Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tales from Earthsea out this week...

Options
  • 01-08-2007 6:42pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, it is not meant to be great, but what is likely to be the only animé film to get a cinema release in Ireland is out on Friday. The latest Ghibli, directed by the great Maysaki's son Goro, it is based on some sort of novel, or series of same.

Good to see it getting a cinema release though, even if it is meant to be one of the weakest Ghiblis to date...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Its out in cinema? Damn, I'm going to check this film out on the weekends then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'll probbly go see it if its down in cork :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Damn, doesn't seem to be playing here in Galway. I think Spirited Away was probably the only Anime I've ever seen on the big screen. Guess I'll have to wait for DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

is it going to be shown in the dublin city centre anywhere, if anybody knows,id be grateful if they posted it

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

rejkin wrote:
    is it going to be shown in the dublin city centre anywhere, if anybody knows,id be grateful if they posted it
    http://eirtaku.com/2007/08/05/tales-from-earthsea-gedo-senki-showing-in-cineworld-dublin/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Its based on the book(s) by ursula le guin i take it? I read it as a nipper and loved it. Bought it a while back there and wasnt mad on a lot of it but it should make a good feature.

Actually looking at that description its "based" on the book in the loosest term of the word. meh :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'll probably go to see it in town tomorrow - anyone watched it yet? The UK reviews actually seem to be rather good compared to the Japanese apathy - positive anyway, if not exactly glowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Is this a dubbed version or a subtitled version?

This will affect if I attend or not.

Also I can't see any showings after Sunday night, so if people are planning to go to this, they may want to hurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭skkatter

I saw this a while ago, probably the worst film Studio Ghibli has ever released. Lacklustre animation, a terrible storyline (it's based on the world of the Earthsea books but not a direct film translation of any one of the three stories in the series), none of the magic or charm I'd normally associate with the director's father, I was shocked and appalled. I'm a big Ghibli fan *and* I also liked the Earthsea books, so you can imagine my disappointment!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Poor Goro Miyazaki, big boots to fill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

CuLT wrote:
    Poor Goro Miyazaki, big boots to fill.
    So I take it its not worth venturing into Dublin tomorrow at 10 to watch it in Cineworld? I found out tomorrow is Ireland's last screening of it, and its only on once at 10-something.

Advertisement