Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for an old 3 bb modem

Options
  • 01-08-2007 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I'm going away shortly, and I need to get a modem that I can put foreign sims into, to use local Pay As You Go data packs. as far as I know, 3 have since locked their modems so you cannot use other sims with them. But the first release of the modems were not locked, as I know for a fact someone uses his one in Spain with a local PAYG data deal.

Basically I need to get a solution for having net usage while abroad without having to rely on web cafés and hotspots. I know Vodafone offer roaming, but unfortunately thats a 100mb/month limit and I'd use that up in 2 nights.

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I've got one of them - will sell it to you for 129 euro + 9 months rental.

deal?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Well I was thinking I could sign up to 3, and we could just swap the hardware?! I could give you a bit of bob for your troubles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

an old 3 data modem??.........but they've only been out since may:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I have one of the ones that are unlocked I think. It was the first day they came out so should be unlocked. Anyway i just cancelled the poxy service so will be looking to sell on ebay to get money back soon. So make me a offer would like to recoup as much cost as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

I've had two .. one early one that didn't come with a SIM and then a later one that did come with a SIM.

Both detected non-3 networks and would let you "Register" them.

Do you know how to tell if your modem's locked ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

tbh I dont know how to tell if it's locked or not. All I know is that I need it to be able to work abroad, to pick up foreign sim cards. I know of someone who bought a 3 modem a while back and it does work in Spain for example. But afaik the later ones are locked and only work with the 3 network. Not sure how to test this...putting a Vodafone sim in may be a way of doing it?

Advertisement