Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Car Ever

Options
  • 01-08-2007 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

probably done to death but anyone any ideas what they think is the best car ever ?
    please don't add "Octavia" just coz you've got one, just nominate what you think is the best car ever and WHY !

I will start and just to show that I it doesn't have to be a Veyron because Clarkson says so I am going to nominate the VW Beetle ( I dont think the reason needs explanation but )
    Brought motoring to the masses and has never truly been surpassed in numbers or sheer longevity.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

BMW E46 M3

Ticks ALL boxes and is pretty much everything you would want in one car.

Ive always said , if i was to be stuck with only one car for the rest of my life .. it would have to be the M3 e46

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭nastysimon

The Mini.
    Revolutionised car design and layout. Made cars more affordable than ever before. Perhaps the most fun ordinary car to drive. The hot versions humbled many a faster car.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

Bagsies the first to say .. 911
    Barely changed design in 40 years, still looks fantastic.
    Bonkers engineering too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Land Rover! Does everything and anything.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

nastysimon wrote:
    The Mini.
    Revolutionised car design and layout. Made cars more affordable than ever before. Perhaps the most fun ordinary car to drive. The hot versions humbled many a faster car.

And the first mass produced front wheel drive car available afaik.

My choice would be the MkI Golf GTi, the original hot hatch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Whils't I do not like Merc's - Now many years on I think the W123's were and still are that little bit special.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Ariel Atom, or Ferrari F40.

TomMc wrote:
    Whils't I do not like Merc's - Now many years on I think the W123's were and still are that little bit special.

Don't forget the diminutive W113 :)

kb_113_chrom.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Honda civic type r its unreal lads!!!111

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The simple truth is, there is no 'best car ever'. If I were forced to choose one car, it'd be the original Lancia Delta HF integrale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bugatti Veyron, but not because Clarkson said so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Anan1 wrote:
    The simple truth is, there is no 'best car ever'..

Thats just stupid.

Yes there is. People are allowed to have their own personal preferences you know. If one car is the best car to me but not to you , whats to say there is no such thing as a best car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Toyota Carina E 1.6 GLi Lean Burn, with towbar. Has to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

The Mercedes Benz S-Class is probably the best car ever when you think about it from a technology and safety point of view. It was the first car with airbags, seatbelt pretensioners and ESP. They now have night vision and pre-collision systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Rolls Royce. There's a reason there is a saying: "It's the Rolls Royce of...watches/ airplanes/ computers/..."

No-one ever says "It's the BMW of..." Actually some do but that's just wrong.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Toyota Avensis Luna D4D, or any Octavia.

C_Breeze wrote:
    Thats just stupid.

Yes there is. People are allowed to have their own personal preferences you know. If one car is the best car to me but not to you , whats to say there is no such thing as a best car?
    ?? Of course people are allowed to have their own personal preferences - why do you think I gave mine? We all have different values when it comes to cars. This is why there is no 'best car ever'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Anan1 is right, there is no best car ever. What there is in fact is "The Most Seminal Car Ever" or the most pioneering.

biko wrote:
    The Rolls Royce. There's a reason there is a saying: "It's the Rolls Royce of...watches/ airplanes/ computers/..."

No-one ever says "It's the BMW of..." Actually some do but that's just wrong.
    BMW make Rolls Royces.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭byrner1

VW Corrado VR6 or CLK 55 AMG

• Advertisement

TomMc wrote:
    Anan1 is right, there is no best car ever. What there is in fact is "The Most Seminal Car Ever" or the most pioneering.
    Older cars also have to be taken in context. The Citroen Light 15 and the DS would be good examples of what you're saying. But a C5, although infinitely less important, is a better car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

One person's best car ever can be the next persons worst car ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

Toyota Avensis Luna D4D, or any Octavia.

It's cos of the boot isn't it? ;)

I'd have to plum for the BMW e46 M3 as well...comfort and performance in one sexy package. Or the M5...no...the M3.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Aston Martin DB9...the looks and oh god the sound of it as you hit the pedal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭want2play

If your talking about how a car drives or performs everyone has their best car.

I say Ford (Model T) for setting the trend of production, even though the Japanese fine tuned production.

....have to be a Shelby or GT40 to drive a Ford every day now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Ford Model T,
    Citroen Traction Avant,
    Mini,
    Toyota Corolla.

All have revolutionised the world in different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

RS4 or 535d(if I cared about fuel consumption)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

maidhc wrote:
    Toyota Corolla.

?????
    fletch wrote:
    RS4 or 535d(if I cared about fuel consumption)

Really - The best car EVER ?

They are both good but come on.

Aston Martin DB9...the looks and oh god the sound of it as you hit the pedal.

Have to agree, one of the best sounding engines ever ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote:
    And the first mass produced front wheel drive car available afaik

Wouldn't that be the Citroen Traction Avant 25 years before the Mini?

Advertisement