Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring back reputation!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Ah sure why not? (rhetorical) Whip it out there boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I think I slept through the whole Rep thing. Join date suggests I was here at the time but I really don't remember ever taking part.

It'll probably be the same if it ever returns, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I support this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

yea bring back rep, rep was cool

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

+1 I miss my rep-whoring days :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

As it says.

Neg reps Karl Kungus for starting a rep thread. Oh wait, I can't. Bring rep back! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

miju wrote:
    are they not called starburst now??? showing your age there tba oohh err :o

They'll always be Opal Fruits. Just like Snickers will always be Marathon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

have to agree with ye stark i still call em opel fruits meself though im not old enough to still call snickers a marathon bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Anon rep with comments disabled would surely solve a lot of problems.

Ideally we could have a more detailed MMORPG-like system where users could award/deduct points on a number of different things...
    Like a post that made me lol out loud on the floor laughing, well I could award that poster +1 Humorous
    Other stats: Trolling, Whining, Clarity, Spelling, Grammar, Truth (which could be used instead of "QFT"), Spam, Comebacks, Wit, Helpfulness.

Make it happen tbh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ideally we could have a more detailed MMORPG-like system where users could award/deduct points on a number of different things...
    Like a post that made me lol out loud on the floor laughing, well I could award that poster +1 Humorous
    Other stats: Trolling, Whining, Clarity, Spelling, Grammar, Truth (which could be used instead of "QFT"), Spam, Comebacks, Wit, Helpfulness.

Make it happen tbh.

I think this is a very good idea (whether it can be done in vBulletin is another thing) especially the last one. The helpfulness could come in very handy on somewhere like the tech forums. If somebody relatively new to boards comes along and asks for help with something, the helpfulness rep can influence their decision to take that advice and trust the poster.

• Advertisement

Oh, and these stats would combine somehow to generate a user-title, also including the board where most of these points were awarded/deducted.
    Helpful spammer of Afterhours
    Truthful Troll of Personal Issues
    Witty comeback-master of Feedback

C'mon admins, we know you've nothing better to be doing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

C'mon admins, we know you've nothing better to be doing.
    The admins are actually very busy people. Well if you call sitting on your ass scratching your balls busy that is. :D

Well if you call sitting on your ass scratching your balls busy that is. :D
    Indeed I do :p

Indeed I do :p

Same here. Hopefully my boss doesn't find out my definition of busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Comments: Yes (positive or negative)
    Anonymity: Not bothered personally, but if you intend to allow comments then it's good to know who it is is making them (anonymous negative comments were unhelpful under the old system)
    Score bar/ E-penis : No (at least not publically displayed)

What's that you say? Why bother having a rep system if there's no score system or sets of coloured boxes? Well simply put, because score systems ensure there'll be a % of the members that just use it to score points off each other, a virtual forum minigame that ultimately detracts from the forums over time.
    The rep system was/is fun but it's open to abuse in the guise Boards last had it in...I've seen other forums go the same way Boards did, ultimately just switching off rep or limiting the options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Make it happen tbh.

Good idea tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

tbh smell my finger... tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

*sniff*

WOAH man wtf you been doing with that finger?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

reputation_pos.gifreputation_pos.gifreputation_pos.gifreputation_pos.gifreputation_pos.gifreputation_highpos.gifreputation_highpos.gifreputation_highpos.gifreputation_highpos.gifreputation_highpos.gifreputation_highpos.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Two problems with rep.

1) It leads to terrible bullying. Laugh as you will unless you're new to the internet or online communities, something like a group of people repeatedly and consistently negative repping you will be upsetting. Its a facility for bullying, and that facility would only be removed if you could block people repping you.

2) Beyond the rep threads and the cliques, there where people just posting what they felt other users wanted to hear in order to get positive rep. dissenting voices where more stifled. For instance if it was clear that the popular opinion was one way on a thread, you had a barrage of people coming in to reiterate and support this opinion, seemingly just for the rep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Make it happen tbh.

Spot the gaiaonline user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm dissapointed there isn't more votes for Carl Weathers. :(

I mean, Action Jackson ffs! :D

Thaedydal wrote:
    Spot the gaiaonline user.
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Boston wrote:
    Two problems with rep.

1) It leads to terrible bullying. Laugh as you will unless you're new to the internet or online communities, something like a group of people repeatedly and consistently negative repping you will be upsetting.

Exactly, the last thing we want is for some newbie to become An Hero over rep.*

*See sig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

:confused:

haha burnt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

One big flaw in the rep was that those with high rep could give more rep. There was a lot of brown nosing back then. I hope the rep whores got rep syphillis too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

ahhh rep! I say bring it back, it was fun. its not meant to be taken serious, its all good fun.

and carl weathers man, class in predator.

Advertisement