Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What media server / player?

• 01-08-2007 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out which media player hardware to buy. There seems to be an influx of them on the market at the moment.

I have read a lot of reviews and of course they all have their negative points as well as positives. I guess I would like to hear from people who have bought one and their experience?....

Ideally, the solution will need to be HD capable.

There seems to be a good selection of devices available here?...
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/10222/xx/xx/101/9/criteresn.html?itag=9702

thoughts etc?

Thanks,
    Jab

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

By HD I assume you desire 720,1080 output support.

All of those ones you linked to are generic XviD players with the odd one being better spec wise than the other like the TviX 4100 which has HDMI and H.264 support.

Or you could go with the Netgear EVA 8000 which is similar in specs to the TviX.

If your just looking for something that does XviD with HD resolution support something like this would fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

thanks for the suggestion 8T8....do you have any personal opinions or recomendations?....the Netgear seems like the best option (given that it is a known name brand)????..

thanks
    Jab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Depends on what you after the Netgear and TviX and far better specified than the other solutions supporting XviD, WMV, H.264, DVD VOB/ISO's and more.

If you want something that handles most types of videos out there or are planning on sticking all your DVD's on a hard drive then go with one of those (note the Netgear is a network streamer no hard drive) if not and all you want it basic XviD then any of the others will do as it's all the same chipset powering them anyway.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I am using a Tiv 5100 and it is class. Only thing missing in .mkv support

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

TCP/IP wrote:
    I am using a Tiv 5100 and it is class. Only thing missing in .mkv support

Hi,

It certainly looks like an impressive device allright. However, im finding it quite hard to find any detailed information on it. Even the manafacturers site is quite sparse. All of the reviews tend to be just two or three paragraphs, but not real detail etc...

Do you have any links that you used during your research....or better still, a copy of the user manual that you could send to me?

Ta,
    Jab

• Advertisement
Advertisement