Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I nuts?

Options
  • 01-08-2007 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Hi, everybody says I'm a fool but I'm just looking for advice.

I'm thinking of trading everything in for a PS3

I'm talking,
    PSP with 6 games (GTA, Loco Roco, Socom etc)
    Slimline PS2 with 40 games (All Gta's, Black, All WWE, All Tekken, etc)
    Original Xbox with 15 games (HALO 2 limited edition, Oddworld)
    Gamecube with 10 games (Zelda, Mario sunshine, Pikmin, Res Evil etc)
    10 GBA games (Advance Wars 1 & 2, Metroid, Zelda etc)
    5 DS games (Mario Kart, Mario DS, Advance Wars DS, Meteos etc)

I have a XBOX 360 and I haven't played any of these machines in over a year.

Should I keep them for nostalgia or dump them for a shiney black plastic box?

Any Ideas?

J.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

That does seem a bit mad.

If you are going to get rid of them all, at least sell them privately and not as part of a trade in deal to a shop. The likes of Game, Gamestop etc. will give you fúck all for them.

I wouldn't sell them at all but that's me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

don't trade them in.

use www.adverts.ie and sell them to people who will be glad to take them off your hards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I agree with Super_Sonic - if you're dead set on getting rid of them, do it privately and not through Game or Gamestop - you'll probably end up losing out on hundreds by the end of it if you use them.

Anyway - are you mad? I don't think I can make that call. Would I trade all that in for any one console? Not on your life.

I don't say that because I don't like the PS3 (although the current lack of titles would make me hesitant anyway; snap for the 360)... I say that because when you make the swap you'll have no choice left - it'll be a case of play a game on the PS3 or play scrabble with yourself.

I know you say you haven't played them in ages but there's nothing worse than selling a game (or dvd or anything) and then getting a craving for it a day later.

When you own a ps2, gc, xb, xb360, psp and DS you have hundreds of worthwhile games to choose from.
    At the moment, when you own a ps3 you have a handful of worthwhile games to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I agree with the other posters here. You will make much more money by selling them privately rather than trading them into one of the videogame stores. They will offer you paltry prices for the machines and games you have.

Get a good description and list of the items you have, take photographs and list them on http://www.adverts.ie

In case you didn't already know, your boards username and password carry over to adverts.

Certainly I've been interested in a slimline PS2 and some games, so get them up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Trading lots of hardware with great catalogues of games for something new and shiney with very little to play on it (at the moment)? Yes, you are nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Agree with all before me, sell them on adverts (but hold on to the gamecube, it still rocks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

You are totally insane.

Well, i know i'd never do that, and i'd keep those machines, because you'll probably regret not having them anymore somewhere down the line.

Keep them for a few months more. Keep saving money and sell whichever console/games you want rid of. I would be inclined to sell the PS2 and a few games, but keep some - you might want to keep a few to keep playing on the PS3. Keep the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Another vote for "Don't jump! Just think about this for moment!"

There's little point in getting a PS3 right now, especially if you already have a 360 (realistically there can't be more than one or two PS3 exclusive titles that really interest you, if even that), so I'd definetely say it's worth taking the time to sell your stuff off in lots and bits and pieces on adverts or eBay or whatever. You've got a big collection and won't get near its worth if in a shop. Even if you don't get rid of all of it, you'll get far more selling directly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yes - very nutty indeed. A peanut perhaps, maybe a walnut.
    You have a fine collection there, and the PS3 is not worth it YET - maybe in a year or so, but not now. You could probably sell off the GBA (DS supports it) and PS2 (the latter if you want a PS3), but I cant imagine you getting much for it. Id say hang on to it all (unless there is some rubbish games you wish to offload) for the moment anyway - trust me, as soon as you sell, you'll get a hankering for one of the newly disappeared games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

People always regret trading in or selling old consoles to get new ones. The amount of times I've heard

'Damn, I wish I didn't sell my nes/Snes/megadrive/etc to buy X console'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

I always regret selling my snes and 35 games. All that for a PS3 is not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Utterly bonkers
    The PS3 still isn't worth the asking price, let alone having to let go of all of those precious gaming memories for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

If you really want the PS3 I'd just sell the 360 and the PS2 (without the games) - I'd imagine they'd cover they should cover most of the cost of a PS3 between them. The PS2 will be pointless when you have a PS3 to play the games on, while I wouldn't keep a 360 you're not using because it's honestly a ticking time bomb, once it's out of warranty you should sell it before it stops working - the price is due a drop and the hardware is due a revision soon so it won't be that painful to buy another at a later date if you want one again.

The other items are all worth keeping though, especially the Gamecube which has a lot of unique games and the portables which are handy to have when you need something you can take with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yes that would be stupid and crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭j14

Me again.
    I've been offered €400 for everything. Should I accept it? I think I've already made my mind up.
    I've never used any of these machines in the last year. They are just gathering dust in the attic.
    I might even just get a credit voucher and hold onto it until later in the year.

I'll admit I'm a hoarder, I still have my Commadore 64 and my N64 in the attic (both with a full catalogue of games). I don't see much point in holding onto something that I will never use again.

The PSP was handy for the bus when I was in college but I drive everywhere now. The Gamecube was packed up over a year ago for a sale which feel through and never re-opened. The DS was sold to a friend along with one or two games and the XBOX hasn't been touched since I got the 360.
    By the way the 360 is used everyday.

The main reason behind getting a PS3 is Pro Evo 7. I just cannot use the 360 pad to play Pro Evo. I'm in no rush to buy one as I know there is nothing out yet but come November / December there will be a few good games for it.

Thanks for all of your advice guys and I know it seems I didn't heed any of it but it did help me realise I should move these games on. If I don't play them ever again surely somebody else will get as much enjoyment as I did the first time around.

I'm happy enough with the price I've been offered.

Thanks again,
    Jay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

j14 wrote:
    The main reason behind getting a PS3 is Pro Evo 7. I just cannot use the 360 pad to play Pro Evo. I'm in no rush to buy one as I know there is nothing out yet but come November / December there will be a few good games for it.
    Buy a PS2 > 360 controller adapter? €60, job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Ciaran500 wrote:

Definitely check that option out.

I dunno, €400 for 5 decent consoles and 86 (I think) games doesn't seem that much, but I guess if you want a quick sale, go for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

400 for all that gear is absolute robbery. You could get so much more for them through selling privately.

Also are you sure you want to pay 600 stingers for a console just to play one game when you have a console that is capable of playing the same game and a simple adapter could sort out your control problems.

I would keep the gamecube and some PS2 games if I were you. And I would sell everything else seperately for more money. You are getting a bad deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Put it this way, I'd give you €100+ alone for the XBox, you'd easily get €150+ for the Gamecube, €130+ for the PSP, €160+ for the PS2, and €50+ for the rest of the games, that's nearly €600. They are just guideline prices, and most likely would go for alot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Ciaran500 wrote:

Any links to one of those in ireland? Getting used to playing Pro Evo on 360 but way to used to to ps2 controller!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

what everyone else said, you are mad to sell it for 400, sell it privately

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Any links to one of those in ireland? Getting used to playing Pro Evo on 360 but way to used to to ps2 controller!
    http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/zz-36-xfps36

Very, very unlikely you will find one around Ireland and if you do they will rip you off on the price.

Advertisement