Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids on leashes

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Thaedydal wrote:
    The restaint that the bbys rein offer is a lot less damaging then what a child can do when resisting against an adult holding it's hand/wrist.

I wouldn't go as far as dangerous but definitely having your hand tightly grasped is going to be uncomfortable for most kids since their hand is going to have to be pulled up into the air with it which isn't a nice position to be in for very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Small kids do not have any sense. Just because picking a shiny leaf off a busy road is going to get them killed is no good reason for them not to pick up the leaf. A leash stops them from getting themselves into trouble but its like putting a leash on a cat they are not going to like it. The flipside to this is kids dont like going to bed, eating, going into the buggy, waiting for the green man, not smashing your new plasma etc etc.

The good thing is as a parent you are charged with minding this small child and any tool which makes it easier for you is a no-brainer.

In my opinion only someone who does not have a child would argue against leashes. I dont have a leash for mine btw but would not hesitate to use it if the child was of a wandersome nature.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

kmick wrote:
    In my opinion only someone who does not have a child would argue against leashes. I dont have a leash for mine btw but would not hesitate to use it if the child was of a wandersome nature.
    Ditto :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Thaedydal wrote:
    no Gran Hermano was taking the piss.
    Yes I know he/she was , but was taking the piss in a way that is suggesting that giving your kid an electronic jolt when he/she gets out of range may mot be the best way to manage your child. This is my point exactly!
    Thaedydal wrote:
    So di11on you can't see an dangers when a person is taking a 2 year old for a walk then ?
    Of course I see the dangers. But I feel there are better ways of dealing with them than restraining them using a leash/harness.

kmick wrote:
    I'm a parent of 2 and right now I'm in a house with 3 other parents. All 3 of them do not like the idea of a harness for children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

di11on wrote:
    Of course I see the dangers. But I feel there are better ways of dealing with them than restraining them using a leash/harness.
    What would you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

My parents (who by the way I consider to be excellent and fair parents) used baby reins on both myself and my brother when we were young, my mother has even admitted tying me to her deckchair for a few days on holidays after a particularly nasty incedent where I had wandered off and was missing for a few hours. Never did me an ounce of harm (and I don't have a huge bondage fetish :P).

however, what did happen, some nosy old woman told my mother that tying up her son was cruel, and my mother listened to her and felt so guilty for doing it that she stopped and reverted back to the buggy for him when we were going to busy places, the upshot of this was that he got so used to his buggy that he wouldn't walk anywhere and ended up using the buggy until he was nearly five.

I will have no problem using the reins on my son, it's well worth the added security in a busy place, and much healthier than pushing him around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Generally not on this forum but the title caught my eye. Not a parent but having heard stories about being on a leash as a child, I pretty much needed it. I needed to be tied into my baby car seat with 2 leashes, 1 was not enough as I use to get out of it. When kids are so young they don't comprehend right and wrong..........they just do what they want to do and if having them on a leash helps keep them from wandering then yes it's a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

For those who think that a 2 year old can be reasoned with to behave responsibly on a busy street is delusional.
    i have on occasion let my daughter walk in the shopping centre but she inevitably runs off after wriggling out of my grasp. So I drag along my 3.5yr old in order to dash after her . This would not work in the city. The only alternative is the harness or the buggy.
    I choose the buggy cause it's easier to deal with 2 children so I guess she's going to grow up to be fat, except she isn't cause she gets to run around at home, in the park or at the playground.
    I love the way people make wild generalisations that buggy children are lazy all the time or harness children are restrained all the time.

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Generally not on this forum but the title caught my eye. Not a parent but having heard stories about being on a leash as a child, I pretty much needed it. I needed to be tied into my baby car seat with 2 leashes, 1 was not enough as I use to get out of it. When kids are so young they don't comprehend right and wrong..........they just do what they want to do and if having them on a leash helps keep them from wandering then yes it's a good thing.

This reminds me of a story my mum likes to tell of when she was in a shop with my two sisters. They're a year apart and were in double buggy at the time. At one point she turned around and saw that the two girls had overturned the buggy and were walking around with it on their backs!!! I'd love to have seen it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

As children me and my twin brother loved the harnesses we had - we used to pretend we were horses pulling a carriage - but that was back in the 60s when it was OK to do anything you wanted to children :)

We never used them with either of our two children - there is 11 years between them so we never had to cope with two small children - as we tended to use a combination of buggies and those rucksack things with the children in them if there was a busy road nearby and out when it was safe. personally I don't see the harm in harnesses. While you can reason with a two year old it tends to take too long when you have to make split second decisions and they tend to forget what you have agreed on when confronted with something that grabs their attention.

The only time I ever used a harness was on my 7 year old nephew. I took him into Mothercare and showed him a harness. I then explained in no uncertain terms that I would buy one if he ever ran away from me in the street again....

Advertisement