Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation 2007

Options
  • 01-08-2007 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hey all

I received an offer of a post grad course the week before last and applied for accom immediately. Just wondering if anyone know when i shud hear back from them? What you reckon my chances are if i have my address in Meath?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭lestats_bride

Slim. Although the closing date for applications was July 31st and considering their policy is subject to distance from the college it seems that they began allocating rooms mid June. How they can get away with this I have no idea. I didnt apply until the first week of July and I was told all the rooms were allocated and later sent a rejection letter. I live on the complete opposite side of the country and am really struggling to find a place to stay.

Maybe you'll get lucky and someone will have cancelled. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Slim. Although the closing date for applications was July 31st and considering their policy is subject to distance from the college it seems that they began allocating rooms mid June. How they can get away with this I have no idea. I didnt apply until the first week of July and I was told all the rooms were allocated and later sent a rejection letter. I live on the complete opposite side of the country and am really struggling to find a place to stay.

Maybe you'll get lucky and someone will have cancelled. Good luck!
    There's only 2 places further away then from where I live and thats Kerry and Donegal and yet I haven't got a place either. If I hear of one person, in my year who got campus who lives anywhere but Kerry or Donegal I swear I'll throw a hissy fit

That cancellation list apparently doesn't open up until the start of term (ie the 10th)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

gubbie wrote:
    There's only 2 places further away then from where I live and thats Kerry and Donegal and yet I haven't got a place either. If I hear of one person, in my year who got campus who lives anywhere but Kerry or Donegal I swear I'll throw a hissy fit

That cancellation list apparently doesn't open up until the start of term (ie the 10th)

Yeah but technically as you're in 3rd year of a final year course gubs you don't get preference. Unless you qulaify under special critetia the only 3rd years who should get campus are people in 3 year courses

gubbie wrote:

Haha i already had words with them and they dont really want to know. One person in the accomodation office did admit that they had gone about it the wrong way and I should take it further...I think he was after someones job!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I also know a forth year who's getting campus and he lives in Dublin so I think the OP should be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

gubbie wrote:

I'm a final year international student and applied mid-late june and was also rejected

i was not aware of this first come first served shít and so thought if i applied mid june id be fine, as the vital criteria was distance from college

anyone think i could apply on the same date as the first years as a continuing international student?

I'm a final year international student and applied mid-late june and was also rejected

i was not aware of this first come first served shít and so thought if i applied mid june id be fine, as the vital criteria was distance from college

anyone think i could apply on the same date as the first years as a continuing international student?

Yeah they are horrible for doing the first come first served. It wasnt right. I'm from a single parent family so i waited to apply until i'd received my deposit from the year before.

My best mate is a continuing international student and she was told she could only apply as a continuing student rather than an international but have a try for sure.

My best mate is a continuing international student and she was told she could only apply as a continuing student rather than an international.

but what doesnt make sense is that theye have a category set out for continuing international students - if im not one then who qualifies as one?

http://www.ucd.ie/residences/accomodationfinder.html

Ach its so messed up. I just dont know. I mean you're an international student...you're continuing....:confused:

Basically, they've just done whatever was easiest for them with no thought for the students. Again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Phosphorus

p_larkin99 wrote:
    but what doesnt make sense is that theye have a category set out for continuing international students - if im not one then who qualifies as one?

http://www.ucd.ie/residences/accomodationfinder.html

I'm an international student going to the third year of a four year course (and therefore I am a continuing international student by all accounts) and I was told yesterday (by both people from the accomodation office AND also from the international office) that there was no chance of me getting on-campus accomodation at this stage (and definitely not with the first years)... continuing international student or not...

So daft.ie here I come again...

• Advertisement

Yeah they told me that too

so...what the hell is a continuing international student according to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

How do you apply? I thought you only applied when you were offered a place...
    Students are welcome to apply from 20th August to the 27th of August 2007

well yeah thats for first years

and application is done online, theres an accommodation section on the ucd site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Woo hoo still in with a chance.

Sucks to be foreign I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

Got my letter of rejection from campus accom this evening!! Although it wasn't so much as an e-mail but an anonymous attachment to the e-mail that had been sent to about a dozen people. And they say UCD has lost it's soul...

Do students need any more reason to be apathetic when they're treated only as numbers and figures, and for good measure pay for the 'pleasure'.

Now, back to daft, and see where else final year undergrads aren't welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TellingTim

Hello all,

I'm an erasmus-student from Belgium who is coming to ucd the first of september, and I'm going to my 3th year in Sociology there
    but I still have got no room.

Me and my friend laurence are still chearching students to do a house-share with in a house near the university.

If anyone is interested, or could offer us some help, we would appreciate that a lot !

thanks in advance
    prodyskunk@hotmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TellingTim

Hello all,

I'm an erasmus-student from Belgium who is coming to ucd the first of september, and I'm going to my 3th year in Sociology there
    but I still have got no room.

Me and my friend laurence are still chearching students to do a house-share with in a house near the university.

If anyone is interested, or could offer us some help, we would appreciate that a lot !

thanks in advance
    prodyskunk@hotmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

As a matter of Interest. I have got a Consultant Surgeons letter saying that it would be extremely unfavorable for me to go on long distance commute twice daily ( Around 3 hours Max total ), so I would require some form of accommodation. This is true though, but will UCD take much notice of this and give me a rightful place??

Lucas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Gumble

I got a credit card receipt of around 400 euro in the post last week from UCD ACCOM. Does this mean i got accomodation? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

Lucas10101 wrote:
    As a matter of Interest. I have got a Consultant Surgeons letter saying that it would be extremely unfavorable for me to go on long distance commute twice daily ( Around 3 hours Max total ), so I would require some form of accommodation. This is true though, but will UCD take much notice of this and give me a rightful place??

Lucas.

as far as i know they do take medical things into consideration, but not at this stage - all the places are already assigned. there was a thing on the application in june asking about medical conditions etc as far as i remember.

perhaps give the accomodation office a ring?
    www.ucd.ie/accomodation - the number is on there!!

• Advertisement

what do you mean the places are assigned.....they only allocate them for 1st years after results next week....what application in June ( are you referring to Postgrads or 4th years or sumtin)

You've confused me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

ah i didn't realise you were a first year!

So what do you think my chances are now??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

100%?

Really.....it's not a major physical disability.....you sure that it's pretty much certain Valor.....would be delighted if it was...

Lucas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Where are you from Lucas?

It's Ok now. I didn't get offered Pharmacology in UCD. I got offered Pharmacy in Cork. I have a place down there anyway.

Advertisement