Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dollar to euro currency exchange

• 02-08-2007 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Im planning on buying a property in NY and would like to take advantage of the good exchange rate at present.
    However the deal wont be closing until early next year . There seems to be a number of companies that allow you to buy currency at a set price in a future date. But to be honest I dont have a clue what the best way to go about this is. I would be grateful if anyone has any advice or could recommend someone i could ask! thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

One way to get around the issue (as the exchange rate is quite strong at the moment - it may well have peaked at $1.38 though) is to set up an American bank account and transfer/lodge the money. Needless to say you'll have to declare this to the taxman; off-shore accounts and all that. (I'm in America at the moment so you can use one of my accounts for a small fee if you like :D.)

What you're asking about though is a currency future. A future is essentially a contract to buy something in the future at a certain price, regardless of the pertaining market rate at that date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Probably better to buy an option as the rate may move ahead of the contract rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

You could open a US dollar deposit a/c in Ireland. BOI Global Markets (through a branch) would happily open one for you.

Advertisement