Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring back reputation!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

A compromise. Rep for all except mods. And rep awarded only by mods

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Boston wrote:
    I was a top ten at one stage.

Me too, i was a right little rep pimp or should that be whore??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

nipplenuts wrote:

No that way lies maddness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

psi wrote:
    Yeah merc, amazing really considering I didn't partake in any of the games people were playing. :)

I'd say no one recalls it. Your word is good for me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

+++++++++++++

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

psi wrote:
    Its like the ancient ones in Anne Rice books, we all tend to go underground after a while, usually in sheer disdain at the way boards.ie has changed and we lose touch....
    I don't think you count as a meme, psi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Kenny 5 wrote:
    +++++++++++++

++++

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

CuLT wrote:
    I don't think you count as a meme, psi.
    Probably not, although I've been around longer than you think, in various different guises :)

Ask Amorak :p

psi wrote:
    Probably not, although I've been around longer than you think, in various different guises :)

Ask Amorak :p
    If you didn't start out here with the nick sykeirl then you'd have me baffled :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

CuLT wrote:
    If you didn't start out here with the nick sykeirl then you'd have me baffled :)
    Thats not the username *I* started with :) - it is the first username of this account tho :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

*pretends to know what he's talking about*

ah fúckin' A, the rep system was the shít

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

nipplenuts wrote:
    No.
    Equality for all.
    2 legs good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

<Snip>

Last edited at 8.36 by a number of mods. Reason: for being such a decent chap and all round good egg, he could not possibly have been let to voice an opinion that supported such a system, and took away from his unspoken reputation. Hail Jeremiah 16:1-thou art the fulcrum upon which all boards hinges on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Rep sux donkey balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Thaedydal wrote:
    No that way lies maddness

And I thought that was the point

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There were two main abuses of the system, IIRC:

The first was that the default setup meant that all rep was anonymous, but you could leave a comment. So two jokers decided that it would be funny to start leaving negative rep and signing the comments as DeVore and ecksor. Unsurprisingly, although the user couldn't see who repped them, the admins could see who repped who and could see who made the comments. They got temp sitebanned for that one.

Then Cloud edited it so that it was no longer anonymous, and the phenomenon of mutual repping started. I rep you, so you rep me, so I rep you, ad nauseum. A thread even emerged where if you posted in it, everyone who saw your post gave you positive rep.

In some isolated cases, it was also seen by aggrieved posters as a method by which they could abuse someone or tell them that they disagreed with their post, without posting on-thread.

This all kind of made the system a waste of time.

We can still see people's rep though, the data still exists...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

CuLT wrote:
    Don't we have a gathering card for this?

Yes YOU do:

repwhore2.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

So what if in a thread you had a difference of opinion than someone else. Chances are that person will diss your rep regardless of who's argument is stronger or correct.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

My reputation is bad enough in the real world, the last thing I need is to lose it here as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've no idea if this is feasible in vbulletin, but could rep be enabled as an optional feature? As in, you can disable viewing your own rep and that of other people in the same way as you can turn off viewing signatures?

Overall I kind of liked the heyday of karma/rep, although the karma-whoring threads did get tiresome. With the number of active users as it stands, would it cause a significant increase in traffic/extra load on the servers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I think you're all overthinking this.

simple fact: boards + rep = hilarity

most people + hilarity = happy

thus, boards + rep + people = happy.

Very simple. No one can say that rep wasnt the funniest ****ing thing ever :D

Yes YOU do:

repwhore2.jpg
    I was thinking of the Karma card, but I think all the old ones are gone.

I do lke my little collection though ;) (of nearly entirely other users work)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

CuLT wrote:
    I was thinking of the Karma card, but I think all the old ones are gone.

I do lke my little collection though ;) (of nearly entirely other users work)

Are these what you're looking for.

http://www.boards.ie/gathering/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

seamus wrote:

We can still see people's rep though, the data still exists...

What was mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Bring back REP, also bring back lynching and opel fruits.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I was not here for rep, bring forth rep.
    I await the decline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Giblet wrote:
    What was mine!

3746! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

God, he was such a whore...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dammit Ruu...

Officially, I will not service any "What was my rep?" requests. I couldn't be bothered...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

tba wrote:
    Bring back REP, also bring back lynching and opel fruits.

are they not called starburst now??? showing your age there tba oohh err :o

Advertisement