Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Moderator on a Zeroed Rifle

Options
  • 01-08-2007 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi All,

I want a ABS case for me gun & the local gun dealer has one at the moment but its not big enough to hold the rifle with the moderator on it. The guy told me that removing the moderator will not through out the sight (zero) of the gun while a friend who shoots regular said that if I remove it the sights need to be re-zeroed everytime its taken off & put on.

Anyone know if this is true?

Thanks,
    Ian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Hi All,

I want a ABS case for me gun & the local gun dealer has one at the moment but its not big enough to hold the rifle with the moderator on it. The guy told me that removing the moderator will not through out the sight (zero) of the gun while a friend who shoots regular said that if I remove it the sights need to be re-zeroed everytime its taken off & put on.

Thanks,
    Ian

Ian,

I can only speak from my experience and it has never thrown my zero off when I remove my silencer for cleaning. Hope that helps...

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Removing the mod and replacing it should not move the zero (if it does there is something inconsistent in the setup)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Over heard on more than one occasion shooters telling people
    not to leave the mod on when the rifle is in storage.
    Cant remember the reasons why though.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

bullets wrote:
    Over heard on more than one occasion shooters telling people
    not to leave the mod on when the rifle is in storage.
    Cant remember the reasons why though.

~B

Because mods are usually aluminium, and you get an oxidisation weld between the steel and the alloy. Nearly impossible to remove then.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I always remove the mods from my rifles when i return them to the safe and it never effects the zero. leaving them attached will cause corrosion on the muzzle crown which will ultimately ruin your zero permanently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Hi All,

Thanks,
    Ian

Perhaps he is refering to the rifle having a different zero when fired with and without the moderator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Even the zero change shouldnt be that big a problem either,if the set up is done correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Perhaps he is refering to the rifle having a different zero when fired with and without the moderator.

That definitely does happen, mods do effect point of impact without a doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think the type of fitting screw/clamp etc might have more of an effect than simply removing and replacing it.
    For instance the Moderator I have Webley Pro-system is a clamp on wih two delrin rings clamping the barrel.
    I have wrapped a ring of pvc electrical tape around the barrel at the point where the rear tightening nut was first fitted.
    This allows me to fit the moderator in the same place every time.
    I remove it for cleaning after every session.
    I would imagine that there could be an effect with a screw on mod if the mod was particularly unbalanced and when stripped for cleaning the internals were not assembled in the same order thus changing the weight distribution within the mod.
    However that is pure conjecture on my part ;)
    to the OP have you tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

the idea of removing the mod before storage is to not allow any carbon build up to fall back down the barrel and on to your bolt ,as for removing it,will effect zero?,never heard of it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭freddieot

I've heard that sory about affecting zero but I take my mod off all the time and have never noticed more than about one click of a difference at 200yd zero. Always try to tighten it to the same resistance, if it is one that screws on.

Don't leave it on the rifle, moisture and other **** can collect in it and make it's way into your barrel, even after cleaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

Thanks all, for help & advise. Got me plastic box for the gun :) oh and it didnt effect the zero

Plenty more numpty questions to follow no doubt.

Ian

Advertisement