Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting Started

• 01-08-2007 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I was hoping to get some feedback on perhaps getting started playing some paintball. Ive gone paintballing about a half a dozen times, loved it everytime and its been fatastic to see it and Airsoft explode in this country lately but Im curious as to wether anywhere in Dublin would be a good starting point for a complete n00b as doing a walk-on to act as cannon fodder for a cohesive opposing team doesnt appeal to me.

I also have concerns regarding costs as I have just bought an apartment buying a whack load of gear is outta the question. Any suggestions on how to minimize this cost?

The other major cost Ive seen is the cost of ammo, anytime Ive gone paintballing the cost of ammo has been expensive and I would consider it prohibitively expensive if I were playing regularly. Do arena's allow you to bring your own ammo or allow a team/person to buy ammo in bulk (as in by the crate etc)?

Whats the typical age group for paintball? Also is the fitness level required quite high?

Regards,

PDD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So I take it you're purely interested in paintball?

Right lads, please don't turn this into the usual 'airsoft is better' thread..unless the OP asks about it of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Oisin,

To be honest Im not pushed. From what I know airsoft has a shorter effective range than paintballs thus limiting the size and range of the games (one of the reasons Im looking to start playing paint ball is to get a bit of exercise in) Also I've never been shot with an airsoft gun so Ive no idea if I would feel it and be able to uphold the honor system.

Should I setup a different thread for airsoft?

PDD

Master of the Universe

I tested an airsoft gun out at Barrage paintball. I asked the owner what would be the furthest effective range of a marker in his speedball arena. He pointed out an inflatable at the back.

I took a shot at it and had no point hitting it at all. On full auto. Airsoft guns have a perfectly playable range. Plus they're more accurate and less 'arcing' of shots is needed.

My last post was because paintball threads are usually overrun by people telling the poster how great airsoft is as an alternative. I'm just trying to make sure paintball isn't run out of the forum.

Both have advantages and disadvantages. Airsoft guns have a bit of an issue with rain as they're electric. So you wouldn't want to be playing in any mad downpours. They don't require a license or authorization though, which is a major plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

if i might add one other thing PDD, airsoft is brand new here..we are all noobs give or take a couple of months..

actually i dont see why people dont play both airsoft and paintball...as it happens i will be playing paintball in september down the country with 120 other people from work...i love airsoft, strike that i adore airsoft, but there is no doubt paintball has it advantages

on the fitness thing, it depends how much you play and your style...if you sit on yer arse all day sniping, well you may as well sit in mac donalds to be honest..but by and large you sweat, run and most of all laugh yer arse off...well i do anyways. some people take it serious and i can understand why they do, but the honour system has survived 20 years in airsoft...its like cheating in golf...you are a friggen pariah if you dont own up to a strike...mistakes happen but i have seen that also in paintball also...so a cheater is a cheater...more difficult in paintball but i have seen people do wonderous things to wash paint off with mud etc to avoid a hit...

why not try both...i will warn you tho, airsoft is very very addictive. i am not saying paintball isnt. you tend to find in airsoft people buy more aegs depending on scenarios...again i am not saying paintballers dont but in my small experience with paintball, they tend to buy a small number of very high quality markers and by small number i mean 1 (but that could be a typical airsofter view tbh)...there is a poster here called ditpaintballer (i think) you might want to ping him as he seems to be paintball mad. might give you a paintballers viewpoint and you can make your deciision from there...

good luck..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

o1s1n wrote:
    Airsoft guns have a bit of an issue with rain as they're electric. So you wouldn't want to be playing in any mad downpours.

Gotta disagree with that point, not sure 100% but from my own experience, ive never bothered avoiding playing in the rain, the amount of current running through an airsoft gun is minimal and there's not any complicated circuitry to fry, at worst you might damage the battery or motor (NakedDex: you seem to know your electronics, opinions?)

the worst i've heard of/seen happening to an airsoft gun was one belonging to spitfire which i stripped/rebuilt, after two days back to back of playing in heavy rain, some water had gotten into the gearbox, and when mixed with the grease while the gearbox was in use, the grease/water turned into that horrible mucky type of grease when water mixes with it (that doesnt make a lot of sense, but you know what i mean i hope).

other than that, the gun was still operating fine, he just wanted it cleaned out to keep it in good condition

anyway, all that was slightly off-topic... OP: if your curious about airsoft, read up some of the stickies and have a look around the web/wikipedia.org for info, the range is just as good as paintball tbh, and more accurate in my opinion (although high-end paintball guns are accurate, just crazily expensive)

you will feel your hits, although not as powerful as paintball, you still feel it.
    and in general from what i know, i think paintball is a little more difficult to get into as a regular player with your own gear, i think there is only 1 or 2 sites that will actually let you use your own marker and paint (ditpaintball:apologies if that is wrong)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

kdouglas wrote:
    Gotta disagree with that point, not sure 100% but from my own experience, ive never bothered avoiding playing in the rain, the amount of current running through an airsoft gun is minimal and there's not any complicated circuitry to fry, at worst you might damage the battery or motor (NakedDex: you seem to know your electronics, opinions?)

the worst i've heard of/seen happening to an airsoft gun was one belonging to spitfire which i stripped/rebuilt, after two days back to back of playing in heavy rain, some water had gotten into the gearbox, and when mixed with the grease while the gearbox was in use, the grease/water turned into that horrible mucky type of grease when water mixes with it (that doesnt make a lot of sense, but you know what i mean i hope).

other than that, the gun was still operating fine, he just wanted it cleaned out to keep it in good condition

anyway, all that was slightly off-topic... OP: if your curious about airsoft, read up some of the stickies and have a look around the web/wikipedia.org for info, the range is just as good as paintball tbh, and more accurate in my opinion (although high-end paintball guns are accurate, just crazily expensive)

you will feel your hits, although not as powerful as paintball, you still feel it.
    and in general from what i know, i think paintball is a little more difficult to get into as a regular player with your own gear, i think there is only 1 or 2 sites that will actually let you use your own marker and paint (ditpaintball:apologies if that is wrong)

Really depends what gun you have. The famas has a long opening along the top. rain getting in would gather. would not be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

kdouglas wrote:

Airsoft guns are not inherently waterproof. They can be made so using some silicone sealant (airsofters are mad for silicone aren't they) but this also makes it a pain to reopen the body if you intend to do some modifications to gearbox, barrell etc. Now that isn't a problem if you only intend to do it once in a while, it's easily removed and reapplied. This is only across the seams of the body so it won't totally waterproof it.

The gearbox and motor is not waterproof. Or at least I've never seen one. The gearbox is more resistant to water though as it is just a set of gearcogs, springs and pins. Grease is waterproof to a point too so that helps it. The motor however will fry as soon as it hits water. As long as you can protect it you should be fine. Using the silicone on the seam of the body will help immensely but it all depends on the gun itself and where the seam points are, as well as any other purpose made body holes.

Basically it's possible, but you'd need to take a good look at it to figure it out. I used to do things like that all this all the time on light aircraft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Hi PDD.

If you're worried about costs, then Airsoft is probably the better option for you right now. It' is cheaper to play. Not trying to push Airsoft on you or anything, I just thought I'd mention it.

HRTA currently sells 5000 bb's for €18. And you can pick up and airsoft gun for about €120. All your left with then is site entry which is usually €25 for a full day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Yep it certainly does sound like the better option although I have heard that a few people take it way too seriously and that there are alot of people from the RDF. Are there many folks from the RDF/PDF playing airsoft?

Master of the Universe

There will always be people who take every sport (way too) seriously. From golf to paintball/airsoft to whatever else. I wouldn't let that put you off.

Again, I am sure there are people from the forces who play paintball too. Not something which should put you off either. Just because they march around a bit doesn't mean they'll be any better than you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

o1s1n wrote:
    Just because they march around a bit doesn't mean they'll be any better than you ;)

There's also a case to be made that "real world" strategy and tactics don't always translate well into Airsoft or Paintball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm a complete newbie to PDD I went to HRTA once, turned up in jeans and tshirt, I wasn't the only one either. I got shot allot and while you feel the hits your so pumped full of adrenaline they don't hurt at all. Outside HRTA it was a very wet day and trying to make your though the course takes it out of you I preferred the inside stuff really outside is allot harder to get around.

Advertisement