Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What size bike?

Options
  • 01-08-2007 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to get into doing some xc biking and just keeping fit. I'm on the lookout for a budget bike but I'm unsure as to what size I should get.

I'm 5' 11" about 12.5 st. Should I go for an 18", 20" frame?

Also am I better off to buy a budget entry level bike new or try to pick up something second hand that might be a bit sturdier?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Hi all,

I'm looking to get into doing some xc biking and just keeping fit. I'm on the lookout for a budget bike but I'm unsure as to what size I should get.

I'm 5' 11" about 12.5 st. Should I go for an 18", 20" frame?

Also am I better off to buy a budget entry level bike new or try to pick up something second hand that might be a bit sturdier?

go to a shop and try one out! all of them vary! and particular one catch your fancey?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

It really depends on the particular bike, but at 5'11'' you're probably looking at something between 17" and 19". The reach (length) of the bike is probably more important though. Make sure to try the bike out for size before purchasing.

If you're on a tight budget I'd recommend going second-hand. You'll get a lot more for your money. Very low-priced entry level mtbs tend to be a false economy.

You can often find good deals on http://www.mtbireland.com and http://www.epicmtb.com

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Your legs mean more than height. I am 5 11 but only take a jean inseam of 30-31.

My MTB is 17, hybrid is 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Cheers for all the advice lads.

I've found a Trek 3900 going in Cork so I'm going to check it out.

Would I be able to upgrade this later on if I wanted to?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

I picked the bike up yesterday. It has a 21" frame and suits me fairly well. I haven't had a chance to take it out for a proper spin yet but I'll get it out tonight.

It's in great nick, almost new and I got it for €200. I'm well pleased with it. Must head into halfords tonight to get a helmet and lock.

Any advice on what kind of helmet and lock to get? I'm just looking for something that will do the job without devastating my wallet :D

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement