Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity cables from shed to mains

Options
  • 01-08-2007 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

just wondering - i have a shed at the back of my house which is supplied with elctricity from the mains. i want to dig a ole in my garden about 600mm deep. i don't have a notion where the cables from shed to house would be. surely they'd be buried well below ground? what should i do?

anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Finneganjp

Firstly before attempting to dig, turn off the MCB in the house side consumer unit which supplies the shed. Look at your consumer unit and the location of the shed and ask yourself if you were to bury a cable from the house to the shed where would you run it. If you are digging even remotly close to this location be aware they may be a cable below. (Dig by hand and slowly). However if you are digging in a location far removed from the shed and the house I wouldnt be too concerned. Usually all burried cables will have warning tape about 150mm above the cable and the sand between the warning tape and cable (however if this was initially a DIY job it may not be the case).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Go and have a good look around the garden and try and find it. Have a look at where it enters the shed and try and find where it enters the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

A bit out there, but if armoured cable was used, you could try a metal detector !

Advertisement