Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what film scared the pee outta you as a kid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭MrSquishSquash

IT, Chucky and ET!

The last seemed friendly but thats what he wanted you to think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Phantasm, and the BBC series in the 80's - 'The Day of the Trifids'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭b_beep

I have to say, I was scared enough by weird bits in cartoons...!When the bold boys turn in to donkeys in Pinoccio (sp?), terrifying. And all of George Orwells Animal Farm; my Dad let us watch it when I was about 4 though he warned us it wasnt a nice cartoon.....Well f*ckin turn it off then Daddy!!! Omen was definitely the freakiest horror though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Fwaggle

Terminator 2 :o

The scene where T-1000 is chasing the car and they can't seem to get away from him scares the bejesus outta me. I still can't watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

worzel gummidge - just remembered - think I was blocking it out till now.

Everyone in here seems to be scared of kids films ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Everyone in here seems to be scared of kids films ffs.

Well when your a kid watching tv and an adult character twists his head off and puts it under his arm while still talking and chewing grass its a bit scary alright. Also the whole idea that he kept different heads in his haystack for different days - like say an academic head for when he needed to be clever - that he would swap out with his regular head - that sorta stuff can be disturbing when your a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭eggplantman

friday the 13th freaked me out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

Another vote fot IT. Saw it when I was 11 and it terrified me. It seems to hit every psychological trigger for scaring the beejesus out of a youngster. For years after if I started thinking about it lieing in bed at night I would break out in a cold sweat. If you watch it after age 12 though you just think its a rubbish film.

Worst bit: guy getting dragged into pipe by shining white light

Morlar wrote:
    Well when your a kid watching tv and an adult character twists his head off and puts it under his arm while still talking and chewing grass its a bit scary alright. Also the whole idea that he kept different heads in his haystack for different days - like say an academic head for when he needed to be clever - that he would swap out with his regular head - that sorta stuff can be disturbing when your a kid.

I always thought wurzel gummage was funny when I was small not scary. Its all the cousins fault, I was always at their place and they always put on aliens and stuff that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Bride of Frankenstein. The head on Elsa Lancaster just freaked me out completely. I thought she was looking at me. And Bill Sikes (Oliver Reed) in Oliver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

Poltergeist, someone was babysitting me and the older kids had it on and I just saw the bit where a guy peels the skin off his face - I haven't seen it since.

And when we got Sky at home first, the movie channel or whatever sky movies was called showed one of the Nightmare on Elm St's like a zillion times and I was always watching it even though I was sure Freddie Kreuger was going to get me in bad.

edit
    I see someone mentioned Triffids - they were terrifying!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Rhyme wrote:
    Event Horizon.

*Shudder*

i work in a massive pharmacutical company and there is about 4 plant rooms that are a few thousand sq feet big. massive machines and i work 12 hour security there. night time patrols are the worst going into these rooms and i always get the feeling im in that movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

Watership Down...
    Had me depressed for years. I swear that certain cartoons cause a lot more damage than blood or violence when you're a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

Watership Down...

I wasn't allowed watch that as a child, only saw it for the first time a few years ago. But I was allowed watch Animal Farm!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

Nothing has ever scared the pee out of me.

However there were episodes of the Twilight Zone TOS and Night Gallery that made me peer through my fingers...and wish I hadn't eaten so much for tea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Aliens. My dad let me watch it when i was about 9 or so, but when it got as far as ripleys dream about the chestburster clawing it's way out of her my dad reckoned it was too scary for me and sent me to bed without letting me see how it all ended.

I had no idea the planet was nuked from orbit, and that it all worked out, i was terrified for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

The Exorcist, scary ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

A Company of Wolves scared the bejebus out of me when I was 10 or 11.

...and this might seem a bit strange but Watership Down traumatised me when I was pretty young. Mainly the bits about rabbits dying, but the movie in general just spooked my young mind. Even hearing the theme tune nowadays sends a chill up my spine...
    Alien is memorable, the bit with the face-hugger and obviously the chest burst scene made me jump behind soft furnishings.
    Last one that scared me in my teens was Jacob's Ladder. Great show.

[edit] On subject of the Excorsist I recall seeing that fairly young and never got the scare out of it that we were expecting (me and my mates got it on rental from some dodgy place lol) I laughed at certain bits of that show.
    [edit2] lol didn't see the other post about watership down....thought that was just me. There must be a load of thirtysomethings out there with PTSD from that movie...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

miju wrote:
    I think I remember that film. Does this have something do with a school, a young kid and some abonded looking house on the top of a cliff?

didn't scare me but a bloody good film

I saw that, thought it was Lady in Red though. Scared me witless, I was about 10. Saw IT when I was 7. The 2 parter on Sky. Never saw the end where he dies so he lived on eternal. Still out there. I was scared of showers, drains for years after.

Used to stay up to watch the Freddie Kreuger show with my brothers when my mam was in bed. Remember being too scared to go upstairs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Lil Kitten wrote:
    I saw that, thought it was Lady in Red though. Scared me witless, I was about 10. Saw IT when I was 7. The 2 parter on Sky. Never saw the end where he dies so he lived on eternal. Still out there. I was scared of showers, drains for years after.

Used to stay up to watch the Freddie Kreuger show with my brothers when my mam was in bed. Remember being too scared to go upstairs!

dunno tbh it was the lady in some colour anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stratospheres

Nightmare On Elm Street
    The Omen
    The Fly
    Hellraiser
    Candyman
    The Exorcist
    The Hand That Rocked The Cradle
    Rosemary's Baby
    The Birds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Shamrok wrote:
    Without a doubt it was Salem's Lot (the original) for me. RTÉ showed it over two nights back in the early 80s. The scene with the boy floating outside his friend's bedroom window got me big time when I was 10 or 11. I found it hard to sleep that night!

That was the scene and movie I first thought of when I saw this thread and I sure as **** aint clicked on that link :) To this day its the most frighting thing Iv ever seen on TV or in a movie. Since then movies have made me jump but never scared me.

A Hammer Horror film I saw around the same time about giant man eating rabbits ( Seriously) freaked me out as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

Did anyone see that BBC 1 documentary one Halloween night?

It was about a girl who was supposed to be possessed or something. That freaked the S H I T out of me so bad I couldnt sleep for ages.

As far as I can remember it was the early 90's... Bad sh*t man...

When I think back now my parents were punishing me for something cos they let me watch

It
    Pet Semetry
    Salam's Lot
    Poltergeist
    Exorcist
    Hellraiser
    All the nightmare's on Elm Street

All those films except for Freddie really had an impact on me. I am still having nightmares to this day.. I can't even watch War of the Worlds or 28 days later without having REALLY bad nightmares...:(

d-redser wrote:
    Did anyone see that BBC 1 documentary one Halloween night?

It was about a girl who was supposed to be possessed or something. That freaked the S H I T out of me so bad I couldnt sleep for ages.

it was fake but at the time alot of people believed it. was funny at the end when some famous news guy pretended to be possesed as well as started walking around incoherently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Duckjob wrote:
    another vote for Salems Lot here- especially the bit with Mrs Glick in the hospital under the sheet.
    Would this be the striking lady you describe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

miju wrote:
    Just finished waching Stephen Kings IT for the first time since I was about 9 years old.

While not as scary now I remember Pennywise the clown scared the ever loving crap out of me for weeks on end.

So what film scared you all as a kid?

edit: some clips of Pennywise from IT

Haha, IT was definitely going to be my reply when I read the thread title. There was a thread a while back about fear of clowns, & youd be shocked by the amount of people that put it down to Tim Curry in that film. Evil evil man that he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

miju wrote:
    it was fake but at the time alot of people believed it. was funny at the end when some famous news guy pretended to be possesed as well as started walking around incoherently
    You think that's bad?
    You should have been around when Orson Wells staged War of the worlds on the radio. We all crapped ourselves that night.
    The Birds
    As far as I can remember, that is the only film that ever scared me.
    The phone box scene sticks out as a memorable one.

lollers that was 1938 so that makes Terry a silver surfer :):)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Aliens used to scare the living crap out of me as a kid, now its one of my fav films of all times

Youtube clip

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

Frankenstein. I remember hiding behind the couch at home. It's funny what you remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Total Recall. Must of walked into the room when my dad was watching it when I was around 6, right at the bit where the guy falls down, smashes his helmet in and his face implodes. Scared the bejazus out of me, also the TV series V, the episode where the alien tears its way out of the womans stomach was horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

it and total recall, saw both when i was bout 8 or something, really like both now though......still don't ilke clowns mind ya....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Cabaal wrote:
    Aliens used to scare the living crap out of me as a kid, now its one of my fav films of all times

Youtube clip

Aliens is the most off the hook mother****ing amazing film ever made in the history of movies

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

0ubliette wrote:
    Aliens is the most off the hook mother****ing amazing film ever made in the history of movies

indeed it is, although your at nothing unless its the directors cut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭zoos

defo IT as has been said....Actually cant walk by drains on the streets.

But also Silence of the lambs. I remember my bro was meant to be babysitting me while my parents were out and he didnt notice I put on Silence of the lambs. SCARY STUFF

Regarding "It", the book is so much better and freakier than the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Pabu

I know its not a film but the incredible hulk scared the bejaysus out of me as a kid when he got angry and transformed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Pabu wrote:
    I know its not a film but the incredible hulk scared the bejaysus out of me as a kid when he got angry and transformed :(
    So, you didn't like him then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Like most people, Salem's Lott scared 3 colours of sh1t outta me ... especially the scene where the janitor is upstairs in the rocking chair.

Didn't think the Exorcist was all that scary ... now the documentary on it "The Fear of God", is without doubt the scariest thing I've ever seen ... I thought the spider walk wasn't in the movie, but was in the documentary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭smallpaws

The Legend of Hell House. And that freaky kid floating in the window from Salem's Lot still freaks me out, and I'm middle aged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Edward Scissor Hands scared the crap out of me when I was about 6 or 7...haven't seen it since!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 DDaccidental

Most definately has to be 'IT'-scared the absolute bejaysus out me. That and watching Jaws when I was six. Haven't been able to swim in the sea since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Lassie Come Home

What sick twisted psychotic bastard came up with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

the torture scene in The Princess Bride - wtf is that doing in a kids' film???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 roadrunner41

I dont knwo what scares me more about this film, David Bowies hair or the fact that he can run upside down on stairs. Scared(s) the bejeesus outta me until this very day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT_xpFZe20A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DaveyGem

Naturally, the Exorcist when i was about nine,

Also, i have blurry memories of a disney cartoon adaption of a Sherlock Holmes style character, except he was a mouse. There was a few scenes in that film which scared the she-ite out of me...incidently if anyone knows the name of that film?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭walt0r

candyman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭walt0r

oh yeah, just read through the rest of thread and that scene from salem's lot with the kid at the window scared the **** outta me and the scene in Pet Semetary where she goes to feed her sister...oh my god. But Candyman destroyed my inner being. I couldn't look at a mirror for weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Beetlejuice

Specifically that bit where the bride and groom visibly age through a lifetime in about ten seconds and the man becomes like 200 years old and his jawbone drops off. That f**ked me up.

Advertisement