Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Import

Options
  • 01-08-2007 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi,

Hopefully some of you out there can help with this query. I'm looking to buy a bike in the US and I was wondering what restrictions there are with Customs and excise with bringing it into Ireland.

I'm sure there's some duty that has to be paid but have no idea how much. So if any of you out there can point me in the right direction or provide info that would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

You will pay 6% on the declared value + cost of shipping and insurance and 21% on the cost of supplying the same goods in Ireland.

http://www.revenue.ie/faqs/faq_cat5.htm#q6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

are ya ordering off the web or bringing it home from the US? If you're bringing it home could ya just stick it in a bike bag with all the tags taken off (maybe even dirty it up a bit?) so it's like baggage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

cunnins4 wrote:
    If you're bringing it home could ya just stick it in a bike bag with all the tags taken off (maybe even dirty it up a bit?) so it's like baggage?
    I saw that Wheelworx Bikes in Clondalkin rent bike boxes at 50 euro for the week. Could be a good investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Manone

Probably should have said, I'll be heading there for a holiday and there seems
    to be a bit of a saving with the current exchange rate. I'm trying to weigh up the pro's and cons and if I'm going to be shafted coming thru customs it probably negates any saving.

Bike bag is probably the best option and not sure how convincing a job I'd need to do to get it thru' especially as it's a road bike I'm interested in.

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Manone wrote:
    Probably should have said, I'll be heading there for a holiday and there seems
    to be a bit of a saving with the current exchange rate. I'm trying to weigh up the pro's and cons and if I'm going to be shafted coming thru customs it probably negates any saving.

Bike bag is probably the best option and not sure how convincing a job I'd need to do to get it thru' especially as it's a road bike I'm interested in.

Thanks for the info.

Felt bikes are looking like a very good deal at the moment with the exchange rate. There are several ways to ensure that you don't get caught for customs (though you'll probably be ok anyway).
    1. Don't bring it in in pristine condition with all the labels etc.. attached
    2. Bring it for a spin in the states so it gets a bit muddy/dirty etc..
    3. Any leaflets/warranties that you want to keep shouldn't be there as soon as you open your normal bag - to take this to its full extent, post these items to yourself from the states
    4. Bring a bike box from Ireland with you - that way you can show the customs officials that you brought the bike with you from Ireland (I'm assuming that somewhere on your ticket it will say this)
    5. Finally - the coup de grace - stuff the free space in the bike box with sweaty smelly cycling gear - they'll take one sniff of it and wave you on by!

Hope it works out ok, good luck.

BTW, what are you thinking of buying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Manone

Cheers mcgratheoin,

Sound advice. I'm looking at the US brands and any possible bargains or 'Closeouts' that are on offer. Of course alot of these offers are in the extra small bracket or they are spec'ed to the last in race kit.

I've mailed a few shops to get an idea of what they stock. Alot of shop web pages are not very informative and don't seem to carry the same level of bikes that you get on some of the on-line shops here.

Point to all bike shop owners out there, get your on-line presence sorted if you want to attract custom. Price guides are always good.

I'm looking at maybe going entry level carbon. As I say if there's something that catches my eye I might stretch a little further.

Advertisement