Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM or pre-load CC when abroad- best option?

Options
  • 01-08-2007 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

hi,

heading to south america for a few weeks and was wondering which is the best option in terms of fees and charges - to pre-load my CC and use it to withdraw cash or to use my ATM card which has cirus.

Any advice much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'd just preload my CC. Be easier, but keep the ATM as a backup. ATMs outside the EU (afaik) can be liable for withdrawal charges also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

ATM is the safest option.

If you pre-load your credit card, you are not covered for loss of those
    funds if your card is lost/stolen/cloned. Pre-load at your own risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

If you pre-load your CC and it gets stolen then the CC company will not cover that money so an ATM card is safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

also a lot of CC companies stilll charge you when you're in credit even though you're actually withdrawing your own money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'd use the ATM and keep the CC as a backup. You can always move funds back and forth as required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I'd do half and half if you can plus some cash too - last time I did that bloody ATM swallowed my card and I would have been stranded if I hadn't been lucky enough to have some cash on me as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Pre-load costs you less but ATM is more convenient.

Check with your bank what the charges for withdrawing on the ATM are - if it's a per transaction fee then only withdraw sizeable amounts - if it's a percentage you can't do anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

also a lot of CC companies stilll charge you when you're in credit even though you're actually withdrawing your own money.

This claim should be substantiated.

The ATM fees will run c 4.5% : a backup plan might include Western Union

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

CC Companies charge a withdrawal fee up up to 2.5% + an exchange rate fee. If the card is pre-loaded the only fee you won't pay is interest.

Cash from CC / ATM card - the fees will be much the same. They also usually have a maximum fee, so taking $400 out at a time will be cheaper than 4 x $100 withdrawals.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I have a student credit card and im protected if the card is lost/stolen.. Its with AIB. However, I get charged a few euro ("Cash Advance Fee") for withdraws from my Credit Card.

While abroad, I use mostly cash and have the CC as backup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

ircoha wrote:
    This claim should be substantiated.

Its not a 'claim' its a fact. Go to:

http://www.ifsra.ie/frame_main.asp?pg=%2Fconsumer%2Fcr%5Fintr%2Easp&nv=%2Fconsumer%2Fcr%5Fnav%2Easp

and click on 'latest surveys' and then on the credit card cost survey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Sully wrote:
    I have a student credit card and im protected if the card is lost/stolen.. Its with AIB. However, I get charged a few euro ("Cash Advance Fee") for withdraws from my Credit Card.

all credit cards are protect when lost or stolen but if you read the T+Cs of most credit cards they will not cover you for any loss accrued if you pre-load your CC and then it gets stolen

Advertisement