Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me some anime (yet again...)

Options
  • 01-08-2007 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

I could have just hiijacked Placebo's thread, but thought I might as well start my own one as I'm looking for a series, not a movie...
    Something that has already finished airing would be preferred

I'm currently watching Darker than black (fantastic), Devil may cry, Samurai Champloo, Naruto shippuuden and bleach (I've skipped the last 3-4 filler episodes of bleach though)
    I've recently watched (and enjoyed) Ergo Proxy, Haruhi Suzumiya and Death note

My all time faves would be something like Elfen Lied, Berserk, Cowboy bebop

(I've also watched paranoia agent, hellsing, basilisk, ghost in the shell: sac and a few others that I can't think of now...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

hey,what did you think of haruhi suzumiya,i started watching this and it seems a bit childish,what did you think of it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

It's not the kind of show that I could easily recommend to somebody, but I found it quite enjoyable.
    Just watch the first couple of episodes, and if it hasn't hooked you by then you might as well give up...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

The Skull Man is currently showing in Japan, but theres some eps online. I seen the first one, and it was pretty cool.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Saruwatari wrote:
    The Skull Man is currently showing in Japan, but theres some eps online. I seen the first one, and it was pretty cool.
    Actually this has finished up airing as of about two weeks ago, thirteen episode long series.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

"My all time faves would be something like Elfen Lied, Berserk, Cowboy bebop"

What you're looking for is called Gungrave. Start on episode 2 and don't watch episode 1. Its basically a spoiler episode with exact scenes from later in the series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Well, I think that DingChavez is 100% right - based on the anime you list as 'all time favs' Gungrave sounds like it might be right up your alley.

Essentially 'character-driven action'. First episode is a spoiler - much more so then Berserk's first episode...not sure about skipping it though - if you are watching all episodes in a very short time-period then it's probably a good idea.

The Skull Man was good with a few hooks and might suit as well, and it has reached episode 13 (which is the final ep). But it 'feels' unfinished (probably deliberately) and nowhere near as complete as Gungrave.

If you liked Ergo Proxy then try .Hack//sign(a bit brighter and some questionable plot, but it's an altogether decent piece) or Noir(assassins, good music and lots of action; character development a bit limited and less 'fantasy'; story arc comes to a definite conclusion, though it's a bit telegraphed).

If you liked Paranoia Agent, I think you should give Serial Experiments Lain a shot (THE all time classic of the genre in my opinion, and probably one of my favourite animes full stop).

One anime that would tie together both Ergo Proxy and Paranoia Agent - without being as deep or dark as either - is 'The Big O' (subbed version, of course). It's heavy on the action, but has a definite story arc. It has two seasons completed to a point where there is an inferred conclusion to everything, and a third season is on order. It kinda descends into a 'monster of the week' type of show in places and sometimes seems to try too hard to be 'cool'. To be honest, I hated it when I started to watch, especially since I had seen some episodes dubbed in English already - but in the end both character development and a decent story arc won out to provide an enjoyable experience.

Actually, forget all that(but after all that typing, I'm not deleting my post! :p ). Gungrave sound perfect. If I had to describe it it would be "Berserk-meets-Cowboy Bebop-meets-Hellsing-meets-Trigun(but in a good way)".

Excellent, thanks for the suggestions guys.
    Gungrave and the Skullman sound ideal, they should definitely do me for now, but after I've finished those I might check out a couple more of psicic's recommendations (it'd feel rude not too after all the effort that went into that post:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

tman wrote:
    Excellent, thanks for the suggestions guys.
    Gungrave and the Skullman sound ideal, they should definitely do me for now, but after I've finished those I might check out a couple more of psicic's recommendations (it'd feel rude not too after all the effort that went into that post:p)

Yay! Someone actually read one of my posts - usually it's just the moderators 'cos they have to! If you look at the help section, you can find out how to put me on your ignore list. To be honest, I type a lot and it usually isn't worth it!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

i wanna get the blood+ series on dvd but i cant seem to find it anywhere,any one know where to get them? either online or in dublin somewhere

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

wild arms series is good!

• Advertisement

rejkin wrote:
    i wanna get the blood+ series on dvd but i cant seem to find it anywhere,any one know where to get them? either online or in dublin somewhere
    I don't think that a version with english subs has been released as of yet. I doubt we'll see any sign of it before Adult Swim get around to airing all of the episodes tbh...

It's a great show btw, another one of my favourites:)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm totally hooked on Claymore at the moment. Its up to episode 19 or 20. Took a while to get going, but I love it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 KireruX

if u liked the berserk anime, can't miss the manga, is by far the best manga ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

TmB wrote:
    I'm totally hooked on Claymore at the moment. Its up to episode 19 or 20. Took a while to get going, but I love it now.

Same here :) , waiting for episode 20. 26 Episodes in total so its close to finishing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

i don't know if i can repeat this enough but, mushishi is fantastic. everybody should check this out. also haibane renmei is quite good if your looking for something easier going than gungrave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Full metal alchemist is pretty damn good, film was so so though.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

KireruX wrote:
    if u liked the berserk anime, can't miss the manga, is by far the best manga ever.

Truth is spoken.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Try watching Evangelion. Warning: some of it is total head-f**k material. But once you fast-forward some of the dribble, you'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

2 series I enjoyed which i dont see mentioned here are eureka 7 and Witch Hunter Robin.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

angel cop 1-6 !some good old school manga!=D

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote:
    Try watching Evangelion. Warning: some of it is total head-f**k material. But once you fast-forward some of the dribble, you'll be ok.
    I made the mistake of watching end of evangelion before the rest, and simultaneously ruining the story while not having a clue wtf is going on. very tempted to check out the series though, even after that experience...

I've already watched and enjoyed Eureka 7 and FMA, should've put those in the the original post but was having trouble remembering all that I've seen:o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

watched Escaflowne? Code Geass?

I love Samurai Champloo. Great start too.

the elements compose a magnum opus
    my modus operandi is amalgam
    steel packed tight in microchip
    on my arm a sign of all-pro
    the ultimate reward is honor, not awards
    at odds with the times in wars with no lords

a freelancer,
    a battle cry of a hawk make a dove fly and a tear dry
    wonder why the lone wolf don't run with a klan
    only trust instincts and be one with the plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Chobitsxxlove

i was watching Paranioa Agent and like i dont get what its about. lol i must sound idiotic but like its a kid killing people and essentially 'putting them out of misery' but like i dont get the point. hah. and have you ever watched Sy-Cry-ed? just wondering if u did and id like your opinion. or anyone else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

tman wrote:
    I made the mistake of watching end of evangelion before the rest, and simultaneously ruining the story while not having a clue wtf is going on. very tempted to check out the series though, even after that experience...

Same here, but the thing is i stopped watching it half way through because A) i didn't know what the hell was going on and B) It didn't it spoil anything for me because of A :D. A friend of mine said to check out the series before watching the end so i might try that.

Id agree with the others, Gungrave is really worth checking out. It doesn't have a tremendous amount of fighting or shoot-outs(compared to what you think it should, it does in the later episodes) but the animation & storyline mixed with the excellent soundtrack is what really seals the deal with Gungrave. And also what DingChavez said, if you don't want any spoilers straight from the start then skip episode 1 as its the almost the exact same as an episode later on, although watching episode 1 personally doesn't ruin watching Gungrave anyway and episode 1 infact gives it somthing to work from and leaves you thinking throughout.

Id recommend giving Claymore a watch, as TmB said, might take a few episodes to get going but when it does its very enjoyable. And after watching Episode 20 the ending is shaping up to be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Would agree with Fullmetal alchamist, Evangelion, Noir and Gungrave.

Claymore and Bokurano are another two good ones, but they're still being aired at the moment.

Advertisement