Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

college fees

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

franny1 wrote:
    quick question:
    im have a degree under my belt and now im gona start a h dip in actuarial science in ucd, im eligible for a grant, does this mean im eligible for free fees?

Not sure but i doubt it since you already have a qualification. The subsidised fees are usually only offered for a student studying their first qualification, thats what i think anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

themole wrote:
    As far as fees go, there are a lot of people who go to college just becasue it is free and not because they are actually interested in the course. I personally know loads of people who did the same course as me and are now working in completely unrelated jobs. Maybe if there were fees to pay they would appreciate it more.

I imagine they would, but if they go on to earn more and so pay more taxes than those who don't go to a third level institute, what's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

DaveMcG wrote:
    I imagine they would, but if they go on to earn more and so pay more taxes than those who don't go to a third level institute, what's the problem?

There is an important note to be made here, just becasue people who go to college on average earn more than those who do not that does not imply that the reason for the higer earning power is due to their college degree. The reason may be the degree in a fair amount of cases, but its not the sole consideration.

In our current situation of free fees and cao system the best people can go to college if they want to. If these people are the smarter group in the country they would end up with better jobs and earning power regardless.

What i don't like is the lack of accountability. Courses fill up with people who only do them becasue they got the points and not because they are really interested. If they had to pay they would be more inclined to think about it more and not just say well, i got the points, its free why not.

Its in the colleges best interest to have students pass so as to keep up the numbers and hence the amount of money they receive from the government. Standards drop and the whole course for example becomes less valuable. Students would also demand higher standards from a course if they had to pay for it.

College cost money. Someone has to pay.

Is it fair to ask all tax payers to pay for people to go to college?

Even a system where the government looks at how much tax you pay over the say 10 years after you graduate to see if you have paid at least the cost of your degree in tax would be usefull, (i don't mean extra tax, just that you would have paid enough regular tax to equate to the cost of college). Lots of people get their degree and then leave the country, should they not have to pay back the money for not contributing to the economy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

franny1 wrote:
    quick question:
    im have a degree under my belt and now im gona start a h dip in actuarial science in ucd, im eligible for a grant, does this mean im eligible for free fees?

Yep, well that's what I'm counting on. Pretty much the same rules apply as before, you can get free fees on one postgraduate course, up to the tune of 7-8000 euro I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

themole wrote:
    Is it fair to ask all tax payers to pay for people to go to college?
    the problem with that argument is that you open up a can of worms of other arguments with people asking questions such as is it fair for tax payers to fund public transport when they only use their car? is it fair for tax payers with private health care to fund the public health service? you and i know that some things are essential to be provided for our society, is 3rd level fees one of them? i believe an educated society benefits all of us and for our nation's future. re-introducing 3rd level fees IMO would only be a step backwards that would be regretted for decades to come.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

the problem with that argument is that you open up a can of worms of other arguments with people asking questions such as is it fair for tax payers to fund public transport when they only use their car? is it fair for tax payers with private health care to fund the public health service? you and i know that some things are essential to be provided for our society, is 3rd level fees one of them? i believe an educated society benefits all of us and for our nation's future. re-introducing 3rd level fees IMO would only be a step backwards that would be regretted for decades to come.
    I do understand that public services benefit everyone. But in most cases there is still a burden place on the user to pay a significant proportion of the cost. Ie, public transport, a lot of the money to run dublin bus, irish rail etc come from fares.

With college the student still has to pay registration fees. The only issue is how much of the cost should be payed by the student.

At the very least i think that if you don't finish a course you should be made to pay the cost back.

Advertisement