Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about taking up kiteboarding...

Options
  • 01-08-2007 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭

Like the title says, I'm thinking about trying my hand at kiteboarding. What would you recommend in terms of a decently priced ATB for a big boy like me (14 stone and 6'2"). Also, anyone have one laying around and willing to part with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Hows it goin?Try http://www.dublinkiteclub.org It's not really a club but just a bunch of nationwide powerkiters.There is a forum which has a for sale section and an e-bay bargin section.You can allways meet up with them and try out their kit.A few of them are gone to Achill for the weekend but there are bound to be afew around.

Hopethis helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Update: Got a used MBS board - now just need to find time...

Update:dublin kite club is gone now known as http://www.kitingireland.com:D

Make the time there are plenty of people up your way to give you some tips.

Thanks for that - saw the "Gone kiting" and wondered what was going on!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

I dunno, kiteboarding is great but you really need a job where you can work your own hours. It could be blowing a gale 9 to 5 and by the time you get to the beach theres only 5 knots. You really have to watch the wind and be ready to down tools to get a few hours in.

You'd think that in a country that has such a rep for bad weather that you'd get enough wind to at least get a few hours in every week.

• Advertisement

Doesn't it apply to all outdoor leisure activities?

It's either too

cold
    warm
    wet
    dry
    windy
    windless
    bright
    dark
    hazy
    dusty

ermmmm.........:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Don't forget VHI membership!

Nothing quite like the adrenaline of kiteboarding, but you will be tempted to do something stupid, (kitejumping anybody - fly like a bird, land like a fridge) and kite injuries can be bad for the bones and associated stringy bits, this is mostly because kiting is on of the few activities that result in you powering up when things go wrong.

Going into hospital and having to explain that you fell off of a kite - priceless :-)

Apart from the above warning, make sure that you give it a go before you go out and buy loads of gear, get a couple of lessons, see if you really like it, there is lots of good second hand gear going (sometimes courtesy of those who just didn't like it or are on first name terms with radiologists, physios the ocasional orthopod). In the process of finding this gear you will start to make the contacts that will
    a. inform you of the best places and times
    b. be in those places so that you are playing safely (no alone)
    c. let you know when you are about to do something silly
    d. laugh at you while waiting for the ambulance!

Enough to put me off before I got even started (properly).:eek:

Not.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

yeah what a way to put you off eh.................

For insurance try here http://kitesurf.ie/hangtime/

You MUST get a lesson http://www.puremagic.ie/

The ngo buy your own gear [url]www.ebay.com:D:D:D:D[/url]

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Like the title says, I'm thinking about trying my hand at kiteboarding. What would you recommend in terms of a decently priced ATB for a big boy like me (14 stone and 6'2"). Also, anyone have one laying around and willing to part with?

Read the post Tmaxx wants to do kitelandboarding not kitesurfing..well not yet anyway.

• Advertisement

It's difficult.

But when it goes right, sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

T-Maxx wrote: »
    It's difficult.

But when it goes right, sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!:D:D:D

Hey dude

where in dublin are you???if you PM me your email ill send you a quick mail next time we are about.

Sean kitingireland isnt DKC its run by some of the guys that took part in DKC but not all;););)
    David told me you broke your trampa????

Hey dude

Sean kitingireland isnt DKC its run by some of the guys that took part in DKC but not all;););)
    David told me you broke your trampa????
    I know what your saying kitedude,was better before!!
    Trampa broken...do not know where Dave got that idea from:eek:,I just put new grip tape on it today for the windy season!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 markmcie

T-Maxx, get yourself down to Dolly this Saturday if you want to try some good kites out.

http://www.kitingireland.com/Ozone.html

Advertisement