Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Literary Financing

Options
  • 01-08-2007 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Hey this might be the wrong forum but someone here may know if one was researching a book with a view to publishing it and this book is relevant to the governement and irish life, is there any bodies within ireland that offer financial assistance/funding?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The government publications office might be able to tell you.....perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

The government publications office might be able to tell you.....perhaps

I would contact the arts council, though I don't know if they'd fund that kind of thing. Is it a work of fiction or a non-fiction book about Irish culture, history or current affairs? If it's the latter you could always try registering for a research degree like a PhD in a university. There are some more funding opportunities that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Are you thinking of self-publishing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

it is a historical book. yes self publishing is certainly an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Have you contacted any publishers?

• Advertisement

not yet but i intend to. i was more or less exploring the avenue of financial assistance before going to a publisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I don't know how exactly they operate but a publishing deal is essentially a loan to cover the researching and writing of the book with the payments coming back from book sales. I don't know if there's any dedicated group (a writer's union or something) that would have decent inside information on how to go about it, maybe contact the writer's museum in Dublin or somewhere like that and ask would they have any contacts.

Thanks very much I appreciate the input.

Advertisement