Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First year University student holiday next Easter

• 01-08-2007 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if it would be advisable for a first year Arts student to take a holiday for two weeks next Easter or would significant study for exams be required at that time?

Also, how long are the University Easter holidays for approximately?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

Easter Holidays? Em, from Good Friday to Easter Monday! That's Trinity anyway. The holiday break there is from around the start of march to the end, so perhaps it'd fit in with it next year since Easter is so early but it'll depend on your academic year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

In essence then as Easter is so early next year, I take it it would be alright with Trinity? What about UCD?

No, I didn't say it'd be ok - check with the colleges! The academic year is very different in the different colleges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You will get an academic year calendar in September, showing holidays and time off.

Just bare in mind that the Easter break is a good time to finish off assignments and other items that need to be handed in. A lot of lecturers give assignments that are due after the Easter break.

So I wouldn't advise it. Sure don't you have the whole friggin' Summer off? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Thanks for the replies- I think the holiday will now be booked for the summer. Rang TCD (no reply at UCD) and they said that the exam dates for the summer are only set in April but the holiday needs to be booked now - can anyone suggest a 'safe' dates in the summer to book between? Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

TCD's exams ran this year from 21st of May to June 15th. If you're going to Trinity it's safe to assume that they will lie in that period again and that if you are doing a course there that your exams will lie somewhere in this 4 week gap.

The downside is that they might be over by the 27th of May, so you'd have two weeks 'til your holiday. It looks like the latest the exams will be held in 2008 will be the 13th of June, although it might be the week later depending on how it's structured.

If you want to be safe, there's always July - but in all seriousness, the middle of June you should be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yorky wrote:
    Rang TCD (no reply at UCD) and they said that the exam dates for the summer are only set in April

Now that's just rubbish. While they might not have subject X is on date Y, they will know long before then what weeks the exams are on. Any third level institution I have worked in provided the dates of the Summer exams at the beginning of the academic year.

July is the safest option, but the last two weeks in June could be good too.

Advertisement