Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car crash

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Anna23

I have notified the insurance company straight away and yes thats the only damage I did to her car, I havent heard anything from her yet, looks like i was misinformed and she did not make a claim, but the insurance co is tracking her down, even though I told them not to do anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Anna23 wrote:
    …..so I am left wondering now if she will claim against me or not as it was a company car.

well if you drive into the back of her, id say she will clame,
    she also seems to know her stuff.... no need to call the guards if nobody was hurt, she got the details she needed except you address ( its an offence not to give it as the seen of an accident)...
    so ya unless she is a complete twat id say she will clam, if its a company car, the company will definitely clam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Tauren wrote:
    I know someoen who hit another car from behind because they stopped dead on a round about when they saw a garda car approaching. The garda saw it happen, and said it was the fault of the fella that slammed on the brakes.

well stopping ON a roundabout is illegal...

well she hasnt done it just yet!

well I jsut got a call finally from the insurance company saying that the woman made a claim against me for back injury and that now she is on holiday!

• Advertisement

well I just got a call finally from the insurance company saying that the woman made a claim against me for back injury and that now she is on holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

have not got threw the whole thread so it might already of been said but
    maoleary wrote:
    Leaving the scene of an accident is an offence, her refusal to give you her details is also an offence. With that catalogue of stupidity on her part, I doubt you'll hear from her insurers, their claim would be seriously damaged by her actions at the scene.

it would not have affected it at all leaving the scene of the accident and refusing to give details are legal matters the damage to the car is a civil matter which the op is responsible for. The person the op crashed into could of been locked and the op would still have to pay for the damage to the car.
    rubyred wrote:
    Not necessarily. I work in a legal firm dealing with litigation. We had a client who rear-ended someone's car, but the car in front didn't have working break lights. It ended up being his fault, as he didn't give any warning to the car behind that he was stopping.

this is one of the two times that you will get away with rear ending someone in my claims experience. the other being if the person you hit pulled out from a side road in front of you not giving you enough time to react and it just happened to be the back of the car you hit
    Tauren wrote:
    I know someoen who hit another car from behind because they stopped dead on a round about when they saw a garda car approaching. The garda saw it happen, and said it was the fault of the fella that slammed on the brakes.

the gardai have nothing to do with deciding liability unless like in this case they saw the accident however from what you just said it was still the person behind who was at fault and if it ended any other way that is wrong.
    Anna23 wrote:
    well I just got a call finally from the insurance company saying that the woman made a claim against me for back injury and that now she is on holiday!

she will have to deal directly with your insurance to claim for injuries so make sure they are aware you believe no possible injury could of been caused and you want it fully investigated...........she will more than likely be successful as it is very hard to prove someone is not injured but by bringing up your doubts it should mean your insurance company do their utmost to minimise the claim

also as regards the other damage your insurance company should also be made aware of this as you are not responsible for the full replacement cost of the bumper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Anna23 wrote:

She sounds like a chancer and is clearly going to take you for what she can here. Nothing can be done about it. I know it's a pain in the arse but she will almost certainly be successful with this claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Tell them you smelt alcohol on her breath and saw a bag of white snow in her pocket and she fled the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭carveone

I'm kinda curious about this. Most of my driving experience was in Canada. There it is an offence to call the police if the damage is less than $1000 and noone is hurt. You are wasting police time. I guess that's not the same here? Maybe it should be given the tiny accidents people have and then proceed to block all of Pearse St or something...

The back injury thing is a real nuisance. TwoShedsJackson there is right - I remember my (attorney) sister falling over in disbelief at what people will try and pull...

One thing I wanted to mention - many injuries occur when people get out of their car on busy streets and are struck by other cars (I had friends in Canada who were medics, they had some pretty grim stories). Don't have a minor prang and then leap out of your car...

• Advertisement

well I told them to investigate the matter properly hope they did

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

carveone wrote:
    I'm kinda curious about this. Most of my driving experience was in Canada. There it is an offence to call the police if the damage is less than $1000 and noone is hurt. You are wasting police time. I guess that's not the same here?

the gardai have two roles in an accident. get all parties details to forward onto the insurance company if requested and if there is an injury to make sure the injured parties get to hospital promptly. if someone is injured they will probably take measurements aswell but im not sure if they are obliged to do so.

if you ring the gardai for a very minor accident with no injuries they are still meant to go to the scene and take the details of both parties but in reality they either do not turn up or take hours to do so.

also the gardai should not (and most will not even if asked) make a judgement on who is at fault for the accident unless they actually see the accident happen and in that case in theory they are treated just like any other witness be

well first of all my insurance didnt even bother with the accident, havent heard from them in 2 weeks and yday he calls saying I will close the accident and then he calls again at 3 to tell me she is making claims against me for back injury, she was fine I have 2 witnesses who saw her get out of the car without a scratch on, she was very annoyed when I called the gardai and said why am I ringing when I hit her, so she said something and got into her car and drove off, so I am sure they will take that into consideration, she was dying to get out of there, I saw her teh next day in work, so if she was injured why was she in work, and second off all she is on holiday now, so I dont know what to do, my question is can this end up in court or something because of the injury claim! I presume the insurance will ahve to send her to a doctor and get xrays done on her to determine the damage, why didnt she allow for the ambulance to come, the insurance company cant even get in touch with her, and its driving me insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Anna23 wrote:
    she was fine I have 2 witnesses who saw her get out of the car without a scratch on ... I presume the insurance will ahve to send her to a doctor and get xrays done on her to determine the damage

Whiplash / back pain type injuries don't always present themselves immediately.
    Both can be real without being detectable on an X-ray.

This makes them easier to fake than other injuries, but on the other hand they may be genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I suffered a whiplash injury playing football, managed to play the remainder of the game and then the following evening I wasn't able to move my neck with out massive pain !

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

WWII black propoganda

http://www.psywar.org/malingering.php

Chapter I – “Help for All” gave advice on a range of diseases useful for escaping any type of factory work or military service. How to fake a severe back pain was the first debilitating health problem illustrated. The prospective patient is advised to place a small walnut or large hazelnut against the large muscles to the left and right side of his spinal column. The nut is held in place by the waistband of his trousers. He then practices movements remembering how the nut causes pain by its pressure on his back. He must learn how to move by not using his back muscles so preventing the discomfort, as he would do if in reality suffering from a severe back problem. Once he has learnt this technique without the nut in place he is ready to visit the doctor to complain of terrible sharp pains in the back. He should be guaranteed a few days sick leave, possibly even weeks and whenever resuming heavy work in the future the back problem can recur. “Beware”, the advice continues, “Don’t be caught off guard. It might be that the doctor tries to trick you into an involuntary movement, by letting something fall to the floor, perhaps, whereupon, as a well-mannered person, you would stoop to pick it up. Never forget that you can only bend over with the greatest difficulty and straighten up again with even more effort.”

all I can say is that we were in bumper to bumper traffic, the cars were barely moving and my insurance have seen the pic that I have taken and they said to me the most she will be able to claim is 500 euro in damages for the car and that they will not entertain a PI claim for such a minor damage but we shall have to wait for her to get back from her holiday!

but they said if she tries to make a claim (fals or true) the matter is fully investigated and there are doctors who are trained to detect ppl who are faking injuries!

so I dont know, if she wants she can take me to court

• Registered Users Posts: 25 SDK

C_Breeze wrote:
    OMG who cares , its the tinyest of scratches on her car (and she doesnt even care it seems) and no damage to your car . - Get on with your life.

I never understood why people are so precautious and over reactive when it comes to little bumps with cars

If somebody bumped into you while walking down the street chatting on your phone and you dropped your phone and scratched it .. would you call the police and demand to know the persons personal details.

the scratche on her car would propably cost 20 euro to fix (if she was bothered)

Not so, I hit some ol fellas van from behind on a motorbike....he got out looked at the scratch...opened and closed the door. Said thats fine...as long as the door opens....there was a minor scratch/dent on the bumper. Mean while my front forks are bent, and the headlights hanging out...front panels broken. Next morning first thing he does before brushing his teeth "hi yea, the door needs replacing and the bumper too"....he was chancing his arm...you can never be too careful.

its just so silly it wasnt even a hard hit the smallest scratch on her car and she is now claiming for personal injury what sortof injury occurs when u are in bumper to bumper traffic and the cars were barely moving, I was also told that if she tries to give false info she can end up paying herself.

I am jsut so curious to know how she sustained her back injury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

Anna23 wrote:

I am just so curious to know how she sustained her back injury
    did you tell your insurance company that you called the Gardai? when you where on the phone to the Gardai at the time did you tell them she left the scene and she was making an illegal turn? the reason I'm asking are not all calls to the Gardai recorded? if so then there is a log of her leaving the scene of an accident and as was said an offense in itself maybe your insurance can use that as part of the defense.

you said you looked at her car and it had extra damage to it, was any of this damage visible at the time of your original accident? if not she could have had a second smash as she fecked off and this is where the damage and alleged back injury came from. also would the damage to your car not give some indication as to the damage she sustained? They said she is on holiday that's nice of her. would plane travel not aggravate a whiplash injury? surely her doctor would have advised her not to travel if she was in that much pain?all worth mentioning to your insurance company IMO

• Advertisement

I have only seen the other probs with her car the next day, so yeah I did mention to teh insurance that her can was damaged on the side just in case she claimes I did that as well, all they said its that they wont even entertain a PI claime based on the small damage that was done to her car, I went to the garda station today and gave a statment, as I work for a mobile company, I was able to pull all the information regarding all the calls that were made at the time of the incident and gave them to the insurance with teh picture and I have 2 witnesses who are willing to speak to the insurance to tell them she was fine perfectly fine, and yes I did say that she is on holiday and if she were injured shouldnt she be in hospital, so they kinda know who they are dealing with, also the garda guy said to me, if the damage was minor they wont entertain anything coming from her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

Anna23 wrote:
    I went to the garda station today and gave a statment, ............. I have 2 witnesses who are willing to speak to the insurance to tell them she was fine

was gonna suggest you made a formal statement anyway so the Gardai have it on file she left the scene. as for the witness saying she's fine if they didn't examine her and are not doctors it may not be considered. However they may have noticed her attempt at an illegal turn which would be very handy i would think. witness to a possible illegal turn could very well make the accident her fault or at the very least partially to blame.

Anna23 wrote:
    and yes I did say that she is on holiday and if she were injured shouldnt she be in hospital,

or at the very least went to her GP, who from experience would have sent her straight to A&E for X-rays.
    If she tries for PI your insurance company may have her examined by their doctor and will inform the doc of her travel etc, they may even request her medical history from her doc. then again they may examine her and keep quiet and nail her when it comes to crunch time for what may be a fraudulent PI claim.

now she is entitled to claim for the damage (if you are at fault, and I'm not sure where the fault lies because of her turning) but lets be honest its a pi$$y little scratch from your photo so she must me a bit soft in the head to do that. I'd say she went home and her other half saw it and saw €€€€ from a fake PI claim.

anyway best of luck with it

we shall see when she comes back from her holiday hope she isnt trying to make a fraudulent claime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

dade wrote:
    I'd say she went home and her other half saw it and saw €€€€ from a fake PI claim.

I had a minor tip with some gimp down in Cork and a small piece of plastic popped off the front of his car. There was more damage to my car - a small dent in the front of the bonnet.

All friendly to me the day it happened - then called me back the day after and told me repairs would cost 2 grand. F*cking chancer. When I rang my insurance company back they told me that because his claim was greater than €1,500 they would send an assessor out to view the damage to his car. Me being a nice bloke I rang him back and explained this and that maybe he could go and get a second quote for me. The prick came back with a quote for the same repairs from different garage for €1,460. I rang my insurance back and never heard another word about it. :) Tosser.

Good luck Anna!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

You know where she parks yes?

Drop a couple of euro beside the door of the car and photograph when she bends to pick it up.

Is that gum on my shoe?

Hi Anna

Dont mean to sound blunt....but you went into the back of her, your liable, end of story, she could have slammed on the breaks, she could have been trying to knock down some gardai! Doesnt matter, you technically didnt keep enough of a distance.

The fact she left the scene isnt a big deal as there were no major injuries, and its RARE for gaurds to attend the scene if theres no injuries, its a civil matter....and even if she had no insurance, tax, nct tyres, whatever, your insurance are still legally obligated to pay out.

And with regards injuries, people can still claim even if the impact was only slight, and if she didnt attend hosp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

hey, i crashed my own car 6mths ago, i drove it into an eircom pole and broke the pole (which stopped traffic),
    i didnt hit anyone and i was the only vehicle involved but when the gardai were contacted it took them 2 hours to come to the scene (there was 3 gardai stations within a 4mile radius)
    they also told me not to leave the scene until they arrived!!!! by the time they arrived the accident was 2 and a half hours beforehand!!! they came took my name and said i could then go to the hospital!!!
    this country is a joke!!!!!
    please do go to the guards thou because if she does eventually report it ur in there first with a statement!!!

yes I went to the garda yday made a statment, and also showed my insurance the damage I did to her car, the guy who deals with this said he wont even entertain a PI claime, and if she does do that tehy will fully investigate it, and yes I will drop a few euros beside her car and take a few photos if she decides to go ahead with the PI!

After numerous calls to the guy in Quinn who is dealing with my claim, he finally answered his phone (obviously) my car crash is not important, I was told by him that the woman is kinda giving him the run around and she is in germany now but she doesnt know if she is making a claim or not, she is seeing a doctor, my question is can this doctor help her fake a back injury and can she get away with lying after teh insurance come out to see that there were no real damage and defo u can not get a back injury from that.

The guy from Quinn Direct is very ignorant and doesnt even want to speak to me, called him once or twice and he basically hung up on me.

Now I am looking to make a complaint against him to his own boss, I have written the letter, but is it a good idea to piss him off? I have been nothing but nice to him, but today he just pi ssed me off excuse my language and I basically said to him u hung up on me on monday and never rang back, and today on the phone he says to me " oh I was meant to call you back" what an ignorant little pr ick!

The only thing I can think about is this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Anna23 wrote:
    The guy from Quinn Direct is very ignorant and doesnt even want to speak to me, called him once or twice and he basically hung up on me.

Now I am looking to make a complaint against him to his own boss, I have written the letter, but is it a good idea to piss him off? I have been nothing but nice to him, but today he just pi ssed me off excuse my language and I basically said to him u hung up on me on monday and never rang back, and today on the phone he says to me " oh I was meant to call me back" what an ignorant little pr ick!

The only thing I can think about is this

I would wait until the case is resolved before complaining against him.

Alternatively, you can get a senior to remove him from the case, considering the circumstances. If you could get the senior to personally oversee the case, it may help your defence.

A letter is nice and official, but nothing would strike fear like you coming to their office in person and tearing a few strips off them.

Advertisement