Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf - Warranty Period Query

Options
  • 01-08-2007 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

I am looking to buy a '04 Golf (new shape).

A lot of the cars I have looked at online are offered with warranties, some 1 year, some 2 years.

Given the age of the car, are these warranties being offered by the dealer or do they still form part of the VW warranty?

What is the length of a VW Golf car warranty when bought from new?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jimmyjoe9

New VW car standard warranty only 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

VW offer a 2 year warranty on their new cars therefore any warranty offered on a 2004 VW is more than likely offered by the dealer.

Just becareful as to what is covered under the warranty though. New car warranties tend to cover the car from bumper to bumper. Used car warranties vary and can cover only engines and gearboxes and exclude other parts and/or labour.

Make sure you get exactly what is coverd under warranty in writing from the dealer as verbal agreements are not worth the paper they are written on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

bazz26 wrote:

Make sure you get exactly what is coverd under warranty in writing from the dealer as verbal agreements are not worth the paper they are written on.

Excellent advice.

There is no way there is any remaining manufacturers warranty on an 04 Golf - unless the warranty was extended by VW due to a litany of previous problems and usually an extended warranty is not transferable to any subsequent owner. So as bazz said, it's dealer warranty that you are being offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

So guys, reading between the lines do you think this warranty is being offered due to previous issues with the car?

My first thoughts were that a two year warranty seemed a bit too generous!!

I presume the Full Service History Manual will clarify my concerns?

Thoughts please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

So guys, reading between the lines do you think this warranty is being offered due to previous issues with the car?

No I doubt it. Most dealers will offer some warranty. Not many folks will buy a car without a warranty of some description. Just be sure to get it in writing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Brian Hennessy

I wouldn't buy a Golf, 04 especially. I have one, my second and last VW. Many small electrical problems and now the Catalytic Converter is gone (rattles like mad, won't pass NCT) after only 60,000 miles. VW's warranty is short (2 years) compared to other makes and after 2 years, they don't want to know.

Advertisement