Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lighting

Options
  • 01-08-2007 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi All,

I want to wire up 3 CFL bulbs to run off a standard plug. Each cfl fixture has a switch on it.

I only know the basics of electricity but stumped when it comes to the wiring itself. Can anyone help?

What flex should I use?

Is it possible to run 3 bulbs off the plug as I intend?

The bulb fixtures only have two terminals for live and neutral, where do I wire the earth to?

Thanks in advance

Marty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'm scared.
    The usual disclaimers apply in this matter. You would be best off contacting an electrician to perform this, but in the interest of giving assistance where it is requested... here goes.

If the fixtures are plastic and not metal, you don't need an earth (unless specified otherwise).
    Therefore, you just need twin flex rated for 5A. Wire up the plug with the first run as normal, feed the ends into the L & N terminals of the first fixture. Get the second run of wire and place the L & N wires into the first fixture's terminals, matching the colours. Run this wire onto the second fixture and repeat as required.
    Like this image, but the 'steel wool' is your plug-top fuse ON THE LIVE WIRE!
    http://physicsed.buffalostate.edu/SeatExpts/EandM/par_bulb/solution.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ButlinSalesman

Thanks 10-10,

I'll have a sconce at that set up, if you don't hear from me in quite sometime you can assume I've "rid the lightning"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

I only know the basics of electricity but stumped when it comes to the wiring itself. Can anyone help?

Scary to read this....seriously, see if you can get a sparky to do it. You want to put a light switch on each which means a live and switching live, then a N looped to each bulb. Make sure the flex is rating for lighting circuits (2.5 mm2). If you can only find 3.5mm2 thats grand. You could also use twin and earth

If your not comfortable please dont !!.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

More than the electrical issues, I am quite concerned about you having a proper way of supporting the lamps and avoiding creating a fire risk. You don't want them to be just hanging there. They could set something alight if they end up resting against something.

I know these are CFL bulbs, so the temperature is lower than a regular bulb, but it's still a risk. Remember, some genius could decide to replace the CFL's with regular bulbs later on when you aren't there.

A relative's house burned down resulting from a hasty piece of lighting engineering beside a bed.

I am sure you will be careful, but I would try to buy something to do the job rather than trying to improvise. There are loads of cheap (not necessarily high quality, but reasonably safe) lights out there that might do the job for you.

Advertisement