mono lay try then...
    :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

How rude to make a poll and not submit your own vote :p

I'm a miscellaneous.
    Well, I do try to be rude whenever I can!

I'm an atheist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Neo-libertarian-radical-atheist with LaVeyan over tones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Atheist but I rarely post here. I always get the feeling I haven't read enough books on the subject when I read some of the threads here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Stephen wrote:
    Atheist but I rarely post here. I always get the feeling I haven't read enough books on the subject when I read some of the threads here ;)

Meh, look at the Christianity forum.
    The amount of bible quoting is scary to say the least:D
    I consider myself Agnostic as I have been raised as a "Christian" but recently have become very disillusioned by the whole religion scene.
    I dont agree with the "follow the herd" mentality leads to these fundamentalist Christians and their crazy belief that the world was created in 6 days.
    I am 18 btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

PDN wrote:

Don't blame us if people believe whatever rubbish your telling them.

Edit; Strong atheist; believe religion supplies us with nothing(inherent morality anyway), is a supreme waste of scarce resources and generally prevents advancement in science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

dan719 wrote:
    Don't blame us if people believe whatever rubbish your telling them.

Edit; Strong atheist; believe religion supplies us with nothing(inherent morality anyway), is a supreme waste of scarce resources and generally prevents advancement in science.
    What about Scientists who believe in Religion?
    How does that fit into your hypotheisis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Stephen wrote:

ah but that the prime difference between athiesm and most religions no required reading

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

I read more than once a week here, and post occasionally.

I don't believe in god, but I'm not an atheist. Mostly I'm a pedant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I don't believe in god, but I'm not an atheist. Mostly I'm a pedant.

You wanna clarify that a little...?

Advertisement