Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a bike, please

Options
  • 01-08-2007 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm really interested in getting into biking and was looking at getting a bike around the €400 mark. I'm not really into the off-road element so I'll be looking for a road bike. I'm initially hoping to put in about 25 miles a week and gradually improve on this. I'm also not really into a road racer (curved handle bars) but more a cruiser. I had been looking at hybrids but some look rather heavy and if I was to take it really serious, I may regret buying the hybrid in the future.

While looking around on the net, I found this. Is it any good for the price? Would you recommend something else? Where's the best place to purchase a bike, either on the net or in a retailer?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Would those 25 miles a week be to/from work, or just crusing around?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Initially cruising around but am thinking of using it to commute to work which is only 3 miles each way. If you are familiar with Howth head, from my house and around Howth Head, and back to mine again is 10 miles. I thought it would be a good track to start off with about 3 times a week

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

I got that bike about 6 weeks ago - I'm gonna use it for a 10 day tour in spain.
    I'm very pleased with it to date. Its a comfortable ride, quite sleek, and with the 25mm tyres its very nippy for a hybrid. I think its ideal for what I need it for and also for commuting. If I was to get into more serious road distances I'd definitely upgrade to a road bike though.

There's a Giant thats very popular, and not much more expensive:
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=38&idproduct=16575

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I got that bike about 6 weeks ago - I'm gonna use it for a 10 day tour in spain.
    I'm very pleased with it to date. Its a comfortable ride, quite sleek, and with the 25mm tyres its very nippy for a hybrid. I think its ideal for what I need it for and also for commuting. If I was to get into more serious road distances I'd definitely upgrade to a road bike though.

There's a Giant thats very popular, and not much more expensive:
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=38&idproduct=16575

Yeah, I had a look at that one in Sean Duff Cycles, while a gorgeous looking bike, it was slightly outside my price range. Sleepy, I think what your using your Lapierre for is what I'll be using it for!

What about any stores on eBay? Or anywhere on the net....UK or French sites?

Advertisement