Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Csons Guide To The Leaving Cert

Options
  • 01-08-2007 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭

As I approach the milestone of 1000 posts I want to give something back to the place that has given so much to me *dabs tears from eyes*. So for my thousandth post I’m gonna try help all you 2007/2008 LC’ers with some sorta guide to the big LC.

Intro: So this is the point where the panic sets in. Its your last year at school (Or your going for an encore by repeating) and everyone expects so much and so on so forth. It’d all make you want to pack up all your **** and retreat to the wild hills of Connemara to hide in a cave until the Leaving is over.

“So we can do that?” I hear you say. Well not exactly, see theres the small matter of getting points, college and whole lot of other minor things that hiding in a cave in Connemara just doesn’t do for you. Besides, theres no broadband out there. Or electricity now I come to think of it.

Time for another revelation, one that may shock and disturb you, the leaving cert is not the end of the world. Now read that carefully again. Yes, that’s right the bible doesn’t say that on the 8th day God came down from heaven and decreed that all human existence shall cease due to the leaving cert. Believe it or believe it not, life may actually continue as it had before.

I’ve divided this guide into little segments on everything and anything. If by some miracle I’ve left something out PM me and in it will go! Now, the time has come for us to continue on our quest for information on how to survive the monstrous leaving cert…..

1: Boards.ie: You simply positively absolutely have to join boards. Now the good thing is you’ve seen the light if you’re reading this and if you haven’t already joined, join now for gods sake! Before its too late! When you join, read the charter and don’t do any crazy wacko jacko stuff and you’ll become a valued member of the LC board in no time at all.

Anything you want to ask about any subject, post a thread about it. The boardsies who frequent the LC board are friendly helpful creatures and will do their best for you. Anything you want to know, post it up and you more than likely will find your answer. And more than that, chat on the board, have a bit of craic, have some debates – they are arguably the best thing about the board.

Use the internet to your advantage too. Wikipedia and skoool.ie are excellent sites for finding out stuff, or helping you understand stuff. Use the sticky for links that’s on the forum too.

>Boards Lexicon
    • Afaik: As far as I know
    • Ftw: For the win
    • Qft: Quoted for truth
    • Iirc: If I remember correctly
    • Imo: In my opinion

2: Study: A rather contentious issue. Many many threads start on the basis of study. Now the question that is asked is usually how many hours study should you be doing. It seems like the macho thing to do is lock yourself away in your study for a whole 9 months reading and writing until your hand is raw and bloody!
    Not quite. The real thing about studying is not the quantity you do but the quality. What does quality mean? Well I think it means understanding what you need to know from a topic, being able to answer exam questions on it without any doubts.

How do you do this? Well I find jobs are that much easier if broken up into little bits. So lets say you divide your study timetable of 3 hours into 4 segments of 45 minutes each. Now subdivide the 45 minute segments e.g. For English spend 15 minutes learning Shakespeare quotes (write them out), spend 15 minutes doing a comprehension question and spend 15 minutes reading a novel or newspaper (I know this seems mad, but I’ll show you my reasoning behind it later)

I would also say that you shouldn’t just take off into 5 hours study after school as soon as the 1st September comes. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. You’ll only wear yourself out that way. Start off gradually so that you’ll be hitting your peak around May sometime. That might be doing say 1 hour study per day at the start and building it up as time goes on.

Practicality is huge too. Reading reams of note and books is a very blunt study method. Try and test yourself at all times and get into the mentality of an exam. Take the list of Irish phrases on the sticky on the board for example. What I did was print out a copy, then print out a copy with only the English meanings on it and see if I could fill it up with the Irish translation. You’ll be amazed how quickly you learn stuff off this way.

As well, try and do after school study if your school does it. The lack of distractions there will make you study.

3: Going Out: My leaving cert year was actually the best year I ever had in school. Why? Because I went to all my friends 18th’s and went out almost every weekend. Now I’m not saying that you go out Friday, Saturday and Sunday and get twisted every time. There is a middle ground. Go out and enjoy yourself, be amongst your friends. The worst thing you could possibly do in your toughest school year is cut yourself off from your friends. If you go out, enjoy yourself with your friends you never know, it might just be the best year of school ever.

4: School: Probably best that you go in most days. I know the lure of mitching is hard to resist but that’s what TY was for. On a serious note, one of the best things you can do this year is question your teachers. Go up at the end of class if it bothers you asking questions in class. But ask, make sure you understand the stuff they’re trying to teach.

Another thing, if you have a mate who say is great at maths and you happen to be above average in say Irish, why not help each other? I helped a mate of mine for his Irish oral and he helped me in maths. And if you’re excellent at everything? Share the love.

Lastly, this is probably the last time you’re ever gonna see most of the people in your year. So if there are hatchets to be buried, bury them. (Not in someones back either!). Get on with everyone in your year and this year will be a lot easier for you. Not to mention how quick it goes. Don’t be surprised to find yourself facing into the xmas exams thinking where did the time go. It flies.

5: The Mockery Examinations: The time of the year when the panic button is most likely to be pressed. These are way more tiring than your actual leaving cert. You’ve got 2 weeks worth of exams crammed into 1 week. Now I would advise against what I did, going out in Galway the Saturday before. You do not want to be facing into English with a bitch of a hangover. So it’s probably best taking the week/weekend off beforehand.

Secondly; resist the urge to come on here and spread the good word. It is of no benefit to you to know whats coming up. I did it myself last year and it certainly does you no good. Your better off making your best attempt at it and seeing where exactly you are. Anyway, after reading this guide you should have nothing to worry about in any case!

And thirdly, don’t set too much store by the mocks. They give a rough indication of how you’re doing. They’re a lot tougher than the actual leaving cert imo because you haven’t got the courses finished, they’re compressed into a week and some of the questions are notoriously hard and unfair.

Also, get those rubber grips for your pens cos after English on day one your hand will want to die. The grips lessen the dying effect. Take a few walks after each exam too, you’ll be surprised how clouded your mind gets after each exam. And try not to study too late, theres nothing worse than going into a maths-irish day with only 3 hours sleep on ya.

6: Exercise: Almost as important as study I believe. If you want to do well in the leaving you have to have distractions from it as well. Somewhere you can just chill out and forget about it all, if only for an hour. At the very least take a few walks in the evening, especially if you have a forest near you. Join a leisure centre and use it after studying. Keep up your other sports hurling, football, rugby, whatever they are. Besides you want to keep fit for college, how dya expect to score otherwise?

7: The Orals: Not as enticing as they sound ;) Well the best advice I can give you is to get into a group of say 4/5 and meet once a week from Sept onwards where you solely speak French/irish/whatever to each other. Now I know its tempting to turn it into a session and many’s the time I did myself but it’s actually best if you try and do a bit of work. Secondly, learn one phrase a week in each language and you should be nicely poised to stun the examiner into silence with your breathtaking seanfhocails. The worst bit about the orals is the actual wait before you go in. Surround yourself in your friends and speak the language to each other beforehand. Once you’re in there, take a deep breath, start off with your family etc, make sure you understand the questions too before answering. Once you actually start the time flies and you’ll wonder what all the fuss was about beforehand.

8: The Actual Leaving Cert Itself: The first 3 days are the most exhausting days of the whole thing. You’ll have had a week off beforehand to prepare and the tension/pressure sorta builds up in between. Try and stick around with your friends for that week if you can in between study.

The best thing I ever did was go out for a pint the night before English. Not a session. 2 pints. I slept that night and was fairly relaxed in the morning, eat as much breakfast as you can too, bad thing having your stomach rumbling an hour into paper one . The main thing with English is not to rush into it, take a few mins to think of your answer before you start writing. Once you get going, get the finger out and give it welly cos you really get pushed for time in that exam.

Take a walk in between exams, it kinda refreshes your mind and puts you in a good mood for the afternoon. As well, when you come home, take an hour or two off before you start lashing into the cramming again. Swim, walk, ****, whatever it is that relaxes you.

And lastly, unless you intend going for the coroners office, stay away from the post mortems if you think you did bad. If you think you did good, come onto boards and boast your way to the high hills about it among like minded people.

9: The Debs: A major drama amongst the women-folk. Now if your going out with someone at the time your away with it, if your not maybe agree with a mate (preferably female) to go together early on in the year. If you want to go drink the hoop of it, don’t saddle yourself with a date but bring a like minded mate and drink yourselves into a coma.

Its important to note that you won’t actually remember most of what happens. Which can be a good and bad thing but its best cross that bridge when you come it.

10: CAO: Be smart (unlike me) and get this **** outta the way in November. There is nothing worse than having to sit through the agony of trying for hours to get into the site along with all the other unfortunate bastards that thought the day before it closes was a good day to apply.

Do it online so that it doesn’t actually matter what you put down cos you can change it right up to 1st of July and I’d recommend that you apply and leave it till after your last LC exam to fiddle with it.

So that’s the guts of my guide, there’ll be bits I’ve to add to it (results day etc) but that’s the bones of it and hopefully it should leave you well equipped to tackle the leaving cert.

If any of you want to add anything, post it below or if you have any questions post them below. So that was a 1000th post brought to you by Cson & Company productions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

My god how **** would it have been if this post got chewed up:eek: :D

Anyroad, great post. Not sure if there's anything really i can add in particular.
    The oul LC isn't so bad in the end, except of course for that first week, but when you look at it, there really isn't that much to it. Sure you only need to do well in 6 subjects;) Just keep up with your homework throughout the year and don't kill yourself studying 6 hours a day from September, you'll just end up forgetting it all and having to learn it again anyway, basically-what cson said.

Its not necessary to do the CAO quite as early as suggested, i did mine about 3 days before the deadline and it was grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

This needs to be stickied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

tl;dr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

The most important advice I can give is:

LEARN GOOD CRAMMING TECHNIQUE
    Absolutely essential. The work you do in the last month is 50% of 2 years work.

Learn to learn from a book without a teacher
    "OMG, it's so unfair, I have a crap teacher and we never even covered X topic in class." is not an excuse.

Be an arrogant cúnt on Boards
    It's funny how worked up people get if you assert the fact you're good at something, and even funnier if you boast about it. This not only gives you the satisfaction of being an elitist wánker, but it puts pressure on you to actually live up to your bragging.

Ok, you can ignore the above if you like, just believe in yourself
    Even if you don't go so far as to boast about your greatness, don't post any of this, "OMG maths(or whatever) is soooo hard and I'm so gonna fail it and have to repeat!!11" crap. Firstly, it's really annoying and secondly, don't sell yourself out like that and have such low expecations of yourself. In short, get out of the mentality that certain subjects are hard and certain grades unattainable. Confidence is a massive factor in how well a student does.

I might add more words of wisdom later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

My contribution to this thread isn't from my own experience of what to do, instead it's what I learned what not to do throughout the year. Unfortunately, most of the time you only learn from your mistakes and the Leaving Cert year is not very forgiving timewise so I often found myself at a loss for making these errs.

Consistency - Start the year as you intend you finish it by working at a continual pace. By doing this you will find yourself being better prepared than your peers and under less pressure and stress come the time of the exams.

Preparation - This was something I only started doing in the weeks leading up to the exams and it was always something that I found to be very helpful to be throughout the years but never really dedicated much time throughout the year to it. By preparing your own notes, you are condensing the sylabus into your own words which makes it infinitely easier to remember and study when the time comes to it.

Study Environment - Establish quickly where you study best. Some people study well when they're on the own in their room while others will find themselves being constantly distracted by the constant need to tidy their room. Enquire in your school about the possibility of supervised study as a well managed and supervised environment can do wonders for your productivity.

Leisure Time - Don't let the Leaving Cert put a hold on your life but at the same time don't take things to the extreme. We all need Hobbys to keep ourselves motivated and upbeat but if you find that going out two nights a weekend is causing you to lose concentration in a midweek slump then you should probably consider only going out the one night a week!

Avoid the Hangover! - A hangover can be dreadfully disruptive during the year and can result in hundreds of hours of missed study. I would actively encourage you to go to your friends eighteenths and enjoy your year, but I'd recommend you stay away from the cheap bottles of red wine and the darker drinks which all attract nasty hangovers. The rule of thumb is the darker your drink, the worse the hangover. Drink plenty of water and eat plenty and you should find yourself being fresh enough to study the next day!

Ask Questions - This is probably the most important thing of them all! If you don't quite understand something then ask a teacher or a trustworthy friend to explain it to you. If you are too shy to ask a teacher or can't find a knowledgeable friend then Boards.ie should be your next stop. Each year usually sees a small group of people who participate well and are only too happy to help users who are having problems.

The Pre's
    The Pre's certainly aren't the end of the world, as chances are you haven't covered enough of each course for you to be able to attain points that you believe you could. Our year tutor always said that it's not the results of the pre's that count, it's the experience. What's important to note though and this is something that I often see users on the board ask is that QUESTIONS INCLUDED IN YOUR PRE-PAPERS SHOULD NOT BE DISCOUNTED FROM THE TOPICS YOU INTEND ON STUDYING FOR THE ACTUAL EXAMS!!!. This is because the pre papers are prepared by commercial companies who are in no way connected to the State Examinations Commission!

The CAO
    For an idea of what the consequences of leaving the CAO too late are, you need look no further than my story of idiocity which I thankfully managed to resolve but I was very lucky! I can understand that many people will be uncertain of what they want to do right up until the deadline but just set a reminder on your phone and ensure that you are happy with your choices before the July 1st deadline!

I've been a member of Boards since early 2003, at I'll most likely continue to keep posting for the forseeable future, so if anyone wants any advice, don't hesistate to contact me by PM.

Adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Well i'm not going to type out massive posts like the other [psters in this stopic.....but this is what I did, and I'll share it with all of you.

(1)Get CAO done as early as possible.You can change it whenever the hell you want, so why not get it out of the way early?
    (2)Do at least some study for the mocks, don't just start the night before the english exam like I did, otherwise you will do terribly (I got like 280 in the mocks, and am planning on getting like 420 in the real thing).
    (3)Don't bother kiling yourself studying throughout the year, but at least do some.I made a MAJOR mistake and did nothing for the whole year, hell I rarely did homework either.As a result of this I was forced to take the entire month before the LC started off school, and had to do 6-8 hours of study every day for the entire month, using coffee and a high powered fan to keep me awake and alert.....Now it worked out great for me, and i'm sure i'll get my points, but I still wish I would have done somemore work throughout the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Damn, that oral tip was deadly and I never thought of it during the year. I sometimes speak Irish to one of me mates anyway when I don't want others to understand what we're saying, but nothing for French.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Learn to learn from a book without a teacher
    "OMG, it's so unfair, I have a crap teacher and we never even covered X topic in class." is not an excuse.

QFT. Very important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Oooh, here's a good one:

Remember to use an apostrophe when showing possession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

For the Orals: Make sure that you don't try and learn any new words just prior to entering the room. When you forget them (and you will) you'll either panic just a little or try and remember them so hard that it looks to the examiner that you're not realt paying attention.

Also, speak slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Oooh, here's a good one:

Remember to use an apostrophe when showing possession
    I resisted in pointing this out as it would have detracted from the thread's originality :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

CSON, you will go far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

cson wrote:

As I approach the milestone of 1000 posts I want to give something back to the place that has given so much to me *dabs tears from eyes*. So for my thousandth post I’m gonna try help all you 2007/2008 LC’ers with some sorta guide to the big LC.

Intro: So this is the point where the panic sets in. Its your last year at school (Or your going for an encore by repeating) and everyone expects so much and so on so forth. It’d all make you want to pack up all your **** and retreat to the wild hills of Connemara to hide in a cave until the Leaving is over.

“So we can do that?” I hear you say. Well not exactly, see theres the small matter of getting points, college and whole lot of other minor things that hiding in a cave in Connemara just doesn’t do for you. Besides, theres no broadband out there. Or electricity now I come to think of it.

Time for another revelation, one that may shock and disturb you, the leaving cert is not the end of the world. Now read that carefully again. Yes, that’s right the bible doesn’t say that on the 8th day God came down from heaven and decreed that all human existence shall cease due to the leaving cert. Believe it or believe it not, life may actually continue as it had before.

I’ve divided this guide into little segments on everything and anything. If by some miracle I’ve left something out PM me and in it will go! Now, the time has come for us to continue on our quest for information on how to survive the monstrous leaving cert…..

1: Boards.ie: You simply positively absolutely have to join boards. Now the good thing is you’ve seen the light if you’re reading this and if you haven’t already joined, join now for gods sake! Before its too late! When you join, read the charter and don’t do any crazy wacko jacko stuff and you’ll become a valued member of the LC board in no time at all.

Anything you want to ask about any subject, post a thread about it. The boardsies who frequent the LC board are friendly helpful creatures and will do their best for you. Anything you want to know, post it up and you more than likely will find your answer. And more than that, chat on the board, have a bit of craic, have some debates – they are arguably the best thing about the board.

Use the internet to your advantage too. Wikipedia and skoool.ie are excellent sites for finding out stuff, or helping you understand stuff. Use the sticky for links that’s on the forum too.

>Boards Lexicon
    • Afaik: As far as I know
    • Ftw: For the win
    • Qft: Quoted for truth
    • Iirc: If I remember correctly
    • Imo: In my opinion

2: Study: A rather contentious issue. Many many threads start on the basis of study. Now the question that is asked is usually how many hours study should you be doing. It seems like the macho thing to do is lock yourself away in your study for a whole 9 months reading and writing until your hand is raw and bloody!
    Not quite. The real thing about studying is not the quantity you do but the quality. What does quality mean? Well I think it means understanding what you need to know from a topic, being able to answer exam questions on it without any doubts.

How do you do this? Well I find jobs are that much easier if broken up into little bits. So lets say you divide your study timetable of 3 hours into 4 segments of 45 minutes each. Now subdivide the 45 minute segments e.g. For English spend 15 minutes learning Shakespeare quotes (write them out), spend 15 minutes doing a comprehension question and spend 15 minutes reading a novel or newspaper (I know this seems mad, but I’ll show you my reasoning behind it later)

I would also say that you shouldn’t just take off into 5 hours study after school as soon as the 1st September comes. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. You’ll only wear yourself out that way. Start off gradually so that you’ll be hitting your peak around May sometime. That might be doing say 1 hour study per day at the start and building it up as time goes on.

Practicality is huge too. Reading reams of note and books is a very blunt study method. Try and test yourself at all times and get into the mentality of an exam. Take the list of Irish phrases on the sticky on the board for example. What I did was print out a copy, then print out a copy with only the English meanings on it and see if I could fill it up with the Irish translation. You’ll be amazed how quickly you learn stuff off this way.

As well, try and do after school study if your school does it. The lack of distractions there will make you study.

3: Going Out: My leaving cert year was actually the best year I ever had in school. Why? Because I went to all my friends 18th’s and went out almost every weekend. Now I’m not saying that you go out Friday, Saturday and Sunday and get twisted every time. There is a middle ground. Go out and enjoy yourself, be amongst your friends. The worst thing you could possibly do in your toughest school year is cut yourself off from your friends. If you go out, enjoy yourself with your friends you never know, it might just be the best year of school ever.

4: School: Probably best that you go in most days. I know the lure of mitching is hard to resist but that’s what TY was for. On a serious note, one of the best things you can do this year is question your teachers. Go up at the end of class if it bothers you asking questions in class. But ask, make sure you understand the stuff they’re trying to teach.

Another thing, if you have a mate who say is great at maths and you happen to be above average in say Irish, why not help each other? I helped a mate of mine for his Irish oral and he helped me in maths. And if you’re excellent at everything? Share the love.

Lastly, this is probably the last time you’re ever gonna see most of the people in your year. So if there are hatchets to be buried, bury them. (Not in someones back either!). Get on with everyone in your year and this year will be a lot easier for you. Not to mention how quick it goes. Don’t be surprised to find yourself facing into the xmas exams thinking where did the time go. It flies.

5: The Mockery Examinations: The time of the year when the panic button is most likely to be pressed. These are way more tiring than your actual leaving cert. You’ve got 2 weeks worth of exams crammed into 1 week. Now I would advise against what I did, going out in Galway the Saturday before. You do not want to be facing into English with a bitch of a hangover. So it’s probably best taking the week/weekend off beforehand.

Secondly; resist the urge to come on here and spread the good word. It is of no benefit to you to know whats coming up. I did it myself last year and it certainly does you no good. Your better off making your best attempt at it and seeing where exactly you are. Anyway, after reading this guide you should have nothing to worry about in any case!

And thirdly, don’t set too much store by the mocks. They give a rough indication of how you’re doing. They’re a lot tougher than the actual leaving cert imo because you haven’t got the courses finished, they’re compressed into a week and some of the questions are notoriously hard and unfair.

Also, get those rubber grips for your pens cos after English on day one your hand will want to die. The grips lessen the dying effect. Take a few walks after each exam too, you’ll be surprised how clouded your mind gets after each exam. And try not to study too late, theres nothing worse than going into a maths-irish day with only 3 hours sleep on ya.

6: Exercise: Almost as important as study I believe. If you want to do well in the leaving you have to have distractions from it as well. Somewhere you can just chill out and forget about it all, if only for an hour. At the very least take a few walks in the evening, especially if you have a forest near you. Join a leisure centre and use it after studying. Keep up your other sports hurling, football, rugby, whatever they are. Besides you want to keep fit for college, how dya expect to score otherwise?

7: The Orals: Not as enticing as they sound ;) Well the best advice I can give you is to get into a group of say 4/5 and meet once a week from Sept onwards where you solely speak French/irish/whatever to each other. Now I know its tempting to turn it into a session and many’s the time I did myself but it’s actually best if you try and do a bit of work. Secondly, learn one phrase a week in each language and you should be nicely poised to stun the examiner into silence with your breathtaking seanfhocails. The worst bit about the orals is the actual wait before you go in. Surround yourself in your friends and speak the language to each other beforehand. Once you’re in there, take a deep breath, start off with your family etc, make sure you understand the questions too before answering. Once you actually start the time flies and you’ll wonder what all the fuss was about beforehand.

8: The Actual Leaving Cert Itself: The first 3 days are the most exhausting days of the whole thing. You’ll have had a week off beforehand to prepare and the tension/pressure sorta builds up in between. Try and stick around with your friends for that week if you can in between study.

The best thing I ever did was go out for a pint the night before English. Not a session. 2 pints. I slept that night and was fairly relaxed in the morning, eat as much breakfast as you can too, bad thing having your stomach rumbling an hour into paper one . The main thing with English is not to rush into it, take a few mins to think of your answer before you start writing. Once you get going, get the finger out and give it welly cos you really get pushed for time in that exam.

Take a walk in between exams, it kinda refreshes your mind and puts you in a good mood for the afternoon. As well, when you come home, take an hour or two off before you start lashing into the cramming again. Swim, walk, ****, whatever it is that relaxes you.

And lastly, unless you intend going for the coroners office, stay away from the post mortems if you think you did bad. If you think you did good, come onto boards and boast your way to the high hills about it among like minded people.

9: The Debs: A major drama amongst the women-folk. Now if your going out with someone at the time your away with it, if your not maybe agree with a mate (preferably female) to go together early on in the year. If you want to go drink the hoop of it, don’t saddle yourself with a date but bring a like minded mate and drink yourselves into a coma.

Its important to note that you won’t actually remember most of what happens. Which can be a good and bad thing but its best cross that bridge when you come it.

10: CAO: Be smart (unlike me) and get this **** outta the way in November. There is nothing worse than having to sit through the agony of trying for hours to get into the site along with all the other unfortunate bastards that thought the day before it closes was a good day to apply.

Do it online so that it doesn’t actually matter what you put down cos you can change it right up to 1st of July and I’d recommend that you apply and leave it till after your last LC exam to fiddle with it.

So that’s the guts of my guide, there’ll be bits I’ve to add to it (results day etc) but that’s the bones of it and hopefully it should leave you well equipped to tackle the leaving cert.

If any of you want to add anything, post it below or if you have any questions post them below. So that was a 1000th post brought to you by Cson & Company productions!

Great advice thanks a lot:) . How long did it take you to make out that post?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Did you really have to quote his entire post?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Haha! I was just about to ask the same question.

Now, Cson, I didn't read it, but I hope you remembered to mention "texting random internet people in French coming up to the orals."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Of course Roz, text in french, all of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Did you really have to quote his entire post?!

Oh yah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 doria gray

Okay i started doing this around january unfortunately but it helped improve my french/insert whatever language here immensely, find the 45 essential questions you know come up frequently in the orals, then right them up with well written answers with some great little phrases in them, get your prof to correct then record them on your mp3 and listen to them over and over again, whenever wherever. Nobody knows what youre listening to and youll get used to the sound of the french. Also, the french institute off nassau street has a great library and its about 20 euro a year for membership but they have a great video library there. Rent a few tapes and videos and it will really help you hugely. I wish i had have known about the institute before the leaving but... shmooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Bumpity bump. I saw our first "what the hell should we do in leaving cert this year guys?" thread had sprung up already and I remembered writing this yoke out, it's basically what I think the LC is all about....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Great advice here, Thanks cson..

/me not really looking forward to the rest of this year :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

right 2 days back.
    did about 3 hours study in total
    i have my debs sorted (lol early bird gets the worm)

doing
    maths(h) enjoy it, very difficult imo,

irish(h) not too fond of it. dislike learning it. i have been to the gealtach for the last 7 years ever summer so i CAN speak it well.

english(h)alright at it. normally do alright in class(never really studyed for it)

french (p)have been told u need french for etc etc etc. but collages take a pass in lower and i could prob take the exam now and get a pass in it (did h up untill middle of 5th)

tech drawing(h) enjoy it, teacher thinks i can do well, one of the best in my class (not the best but deff top 4)

physics(h)enjoy it, with work i could do really well in it

accounting(h)fav subject, will do well.

applied maths(h)extra subject i did, not to hard at all. like maths applied to real life situations, dunno how it has such a bad rep

ehh since i was back on the thursday i pushed off serious work untill school starts for real, monday.

i think 6-8 hours a week is a bit much tbh.
    dont wish to be dead before i hit my premocks

ehh i play gealic and rugby. gealic ends soon and i may need to quit the rugby.
    since it requires trainning on a tuesday,friday with a match on sat.
    might just skip tuesday trainnings and play on fri and sat.

i know i said alot of crap here. am just a bit worried about what i should do. i know all the guides say the same thing.
    i am thinking about dropping irish or maths. (not that i can't do them more i could save a hell of an amount of time dropping one of them.

any advice is welcome.:confused: <-- me atm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Unfortunately, the Leaving Cert is hyped up by everyone. Believe me it's not that bad. And I'm sure there's a lot of people on these boards who'd agree with me. I mean, all this talk of studying and it's the begining of the bloody school year! I didn't start studying properly until after Christmas, and I got my first choice. Honestly, people are crazy of they're going to start worrying about that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Cson, am I the person whose thread you're referring to? :D I think so.

Nice guide, I'm actually looking forward to it all now!

Well, not that far but..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 tex mexx

yeah thanks,great advice!

Advertisement