Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Office 2007 Question.....

• 01-08-2007 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

Looking at buying Office 2007 Small Business Edition or up, and I'm seeing these Medialess Kits (with Office 2007 trial) everywhere. Dabs has them listed as OEM for €221 as opposed to the €500+ for the full version.

Is this essentially the same as buying Vista OEM? It's the full copy but doesn't come with the documentation, support etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

You're right. It's the same for the student discounts you buy from the online retailers -- CD and product key; no fancy box or documentation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

or customer support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

good stuff. So this should deffo work then. I see a lot of reference to needing the OPK Kit, but I presume the included trial version does the same thing.

Last question (I should know this one) - the one I'm looking at (office 2007 SB) states W32. This would hardly make a difference if I'm running it on 64-bit Vista?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

SachaJ wrote:
    good stuff. So this should deffo work then. I see a lot of reference to needing the OPK Kit, but I presume the included trial version does the same thing.

Last question (I should know this one) - the one I'm looking at (office 2007 SB) states W32. This would hardly make a difference if I'm running it on 64-bit Vista?
    Don't know about that linked product. I've seen some MS Office software on Dabs that's intended to run on specific brands, such as HP.

The website says you need an MLK:
    MICROSOFT MEDIALESS LICENSE KIT (MLK)
    The Medialess License Kits are the licenses for Microsoft Office 2007 suites and components in the System Builder channel. The end user can purchase a Microsoft Office MLK license within 90 days after new PC purchase.
    The last line makes me shudder. Try asking customer services via the interactive chat service Dabs offer on the website.

cheers - I decided to go a different route and joined the MS Partner Program (I'm self employed) and ordered all the software. €320 and I get Office, Vista, Server etc and licenses to run them.

Was kinda hoping that Visual Studio 2005 would be included but it doesn't seem to be.

• Advertisement

ethernet wrote:
    Don't know about that linked product. I've seen some MS Office software on Dabs that's intended to run on specific brands, such as HP.

The website says you need an MLK:

The last line makes me shudder. Try asking customer services via the interactive chat service Dabs offer on the website.

My understanding is that when you buy and Office ready PC it has the Master Kit installed (just the media which is about a fiver), then when the builder sells the PC it is up to the end user to buy the MLK (which I linked to).

It looks like this pack being sold by dabs was the MLK end user license, but also included was the MS Office 2007 trial which effectively takes the place of the Masker Kit, so you can install the trial and then register with the license.

I could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

Not exactly, what you linked to is the license for Office SB 2007 OEM. It's basically a DVD case, with no DVD, only the license code.

It gives you details on how to buy the backup media kit from microsoft.

SachaJ wrote:
    Was kinda hoping that Visual Studio 2005 would be included but it doesn't seem to be.
    I think you'll need an MSDN subscription for that...

ob wrote:
    Not exactly, what you linked to is the license for Office SB 2007 OEM. It's basically a DVD case, with no DVD, only the license code.

It gives you details on how to buy the backup media kit from microsoft.

I think you'll need an MSDN subscription for that...

If you have a look down through the specs on that link you see the "Bundled with" section under the "software" heading. It says there "MS Office Professional 2007 (Trial)"

How much is MSDN does anyone know?

cheers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Different levels..
    You would be looking at MSDN Professional for a copy of VS2005

Possibly cheaper to actually buy the product if you already have the ActionPack from MS

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa718656.aspx

From the Micromail site its 1076.90

http://www.micromail.com/MMprodDetail.aspx?productid=7950

http://www.micromail.com/MMprodDetail.aspx?productid=9225

List of resellers in Ireland http://www.microsoft.com/emea/msdn/visualstudio/resellers.aspx#ireland

Advertisement