Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funcking issue with Firefox

Options
  • 01-08-2007 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am working on my company's website and I have the following issue:
    In IE (6/7), the top gray menu is centered, that's cool
    With Firefox 2.x the top menu is on the left.

Please see below

http://www.fooljam.com/pictures/fckedone.png

Working fine with IE:

http://www.fooljam.com/pictures/nonfcked.png
    [IMG]function is funcked, don't know why...:-( Here is the piece of code that seems to be posing problem.[/img]
    <table width="778" align="center" cellspacing="0">

When I change anything to this this affects the position of the bar in IE and Firefox. I tried all the other code, found nothing.
    I also ran Browser error checker with CS3, it found nothing.

Any help more than welcome

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

hum image not working ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Ok got it, was using a bad word..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

I have to raise my hand and say I used to use tables for exactly what you are doing but as with you I ran into cross browser difficulties with regards positioning and how firefox/netscape and IE treat tables. Have you looked at div tags and css? It looks daunting to begin with but it really is a much easier and standards compliant way of doing things. If you post the HTML code for the page I can try and see if anything can be changed to get the effect you are looking for. Sorry I can't be more help.

-RD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭remoteboy

difficult to say without seeing all the code but try using align="center" in your <td> tag also.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

This is something that should be done in css.
    Give the table an id, id="table1" for example, then in css:-

body
    {
    text-align:center;
    }
    #table1
    {
    margin: 0 auto;
    width: 778px;
    }

This assume that the body of the page is the containing element for your table. If it's not then change BODY to the element that contains the table.
    I don't use tables for layout anymore but the above works when you want to center your main containing div in a page so it might work for the table too. Fixed width tables. Please say it 'aint so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

IE 'fixes' errors in code so they display how you probably intended them to. Firefox display them exactly as it sees them, as does other Mozilla browsers.

It's definitely a table and spacing issue. I have found sometimes its not because a table or cell is too big, sometimes if you make something too small it will actually make the cell bigger, compensating for the wrap around.

If you already have all the code in place I would suggest the old guess-n-test method. Remove a few lines of code at a time in the effected area until it displays as you want. Then correct the offending code.

There is no easy way to fix spacing issues, especially if your dealing with CSS and nested tables.

Advertisement