Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 - How do i escape?

• 01-08-2007 9:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Currently under contract with 3 and i really want out.

I changed my plan a couple of months ago and im guessing that renewed the 12 month contract?

This month however they totally ****ed up my bill this month charging me 80 euro extra for no reason. They have acknowledged this and though they will still debit my account, they will apparently credit it on the next bill with the 80.

Could this be seen as a breach of the contract, them ****ing up?

If I stop the direct debit could i escape the contract now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Stopping the DD will not break your contract.

And I don't think a mistake, that they've promised to rectified nullifies it either..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

BuffyBot wrote:
    Stopping the DD will not break your contract.

And I don't think a mistake, that they've promised to rectified nullifies it either..

Ok so any advice on voiding the contract?

What about the fact I dont get any 3G reception in my area?

Surely that could do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Simply changing your plan should not renew a contract. As far as i know you have the initial contract for 12 months and thats it. After that you can leave any time. Unless of course when you changed your plan you got another subsidised phone from them? That might be different.

Why not simply call them and tell them you are cancelling?

Saruman wrote:
    Simply changing your plan should not renew a contract. As far as i know you have the initial contract for 12 months and thats it. After that you can leave any time. Unless of course when you changed your plan you got another subsidised phone from them? That might be different.

Why not simply call them and tell them you are cancelling?

I have been with them since October 2005 but got a phone upgrade in October 2006, so as far as I know I am under contract until October this year.

I don't want to ring to cancel without having a valid reason first in case they try to force me to pay out the remainder of the contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

WellyJ wrote:
    I have been with them since October 2005 but got a phone upgrade in October 2006, so as far as I know I am under contract until October this year.

I don't want to ring to cancel without having a valid reason first in case they try to force me to pay out the remainder of the contract

Changing plan is simply that; it isn't a renewal of a 12 month contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Why is it you want to leave so badly, ive put up with not living in a 3G area for 2 years, its made littlle difference to me though limerick city is 5mins away so im not missing out on anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Unfair terms in a contract are prohibited by consumer law. Renewing your contract because you changed plan could be seen as that - although I don't think Three do this; O2 however has done so before as far as I'm aware. If your bill did not specify that you would be direct debited the €80 you were debited then Three have breached the terms of the direct debit scheme and should seek to rectify it straight away by refunding the difference into your account, as oppose to on your next bill. You could argue your way out of your contract in this respect...

Slice wrote:
    Unfair terms in a contract are prohibited by consumer law. Renewing your contract because you changed plan could be seen as that - although I don't think Three do this; O2 however has done so before as far as I'm aware. If your bill did not specify that you would be direct debited the €80 you were debited then Three have breached the terms of the direct debit scheme and should seek to rectify it straight away by refunding the difference into your account, as oppose to on your next bill. You could argue your way out of your contract in this respect...

Thought as much,

Thanks for the help Slice

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

so did you agrue it further to customer care?
    funny i was thinking of moving to three. but i don't have any good reason as of yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

dmn: it's fine as long as you're happy with the phone and dont have any technical problems. Having to call them is frustrating. I hate their lack of customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If you want to leave them, after 6 months you can downgrade your service plan by one step at a time, month per month.

i.e. if you're on the €79 / month you can downgrade to €49, then to €29 then to €19 (month by month)

If you leave before 12 months, they'll charge the minimum monthly fees left to run on the contract.

If you are that keen on leaving:
    once you get it down to the €19 price plan. Just give them 30 days notice, you'll be charged €19x(number of months left)
    But, your contract will be terminated once this is paid in full. Just ask them to calculate a termination fee for you. You'll get a final bill etc and your number will be free to port once it's paid up.

Solair wrote:
    If you want to leave them, after 6 months you can downgrade your service plan by one step at a time, month per month.

i.e. if you're on the €79 / month you can downgrade to €49, then to €29 then to €19 (month by month)

If you leave before 12 months, they'll charge the minimum monthly fees left to run on the contract.

If you are that keen on leaving:
    once you get it down to the €19 price plan. Just give them 30 days notice, you'll be charged €19x(number of months left)
    But, your contract will be terminated once this is paid in full. Just ask them to calculate a termination fee for you. You'll get a final bill etc and your number will be free to port once it's paid up.

Called them this morning,

Apparently there policy has changed, was able to downgrade all the way to te 19 euro one from the 75 one.

So now i have to pay that for August and September and then im gone.

Sounds good! Though I will have an N80 sitting in the drawer collecting dust, dont think they are unlockable yet?

Or will 3 unlock it for me once the year is up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

3 will do it for a 25 euro unlocking fee

Advertisement