Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DVD to Hi Def using software

• 01-08-2007 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Hey, if I play a regular DVD on a PC connected to a HDTV via a HDMI cable on the graphics card, is there some software that will allow me to upconvert the DVD like on some new players?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

No need the DVD player software is already scaling it when you play it full screen.

All up-conversion DVD players do is take the signal and scale it one of the two HD resolutions 1280x720 or 1920x1080.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

and even if you feed a normal dvd to your hdtv un standard format, your tv will upscale it anyway...these upconverting dvds are only any good if they do a bett job of upconverting than your tv does itself..which, given the amount most people spend on dvd players, they'd be better of letting the tv do it

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Actually the biggest advantage about 'upscaling' dvd players is that they have HDMI output on them, so you're using a lossless digital signal from your DVD player to your TV, rather than an analogue signal. That alone makes them worth buying.

there are tons of dvd players out there with dvi/hdmi out that don't do upscaling. that's not a valid arguement

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Yes it is.

• Advertisement

?? how can a feature on one player be an advantage if the other player has the same feature?

maybe i'm reading your post wrong, but my point is people buy these upscaling dvd payers thinking it will improve their picture. they don't realise their tv is upscaling everyhting anyway that comes in unnder it's native resolution. and i'd bet in 99t% of cases that the scaler in the tv is far superior to the one in the sub 100 euro dvd players that most people buy. i won't argue on the digital being better..totally agree, but saying upscaling dvd players are worth buying for their hdmi connection makes no sense...what about a non upscaling dvd player that has better internal components than your upscaling one, but still has dvi/hmi out? you still end up with a picture at the native resolution of your tv..but one has gone thgouh better components. is the upscaling one still better?

Advertisement