Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organic Dog Food

• 01-08-2007 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Would anybody know where I could get organic dog food for my new puppy? Apart from buying online are there any shops in the Dublin area that usually stock it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sorry, but I have to ask. Why ORGANIC dog food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 dimple

The same reason why people choose to eat organic food!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Burns pet food is organic
    You could try some vets - I don't know what area in Dublin you are in but the Raheny Vets sell it as do Estuary Kennells in Swords

Burns are based in Limerick so if you look up their number they could give you a list of stockists and send you some samples

They do mini bites suitable for puppies !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Sounds unnecessarily expensive to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 krishna1978

Hi There i live in Navan and Used to feed my two dogs burns pet food. It is very good from an after cleaning up point of view. But it is very expensive a big bag think 15kg would cost around 50.00 euros. This can be purchased from any vet or pet store i.e one in blanch.

I changed then to Red mills and it does the same not to sure if it is organic or not but for 15kg bag its 24.99 half the price and they love it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Glowing wrote:
    Sounds unnecessarily expensive to me!
    I have to agree. It's twice to three times the cost of other quality dog foods. There is no proven advantage to dogs fed Organic food.

That's great thanks for the pointers guys. It sounds expensive but she is a small breed so a 12kg bag could last a while.

Dimple, is your dog having a reaction to regular food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

James Wellbeloved and Nutro Choice I think are the best brands of dog food out on the market at the moment. They would be the only ones I would recommend to my clients, I'm a dog trainer. It's all natural ingredients in both brands, no additives or chemicals which you will find in some(read a good few!) of the other brands. I think James is a little bit cheaper than Nutro but they are both as good. You can find them in most pet shops if they don't have it in stock they can probably order it in for you.
    Annika

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭✭fits

Glowing wrote:
    Dimple, is your dog having a reaction to regular food?

I'd say that the OP is interested in sourcing food from ethically raised meat. theres nothing wrong with that. Personally I'm very much against battery farming, so I'm happy that the chicken in my Burns chicken and brown rice, are not battery chickens.
    While Burns is expensive at 50 euro, its still 10 euro cheaper than some other brands. My dogs absolutely thrive on it (and they didnt on other premium foods).
    One good thing to say about Red Mills is that it is locally produced.

• Advertisement

I didn't even consider that side of it - I can't imagine the meat that goes into the regular tins is 'ethically' farmed. Good point.

We used to feed our old dog those tinned meatballs - he loved them, and it was cheaper than tins of dog food. What does that tell you? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

I prefer to feed my dogs a good quality food - it's a personal choice.
    I have 3 terriers and a 28 euro bag of Burns lasts me about 4-5 weeks
    Hardly daylight robbery !!!!

Cans of food would be twice the price and I wouldn't dare feed them unknown god knows what !!!!!

Yes my Burns works out at 1 euro per dog per day. Shop bought tins would be *way* more expensive.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm definitely interested in the 'ethical' side of what I eat and also for my dog. A euro a day for a dog is nothing when you think of it. The Burns stuff sounds like the way to go and if it is healthier and minimises the waste that comes out the other end (or improves the quality;) ) then all the better!

Actually Burns food isnt organic, but they do an organic variety...
    Details here...
    http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/dog_food.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Hey all - this is a new brand for me, haven't heard of it, but after looking at their site (thanks fits) I'm interested. Bummer they don't deliver to ROI. Any idea if they have stockists in the Donegal area?

from their site...
    Burns Pet Nutrition products are available from selected stockists throughout Southern Ireland.
    Please contact Burns Pet Nutrition Ireland on (061) 330534
    or by email at
    burnspet@eircom.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have to beg to differ Burns costs me half of what it would to buy ped chum etc. The food is measured and you don't need to feed as much as you would think. Organic food is better all round for an animal just as it is for humans. It's no more expensive than supermarket brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Back Stabbath

Its not just the fact that Burns dog food is organic that its good. Its HOLISTIC which is way way way better for your dog than the crap they sell in supermarkets. No way would I feed my dogs that stuff. Have you read the ingredients? Brewers yeast, derivitives of vegetable origin.... - Would you eat that? Also those supermarket foods usually contain corn and corn gluten which gives dogs bad skin and sugar which they cannot digest and colorings and presevitives that are not permitted for human consumption, why feed your dog that?

I don't know why people don't research every bit about a subject they are undertaking, especially something as important as dog ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

I know my local pet shop are always happy to try to order in what I want, so if you've a good local pet shop they may be able to order burns / nutro in for you ;) the four legged ones in this house eat nutro :)

• Advertisement

I managed to get a bag of the Burns puppy food in the vets in Dundrum. Poppy seems to love it anyway and her poo doesn't smell as bad as when we first got her!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Layla999

dimple wrote: »
    Would anybody know where I could get organic dog food for my new puppy? Apart from buying online are there any shops in the Dublin area that usually stock it?

Hi I get my shih-tzu burns mini bits in Raheny Vet Hospital and they about €10.60 a bag hope this helps you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Layla999 wrote: »
    Hi I get my shih-tzu burns mini bits in Raheny Vet Hospital and they about €10.60 a bag hope this helps you

Em, dont know if you noticed, but this thread is over 3 years old... so doubt the person is still looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 RhodeIslandRed

I give my two bichons certified organic dog food. It's called Bio-Plan and is made in Germany. I got it in Maxi Zoo pet shop in Limerick. It costs 4euro a kilo compared to 5euro a kilo of Royal Canin. It works out at approx 1.50 a day to feed them. Its 20% protein. Also their poo doesn't have such a nasty smell as it used to and isn't as dark in colour (hope you are not having your dinner while reading this!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I give my two bichons certified organic dog food. It's called Bio-Plan and is made in Germany. I got it in Maxi Zoo pet shop in Limerick. It costs 4euro a kilo compared to 5euro a kilo of Royal Canin. It works out at approx 1.50 a day to feed them. Its 20% protein. Also their poo doesn't have such a nasty smell as it used to and isn't as dark in colour (hope you are not having your dinner while reading this!).

This thread is over 3 years old, doubt they are still looking;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 RhodeIslandRed

andreac wrote: »
    This thread is over 3 years old, doubt they are still looking;)

Well someone else might do a search on the subject and be happy to see the updated information:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Michael4002

try dogfooddirect . ie , They import in from Uk and are half the price of Burns and all the others, they also deliver it to your door, ALl their food is fully extruded and hypoallergenic.
    A 15 kg bag from the vets costs €54 and they sell it for €30/€20. They have puppy food also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

We have ours on Robbies Holistic Cuisine and they LOVE it. We have seen a massive improvemt in the GSD who has Hip Dysplasia. She now moves alot more freely so it seems to be a good compliment to her medication. Other than that both of their coats are incredibly shiny and they seem alot happier which makes us happy too :D

Advertisement