Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Door to door painting sales doing my head in

• 01-08-2007 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this is widespread or not, but I am getting sick of people coming around selling paintings door to door. Just had another fella around a few minutes ago. They are pushy b*****ds too. Won't take no for an answer. The first one came around the day we got the keys to the house 2 years ago and there has been a steady stream of them since. I had an argument with one guy a while back who would just not go away no matter how many different ways I told him to f off. Not even sure if the paintings are real or not (ie. prints/reproductions/originals etc.), but at over €150 a go I have better things to spend my money on.

Are they all over the country or just here in Dublin?

Rant over!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Yea we have them here as well, in the Blackrock/DunLaoire area. They always introduce themselves and say they want to "talk" about art and not sell any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pigheads advice: Never ever go to Jamaica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I find the kids who keep knocking wanting to the cut the grass are more anoying.
    Yes I know it looks like it might need a cut but it has been raining and you can't cut wet grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Thaedydal wrote:
    I find the kids who keep knocking wanting to the cut the grass are more anoying.
    Yes I know it looks like it might need a cut but it has been raining and you can't cut wet grass.

They come around here too looking to cut the grass, but when you say no, they leave it at that. Its the painting fellas that just don't give up. They practically insult you if you don't hand over cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Thaedydal wrote:

At least they'e showing a bit of initiative and not out acting the maggot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Collie D wrote:
    At least they'e showing a bit of initiative and not out acting the maggot.
    Indeed.
    The local kids do it here. No trouble from them.

The painting people on the other hand. They can go and **** themselves.

Where I live there are a few housing estates clustered together and today alone I have 5 differnt groups of 'lads' knocking this afternoon.

What I don't like are the door to door sales people who at least sound like travelers who come up to the house and try and have a look in the sitting room and then knock and get pushy trying to sell furniture and
    fireplaces.

and then there is the fun when they ask me " Is your Mammy in love " cos the lady of the house would never open the door wearing a penny arcade Tshirt and her hair in two plaits.

Then you tell them that you are the lady of the house and you don't want thier goods and they are you sure will not check with your husband....y'know da Boss....

Then it is my turn to ask questions,
    will I get a receipt that will have on it thier company name, address, cro and vat number and will there be 1 or 3 year warrenty ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

There are 7 clustered together where I live, but the only ones with any initiative are the kids from across the road. The rest just get drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Fcking junk mail does my head in!!!!

Go away for two days and you can hardly get the front door open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Define "steady stream", once a week?Once a fortnight?More than once a week?
    We've had these call to the door on occasion, usually young studenty types looking to make some cash. Never bought anything from them, but I've found that just being polite has done the job in rejecting the offer.

Not a tenth as persistent as the Roma Gypsies thankfully!

• Advertisement

Recent trip to Jamaica
    Pighead: Ah Miss Piggy, here finally are in that wonderful relaxing laid back island in the Carribbean that goes by the name of Jamaica.

Miss Piggy: Oh yes, my handsome loverman. The scenery is just wonderful.

Local Shyster: Hey mon, welcome to Jamaica mon. Take these beads as a sign of welcome from my country to you.

Pighead: Thanks buddy but we don't have any cash on us.

Local Shyster(With a horrified look on his face): Money? Don't insult me mon, i don't want any money off you. These beads are a gift.

Pighead: Oh, sorry buddy, misunderstood you there. In that case thank you very much. Much appreciated.

At this point we walk away

Local Shyster: Hey mon, what you doing. You not give me anything for the beads?

Pighead: You said they were a gift

Local Shyster: They are a gift mon, but c'mon I have to live. Give me a donation mon. The recommended donation is 10 dollars.

Pighead: Keep you're fcuking beads you local shyster. (turning to Miss Piggy who has a doe eyed look on her face and is stroking the beas) And you can give them back too. The local shysters not getting a penny out of Pighead.

No joking, this happened at least 7 times in about 6 hours on the laid back island in the Carribbean. They'd break your heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Pighead wrote:
    No joking, this happened at least 7 times in about 6 hours on the laid back island in the Carribbean. They'd break your heart.

Surely you had copped on to the scam after the first time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Hehe, don't go to the Canary Islands then. I got my arm nearly ripped off my shoulders. :( I was walking about and one woman came up and grabbed my arm trying to put on these bracelet things so if it was on my arm then I would have to pay her for it.:mad:

Collie D wrote:
    Surely you had copped on to the scam after the first time....
    Of course. The local shysters didn't get a penny out of Pighead. Didn't stop the fcukers trying though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

Pighead wrote:
    Recent trip to Jamaica
    Pighead: Ah Miss Piggy, here finally are in that wonderful relaxing laid back island in the Carribbean that goes by the name of Jamaica.

Miss Piggy: Oh yes, my handsome loverman. The scenery is just wonderful.

Local Shyster: Hey mon, welcome to Jamaica mon. Take these beads as a sign of welcome from my country to you.

Pighead: Thanks buddy but we don't have any cash on us.

Local Shyster(With a horrified look on his face): Money? Don't insult me mon, i don't want any money off you. These beads are a gift.

Pighead: Oh, sorry buddy, misunderstood you there. In that case thank you very much. Much appreciated.

At this point we walk away

Local Shyster: Hey mon, what you doing. You not give me anything for the beads?

Pighead: You said they were a gift

Local Shyster: They are a gift mon, but c'mon I have to live. Give me a donation mon. The recommended donation is 10 dollars.

Pighead: Keep you're fcuking beads you local shyster. (turning to Miss Piggy who has a doe eyed look on her face and is stroking the beas) And you can give them back too. The local shysters not getting a penny out of Pighead.

ROFL:D

I just tell the painting geezers that it's ****e and ain't fit to grace the walls of my place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ruu wrote:
    Hehe, don't go to the Canary Islands then. I got my arm nearly ripped off my shoulders. :( I was walking about and one woman came up and grabbed my arm trying to put on these bracelet things so if it was on my arm then I would have to pay her for it.:mad:
    One of the lads had a 'young lady' come up and grab his crown jewels. Its then he realised it wasn't even a woman, nevermind a lady. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Victor wrote:
    One of the lads had a 'young lady' come up and grab his crown jewels. Its then he realised it wasn't even a woman, nevermind a lady. :eek:

Fine! Take the money! My jewels are worth more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Zebra3 wrote:
    Fcking junk mail does my head in!!!!

Go away for two days and you can hardly get the front door open!

See here on how to put a stop to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I have gotten the painting sellers a few times, you have to be firm with them and tell them that you have no interest in buying, looking at or talking about paintings. Don't let them start talking and gently shut the door in their face :)

Having said that I let myself get persuaded into talking about paintings one day, the fact that it was a gorgeous French girl with them might have had something to do with it. Spent about 10 minutes talking about them all the time I kept stressing that I had no intention of buying one (and didn't) but she still persisted. In the end I got worried that she was checking out the gaff for a burglary or something.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I get them the odd time. I just tell them I'm allergic and start sneezing a lot. Confuses the hell out of them but it still works.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Thaedydal wrote:

and then there is the fun when they ask me " Is your Mammy in love "

TBH, I found this the most shocking. Were they propositioning her with some sort of gypsy charm? What would your father say if he heard this kind of question?

Is this the modern rouse to get your mammy "away with the raggle-taggle gypsy"? :eek:

Ah the thing is Dyflin they assumed I was not old enough to be the lady of the house, hence 'is your Mammy in ?'

/me wanders of singing
    three gyspies stood at the castle gate...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It was just a bit of a joke. :confused:

"Is your mammy in love" means something completely different to "is you mammy in, love"...

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

As soon as I see those large satchels I say "No thanks! We already have art!" and goodbye.

Gravel in the garden, no no grass cutting lads for me. And no chance are those kids washing my car with their dirty spongs and fairy liquid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

J.S. Pill wrote:
    See here on how to put a stop to it

I was referring to stuff just dropped in the door. Not actually addressed to me or anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

A number of these (con) artists were doing the rounds in Mallow a few months back. They probably only move on once they've knocked on all the doors in an area.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

jaysis, where do you guys all live. i live in dublin and only people i had knocking on the door, were guys telling me they would take away rubbish and were cheaper then skip hire (i was getting a lot of building work done), i stuck a note on the front door saying i wasnt interested and that was that.

and pighead, i have been jamacia many, many times, and have never seen any of that behaviour. i must look like someone not to be messed with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Yea we get those pesky "artists" over here in Co.Roscommon as well. I always tell them to fúck off but they're persistant bastards. There was one time when one showed me a picture and I saw it before (guy in 2nd-hand shop down town was selling one, possibly the same picture)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Have heard a story that they get kids in sweat shops in Asia to do these pictures for sweet f a then sell them over here.

The most annoying I find are the crowds who come along asking do you want your gutters cleaned? They come along with a ****ty ladder and a bucket and that's all. Sure I can do that myself!

I find the only way to get rid of people selling crap or services at the door is to say "I'm only renting".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Ruu wrote:
    Should've given her a slap, that'd learn her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

dame wrote:
    Have heard a story that they get kids in sweat shops in Asia to do these pictures for sweet f a then sell them over here.

The most annoying I find are the crowds who come along asking do you want your gutters cleaned? They come along with a ****ty ladder and a bucket and that's all. Sure I can do that myself!

I find the only way to get rid of people selling crap or services at the door is to say "I'm only renting".

What do you expect people to do when they clean the gutters? Spit polish the things?

I mean you can do nearly any odd job yourself it all comes down to motivation really.

"There is a tree growing in the gutter....I'll get it tomorrow."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Zebra3 wrote:
    I was referring to stuff just dropped in the door. Not actually addressed to me or anyone else.

There are 2 further steps you can take - go to your post office and say 'I don't want any junk mail sent to my house please'. You can also stick something beside your letter box saying no junk mail - some local authorities can provide stickers.

Advertisement