Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Furniture

Options
  • 01-08-2007 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭

OK, so need to furnish an apartment on a budget and am very impressed with the Argos catalogue (and website).

However, at that price I am worried about the physical quality. I am looking at wooden frame beds (2) and chrome / clear glass Dining table + chairs and coffee table. All are flat pack.

Has anyone any experience in furniture from Argos? I have assembled some things before (desks/shelves) with no problem. So, assuming the assembly is done right, is the quality good? Also, do they look exactly as they do in the photos or are the colours a bit off?

P.S. Am buying sofas, mattresses through normal stores where I can actually "try before I buy", as comfort is critical for these things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Hi Dotsman,

I bought a wooden slatted bed from Argos about 3 years ago and it was a pain in the butt to assemble. You are doing the right thing when it comes to the materess though, I made the mistake of buying the matress with the bed and it is like sleeping on a pile of stones (it wasn't cheap either - 800 euro if I can remember) so I won't make that mistake again.

I also bought a cheap chest of draws for my spare bedroom and the quality is terrible (I guess you do get what you pay for :rolleyes: ) the centre of the chest bows outwards so all the drawers fell off their runners and sat on top of each other.

I had to screw the sides of the dresser to the centre drawer to prevent the bowing, but of course I lost the use of the centre draw as it is screwed shut.

I have bought a couple of those crome breakfast bar high stools and they were fine. And I bought a desk, small filing cabinet and book shelves for my office at home and they are all still in one piece.

Like I said, when it comes to flatpack's you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Hey Dotsman I spent a pretty penny in Clearys in Dublin on my matress. I went to a bloke that worked there 43 yrs and have to say he was realy nice and polite to me he covered every aspect of buying a matress and he took the time out to explain the difference in them.Hope this helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It can be very variable depending on who the original manufacturer is.

We've bought a couple of items, a glass display cabinet that was German made, really well packed, easy to put together and very sturdy, and some other units that had come from a manufacturer in the UK, packaging falling apart, missing parts, rough finish on the veneer, badly fitting glass doors.

You pays your money and takes your chance, as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

dotsman wrote:
    OK, so need to furnish an apartment on a budget and am very impressed with the Argos catalogue (and website).

However, at that price I am worried about the physical quality. I am looking at wooden frame beds (2) and chrome / clear glass Dining table + chairs and coffee table. All are flat pack.

Has anyone any experience in furniture from Argos? I have assembled some things before (desks/shelves) with no problem. So, assuming the assembly is done right, is the quality good? Also, do they look exactly as they do in the photos or are the colours a bit off?

You'd want to be nuts to buy furniture there. Ignore the pics, and avoid the shoddy crap.

Tip- only buy furniture that you have been able to touch and feel first.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Stewy18

Hi guys,

thinking of buying this fabric corner from argos

wondering has anyone bought this recently?
    is it ok??...
    your experience of any other furniture bought from argos????

any feedback ..much appreciated...

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/catalogId/1500001551/partNumber/6284538.htm

• Advertisement

PS..

does anyone know a good furniture store up the north apart from dfs???

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

ikea?

cheap . sturdy. not too bad looking

Martron wrote: »
    ikea?

cheap . sturdy. not too bad looking

thanks...oh had a look at their uk website

for corners pieces price nearly the same and all the pieces i dont like the look of... all rectangle or square shapes ( guess thats how they get it alll flat -packed)

Advertisement