Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what film scared the pee outta you as a kid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭gidget

I think the movie was called The Lady in White, saw it when I was about 5, I remember it scared the bjezus outa me then, I haven't seen it since though.....

I was actually terrified after watching the opposite - " The Woman In Black"

Saw it twice on UTV. First time was in the late 80's when i was about 9 and the second time tried to be brave and watch it again in 92 when I was 12. Even today at almost 27 years of age If I was to see that film again I still think I would have to hold on to the cushion to hug. That face is still a vivid picture in my mind!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

My favourite scare the sh1t out of you film was Suspiria

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076786/

Bought the DVD recently and it still does the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Childs Play, without a doubt. Still can't watch it.

I remember sneaking downstairs when my older sisters were watching it with a load of their friends. Scared the absolute crap out of me. At the time I had a doll caled 'Baby Whispers'. When you squeezed her hand she spoke and when you pressed the heart on her chest she whispered things. Suffice to say, after seeing that film, Baby Secrets was unceremoniously shoved in the bottom of the bedroom wardrobe. Unfortunately during the night something obviously shifted in the wardrobe 'cause the bloody doll started talking. I reckon the neighbours heard my screams......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

ferdi wrote:
    Was it David Bowie's bulge?
    There are entire websites devoted to his choice of clothing in that film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Ah christ I knew one of these days I'd confess this, The Wizard of Oz. In my defence I was very young. I'm tough now... *shows tiny muscles*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

That weird Banshee thing from Darby o Gill and the little people.
    Rubbish film when I look at it back now:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Cujo.
    Can't remember how old I was when I saw it, but I've had a fear of Dogs since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I think the movie was called The Lady in White, saw it when I was about 5, I remember it scared the bjezus outa me then, I haven't seen it since though.....

I remember that one too. There was a really freaky part with a sick woman in bed.
    Hellraiser scared me because I was alone in the house and it was dark. my brother was left to babysit me, but he went out to commit to some anti social behaviour instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The fortune telling machine in Big distubed me much. So much, I am still unable to watch to this day (note: may or may not be true).

Also: the pool in Neverending Story 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

The ****in Exorcist when she comes down the stairs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd0hi6zw6to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

These creatures in the auld Beastmaster movie gave me the jeebies.

I also didn't appreciate that villain tossing the child into the fire pit as a sacrifice. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

psicic wrote:
    When I was about four or five I saw Superman III.

For whatever reason, the bit where the computer turns one of the bad guys into a 'robot' freaked me out.

Was just about to post that exact scene....it was pretty lame alright....but i remember hiding behind the sofa the 1st time i saw that on TV!

IT did freak me out....i'm not a big clown fan at all.

Also after seeing Ghoulies (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089200/combined) i was not a fan of taking a dump for quite some time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Ravenous with Guy Pearce, David Arquette and Robert Carlsyle.
    AAHHHHHHhhhh....:eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

films : it and pet cemetary.

tv show : twin peaks. i still get shivers when i think of that bob freak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

The Watcher in The Woods. Think it is a Disney film, but went to see it in the early 80's for a friend's birthday party. Haven't seen it since, but remember being scared by it. Must have a look out for it on DVD...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Shamrok wrote:
    Without a doubt it was Salem's Lot (the original) for me. RTÉ showed it over two nights back in the early 80s. The scene with the boy floating outside his friend's bedroom window got me big time when I was 10 or 11. I found it hard to sleep that night!

Yep myself, sister and brother were all terrified by that film in the 80's. I was pretty small when i saw it, probably around 5 or 6, and i remember after it was over, my gran made me and my sister walk our cousin home...at night, in the DARK! We were ****ting bricks!

Its a ****ing AWESOME film nowadays tho :D

EDIT
    im also surprised at the amount of people scared by IT. I watched it when i was about 12, and just thought it sucked. Also it pisses me off because the film is so damn lame but the book is probably one of the best books ever written.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

The Dark Side of the Moon (not Pink Floyd)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099364/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Candy man scared the **** out of me for ages!

I can't beleieve nobody has mentioned The Fly with Jeff Goldblum. This film still freaks me out.

It's a quality film. Damn, I really want to watch it now.

Same as most of the others, saw IT years ago and scared the bejesus out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Horror at 35,000 feet or something .. scared the crap outta me...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068715/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Oh yeah, the superman 3 electro funk bit scared me too. As well as the wheelies in return to oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

childsplay for me aswell, I was about 8 or 9 and was over in my mates house, His older brothers had it and we wathched the whole thing with them. I remember the warm feeling triclin down my legs as though it was yesterday!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭boardinwork

Those lads on skates in the Wizard of Oz and the Woman that kept heads :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭boardinwork

Oh and The Hand Thats Rocks The Cradle :(:(:(:( Women are scaryer that men :( They always have big hair, light going through it, white faces, and big freaky eyes in horrors :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Arachnophobia. The bit where shes in the bathroom and they all come flying out of every nook and cranny. Gah.

I refused to even look at a spider for ages after that tho i never killed em. Wasn't their fault i had an irrational fear :p

Finally got over it a while ago :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

A lot of people share my hatred of It. I think Sky 1 showed it early (well, earlier than Ibiza Uncovered which I was never up late enough to see) one night. That must have been a bad day for the young people of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

saw a film when i was like 6 called the haunted....its scared me sh1tless..so much so i didn't sleep all night and i was convinced the pile of clothes in my room was a demon :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Saw Child's Play when I was about 8, that scared the ****e out of me. Since then the only film that's had an effect on me was the original Halloween. Saw it when I was about 12 and literally couldn't sleep for 2 or 3 days. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

kinda Co-inky-dink with the lsat Posters name but i used to be scared sh*tless of Gremlins. PAthetic really....and whats more Pathetic is that fear lasted for years....into my Early teens. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

poltergeist was another one, I remember when they found the graveyard under their house, I was afraid to go to a graveyard for years!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Anything with woody allen still scares me. Other than that films that arent scary anymore but used to be . . . the exorcist, the original Alien and carpenters the thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

Event Horizon really got to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

miju wrote:
    Just finished waching Stephen Kings IT for the first time since I was about 9 years old.

While not as scary now I remember Pennywise the clown scared the ever loving crap out of me for weeks on end.

So what film scared you all as a kid?

edit: some clips of Pennywise from IT
    lol same here. Only movie that really scared me. I was about six at the time though and remember almost nothing of the movie apart from two scenes.
    Other than that no film has really scared me. You get the odd jump if a 'cheap shot' is done well but not actually petrified by the movie itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The most horrible bit is when the chick goes back to visit her father, and he becomes like a zombie thing........!!! Disgusting and creepy sh*t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Tazdedub

For me it has to be the exorcist and Salems lot the original. those 2 scared the sh1t outta me. But the scariest thing ever was Pet semmetry the book not the film. Thought the film was lame but the book scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Salems Lot for me too. Scared the **** out of me.

My uncle showed it to me when I was for. What a wanker haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

horgan_p wrote:
    films : it and pet cemetary.

tv show : twin peaks. i still get shivers when i think of that bob freak

I watched Pet cemetary in a neighbours house when I was 11.
    It scared the hell out of me.:eek:
    I have never forgotten it,
    Must re-watch it some time and see what it's like 20 years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

another vote for Salems Lot here- especially the bit with Mrs Glick in the hospital under the sheet.

The Omen - I remember my parents let us watch it on TV when I was about 8. Scarred me for life that did....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Salems Lot scared the fcuk outta me.. That movie is responsible for giving a whole generation of kids sleepless nights. Jesus I was so scared to look at the window at night for months after seeing that movie..

Up to this day I have an irrational fear of clowns and ventriloquist(?) dummys.. Not Orville or anything like that but the ones that look like men and are wooden.. Because of this movies like Poltergeist (the bit with the toy clown), It and a movie called Magic all warped my childhood.

Another movie that absolutely freaked me out was When a Stranger Calls. I got to see that at the age of 10 during our areas Summer Project. Each Thursday for 4 weeks they would show us a movie in the parish centre. They actually showed that movie to a bunch of 8-12 year olds. We were all freaked out. The following week they showed us Jaws. I had to take my brother home from that cos he was screaming crying at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Without a doubt it was Salem's Lot (the original) for me. RTÉ showed it over two nights back in the early 80s. The scene with the boy floating outside his friend's bedroom window got me big time when I was 10 or 11. I found it hard to sleep that night!

Snap! I watched the same 2 nights and that very scene with the smoke appearing outside the kids window had me bricking it for nights. Also in the prison cell when the monster vampire's head suddenly appears. Jeesus!

Poltergeist gave me the creeps. The bit where the kid can't sleep and he keeps checking on his toy clown sitting at the end of his bed! And where he is counting between lightning flashes and thunder.

And I was in shock after seeing what happened to Quint in Jaws when I was 11 or so.

Not a film but Sapphire and Steele was very eerie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I watched the Japanese Ring when I was a teen. Was alone in the house for the weekend so I brought the computer up to my room, turned off every light in the house and stuck on the Dvd around 3am. The movie scared me plenty, but that wasn't what scarred me for the next 2-3 years.

On the dvd extras there was an option to watch Sadakos video. I clicked it and an extra menu screen appeared asking if I was really sure yes/no. I thought about it for a second and didn't want that video to be the last thing I saw before I went to sleep so I selected no and, being pretty tired, I went to bed without turning the computer or dvd off.

The bastards that produced that dvd were bastards. When I said 'No' I did not want to watch sadako's video again.. the screen just went black for a few minutes.. could have been five, could have been ten.. I was just lieing in bed and I heard this strange noise. A soft screeching or scraping sound, not too loud but growing in intensity. I looked up to see the well on my monitor.

I was frozen in absolute terror, have never been so scared since. I lay in the bed panicking, too tired to cop the trick and too scared to move. Eventually the video played out and I figured out what had happened. I turned the light on, unplugged the computer and monitor, turned the monitor so it would be facing the wall and stayed awake reading until dawn.

The next night and the next few nights... and many nights in the following two to three years, if I was in bed and I even thought of ring, or sadako, I would start to feel her presence behind me in the bed.. just waiting for me to turn around and look her in the eyes. I had to get out of bed, turn the light on and have a quick look to make sure she wasn't there.

i seem to be ok now, the last time I thought about her in bed all I had to do was roll around to have a quick peek and reassure myself she wasn't there. Still.. that film ****ed me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

It definitely had to be candyman for me. It freaked my older brother out more so every morning I would keep saying "Candyman, Candyman, Candyman" into the mirror. That and "IT" where the only two films I can remember watching that actually scared me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Come and See (Russian: Idi i smotri) is a 1985 Soviet war movie/psychological horror. The film is set in 1943 in various villages in Belarus during the Nazi occupation.

This horrified me as a teenager. Very disturbing subject matter make this a film never to forget. If you've seen it you will not what I mean. Brillianty made and gripping anti-war film!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_and_See

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Child's Play

It actually ****ed me up for years

think its cos for once the victim was a 9 y/o boy! :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Mordeth that is scarring me thinking bout it now...

can't believe no one else has this one though :(

ET frightens, yes still frightens, the crap out of me. in particular the scene in the truck/van with the guys in white tryingto take him away... getting goosbumps thinking bout it now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Beetlejuice scared me as a young child.

I have grown to be more resilient now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Who Framed Roger Rabbit, odd choice I know. I loved the movie as a kid but the scene near the end where Christopher Lloyd's evil character is slowly crushed by the steamroller absolutely terrified me. Just seeing him flailing around while half his body was under the steamroller's wheel! Sick shít a kid shouldn't see!!

Still, my brother used to hide under the table whenever Bruce Banner turned into the Hulk in the old tv show many years ago. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There's a scene in The Odessa File (which I saw with my folks when I was around 5) where a guy gets tortured with a red hot poker.

Still sends shiver up my spine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

DaveMcG wrote:
    The most horrible bit is when the chick goes back to visit her father, and he becomes like a zombie thing........!!! Disgusting and creepy sh*t

you mean this scene. have to say its a classic horror scene. some mind tricks, plenty of suspense built and a delay in the inevitable bad bit to come up. though the zombie bit is a bit **** looking though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

I got scared the first time I watched annie...the musical *hangs head in shame*.
    It was the bit where the bad man is chasing poor annie up some ladder thing.
    It was all ok in the end though...the sun came out the next day! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement