Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolphins in Kilcoole?

Options
  • 01-08-2007 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Am i going mad or did i see a dol[phin in the sea by Kilcoole train station this morning as i sat there waiting for the commuter train to move, 7:15 am or so?

Looked like one, big fin and all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Murtinho wrote:
    Am i going mad or did i see a dol[phin in the sea by Kilcoole train station this morning as i sat there waiting for the commuter train to move, 7:15 am or so?

Dolphins and Porpoises are fairly regular off Greystones and Kilcoole and a Pod of Minke whales was spotted off Killiney only two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yup, usually Porpoises I see. And mostly in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

See porpoises regularly along Kilcoole seafront, think dolphins are somewhat bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,938 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

might have been a seal also - frequently see them along the coast here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

Murtinho wrote:

No you are not going mad, the dolphin usually gets the 6:20 but was late that morning.

He has also been spotted a couple of times on the Charlesland DART shuttle bus, until it was pointed out to him that he should not be using this service as he is not fee paying resident of Charlesland (an irate resident mentioned something about catfood and I think that had the desired effect).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Sorry Marcais, it wasn't catfood that was mentioned but the prospect of Dolphin unfriendly Tuna nets.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

Marcais wrote:
    (an irate resident mentioned something about catfood and I think that had the desired effect).

I dont suppose this irate resident was you Marcais? ;)

Sorry Marcais, it wasn't catfood that was mentioned but the prospect of Dolphin unfriendly Tuna nets.

Just to make it clear to any Dolphins out there, Charlesland is a Dolphin friendly area but we don't want you on our shuttle bus (as far as I know, you are entitled to free travel with Bus Eireann anyway).

Sightings confirmed

http://www.iwdg.ie/

31 Jul 2007 harbour porpoise 3 Greystones, Wicklow
    18 Jul 2007 "dolphin" species, possibly harbour porpoise 3 Greystones, Wicklow
    15 Jul 2007 harbour porpoise 2 Greystones, Wicklow
    11 Jul 2007 harbour porpoise 2 Greystones, Wicklow
    9 Jul 2007 bottlenose dolphin 8 Greystones, Wicklow
    9 Jul 2007 harbour porpoise 2 Greystones, Wicklow
    8 Jul 2007 harbour porpoise 2 Greystones, Wicklow
    6 Jul 2007 harbour porpoise 2 Greystones, Wicklow
    6 Jul 2007 bottlenose dolphin 1 Greystones, Wicklow
    3 Jul 2007 bottlenose dolphin 9 Greystones, Wicklow

Advertisement