Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I see nepotism is alive and well...

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Is he not qualified for the position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭windy bee

Yes, I saw that today, what a cushy number. That chaps face is always around town ( I think he he even in a band ). He is playing the "youth card" but in reality would not be near politics if it wasn't for "Daddy dear". His CV looks at best undistinguished and highly unremarkable. (Taken from the f fowl website). How can somebody with these qualifications deserve a job like this ? Oh yes I forget, its not what you know...its who you know...Lucky for him eh.

EDUCATION

Primary School: CBS Kilkenny
    Secondary School: Kilkenny College
    Third Level: Colaiste Dhulaigh, Dublin, Temple Bar Music Centre, Dublin

QUALIFICATIONS

# Media Production and Communications (Diploma)
    # Sound Engineering & Music Technology (Diploma)
    # Sociology & Media Analysis

EMPLOYMENT

# Managing Director of Hype Entertainment
    # Freelance Sound Engineer
    # Musician

I have checked the Irish Statue book and the special advisor position entails the following :
    (2) A Special Adviser to a Minister or to a Minister of State, as the case may be, shall—
    ( a ) assist the Minister or the Minister of State, as the case may be, by—
    (i) providing advice,

(ii) monitoring, facilitating and securing the achievement of Government objectives that relate to the Department, as requested by the Minister or the Minister of State, as the case may be, and

(iii) performing such other functions as may be directed by the Minister or the Minister of State, as the case may be, that are not otherwise provided for in this Act and do not involve the exercise of any specific powers conferred on the Minister or the Minister of State, as the case may be, or any other office holder by or under any other Act, and

( b ) be accountable to the Minister or the Minister of State, as the case may be, in the performance of those functions."
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0027/sec0011.html#zza27y1997s11

Well....I suppose seeing as the newly appointed advisor has neither the qualifications, experience or probably the ability to do any of the above, he can probably make a nice mix CD for Daddys new state car.

I am repulsed by the whole setup, it stinks of typical unwarranted preferentialism

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ah, well if he's a degree in music he can just walk in front of the oul fellah singing his praises!

I assume it's up to the candidate to select his staff. If it's not a selection process by others I'm sure this happens up and down the country.

Note to self. Make friends with person with great hear and advise said person to go into politics.

Lol - if you get elected I'll be your bodyguard :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Edit: see first post in thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

remember when dick spring got elected to governemnt with FF it was the Labour Party that wanted to make all of these so called new positions and he appointed nearly his whole family to various positions

so we can thank Dick Spring for these so called "managers":mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Controversial move!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Well done Stephen for posting and highlighting this. Far as I'm aware McGuinness' is not qualified in anything.He was ivolved in a band or something. But as usual, cronyism is more important in Ireland than anything else. Has anybody here actually heard of that 'college' he attended? Hate to be a snob about these things but really, this deserves scrutiny when taxpayers money is involved.
    The people of KK voted overwhelmingly for McGuinness in the recent election so the old adage 'we get the politicians we deserve' certainly applies!

I wonder if this was brought to the attention of a rival political party or perhaps the Irish Indo would they have the balls or interest to print it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Reporter 1

The position is MINISTERS ASSISTANT.
    The job entails constituency work and local PR.

Applicants are chosen by the Department under the recommendation of the Minister.

PR section
    Two years experience working as a journalist with local news paper, member of the National Union of Journalists, Diploma in Media Production and Communications, certificates in Media Analysis and Sociology.

Constituency Work:
    An elected member of Kilkenny Borough Council after topping the poll with 1,096 first preference votes and working with constituents and community groups ever since.

More than enough experience required for the job if you ask me and it just goes to show what an innacurate story in a newspaper can do! Experience means a lot more in to an employer than a qualification and with both journalism and politicis covered Minister McGuinness must be happy with the decision.

And by the way a Ministers Assistant does not get a salary of 50k and there are no expenses!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Reporter 1 wrote:
    The position is MINISTERS ASSISTANT.
    The job entails constituency work and local PR.

Applicants are chosen by the Department under the recommendation of the Minister.

PR section
    Two years experience working as a journalist with local news paper, member of the National Union of Journalists, Diploma in Media Production and Communications, certificates in Media Analysis and Sociology.

Constituency Work:
    An elected member of Kilkenny Borough Council after topping the poll with 1,096 first preference votes and working with constituents and community groups ever since.

More than enough experience required for the job if you ask me and it just goes to show what an innacurate story in a newspaper can do! Experience means a lot more in to an employer than a qualification and with both journalism and politicis covered Minister McGuinness must be happy with the decision.

And by the way a Ministers Assistant does not get a salary of 50k and there are no expenses!!

and apparently now a boards.ie poster, that must also and to the qualifications for the "job"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You should complain to the paper then, they reported the job as having a 50k salary plus expenses.

Probably but theres no pont in getting worked up

And maybe 'Messah' if you conider yourself a contituent.

And maybe 'Messiah' if you consider yourself a constituent.

I have no idea what that sentence is meant to mean

Does it have a point?

Any one who seriously believes that the appointment is not a classic example of nepotism is very naive.

I am sure those working class voters who traditionally voted for FF are thrilled to see there vote counted - Jnr Ministers achievement to date ? - one new well paid job for a ...constituent

Ok Messiah I would like to invite you to come to our office and see what kind of work we do here and I will show you four generations of what you call nepotism and I will show you exactly what has been achieved. And until you see what we do may I suggest that you refrain from such negative criticism until you know exactly what you are criticising.

Stephen thanks for taking that back, the newspapers are not always correct. Much appreciated.

Ok Messiah I would like to invite you to come to our office and see what kind of work we do here and I will show you four generations of what you call nepotism and I will show you exactly what has been achieved. And until you see what we do may I suggest that you refrain from such negative criticism until you know exactly what you are criticizing.

Again I don't really understand you - are you an actual reporter or is that just a handle here, because a certain clarity is lacking in what you are saying.

Are you one of the McGuinness's?
    How would visiting a constituency office/clinic benefit me when we are taking about an appointment attached to a junior ministry?
    There has been 4 generations of jnr ministry in your office?
    And I didn't actually criticize any-one - I simply made a valid comment.

I also wonder how you would know how much or little I am aware of the work done by your office (again not sure which actual office you are referring to) or if I have or have not been to said offices.
    And suggesting people refrain from criticism seems to me to defeat the nature of politics. but maybe you don't need to be politically astute.

Perhaps I might turn my criticism instead to no reply/acknowledgment from an email sent six weeks ago through both John's own website and the Fianna Fail system .

If you are in the business of defending an appointment made on familial basis as some stringently vetted appointment to the best qualified - when " the dogs on the street" know better, I would wonder how much trust any one could have in what you say.

The invite was so you could see first hand what "achievements" the Junior Minister has had to date and also to see why the "appointment is not a classic example of nepotism".
    In relation to your own case, I will PM you as I dont think a chat room is an appropriate place to discuss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Reporter 1 wrote:
    I will PM you as I dont think a chat room is an appropriate place to discuss it.

Calling this place a chat room, OOO the shame of it:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tombillyjack

I've been keeping my eye on this debate and think its time a joined in!
    Firstly surely someone who knows the Constituency work of the Junior Minister is best qualified for the job, if so Andrew is the right person.
    Secondly the comment "isn't he in a band or something"
    what exactly is meant by that comment? is it a dig at musicians that we're not qualified to do anything only pluck strings?
    Oh yeah and before all ye political experts start having a go at me - I'm not affiliated to any political party just think that begrudgery is alive and well in Ireland but i have lived in Kilkenny all my life
    :cool: :cool: :cool:

• Advertisement

haha, sorry about that

Thanks Tommy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

I have no problem with nepotism in family run businesses etc. but, and this is a big BUT, when nepotism spills into the public arena then it is not daddy's money we are talking about here, but the taxpayers money that is being used and abused.

This job should have been open to everyone, advertised accordingly, interview panel set up, and the best person recruited for the job and not just handed to daddy's boy with a wink and a nod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The CPSA should be managing those kind of appointments, and as such, be bound by CPSA recruitment guidelines. Its disgraceful that an elected official can hand his son a job like this. This is why I've never voted FF and never will, and especially cronies like McGuinness.

I totally agree with Bards, could you imagine if Gordon Browns son was pretty much automatically appointed as his advisor the way Andrew McDumDum has, his head would be on a pike before you know it and proper order too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

windy bee wrote:
    I totally agree with Bards, could you imagine if Gordon Browns son was pretty much automatically appointed as his advisor the way Andrew McDumDum has, his head would be on a pike before you know it and proper order too.

McDumDum :D:D:D ..I love it!

Advertisement