Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is The North-West becoming a better place to live ??..

• 02-08-2007 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Is the N.W becoming a better place to live , personally I believe at this point in our history as far as I can see only the greed merchants are prospering ?..

What do you think, have we lost the 'human touch ?..

P.:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Tons of houses and virtually no increase or growth in jobs or infrastructure. Not good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

I dont know. I grew up here and came back here. It appears to have changed in the last 20 years for sure. Kids used to be able to play wherever they wanted , now the roads are "wedged" (good sligo saying there for Gillie.). Now there is more poeple and less emigration, so at least the places are alive. Some creative and sensitive planning might help so that people donnt feel physically marginalised, with their localities resources squandered. Progress shouldnt come at any price.
    It is probably more about the fact that people have less time (or feel they have) to get involved. Is it the same faces on chambers of commerce, as local councillors (sp) and the like.
    Still when you look at the likes of Dublin and the affluence and greed there, the North west is still vibrant and a great place to live in for its people. Its all relative I suppose.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Tons of houses and virtually no increase or growth in jobs or infrastructure. Not good

Maybe that is why I am considering moving back to London, after 20 years back home in the Twin-Towns, at least in London I could go to the best Cinema's, theatres's' Museum's very easily.

As someone over 60 years old , I am in a situation whereby I can live where I choose, and I feel strongly that my home County has little to offer.

Am I wrong ?..

P. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,195 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Paddy20 wrote:
    Maybe that is why I am considering moving back to London........................Am I wrong
    Only you can answer that Paddy

muffler wrote:
    Only you can answer that Paddy

Sorry muffler,

I am looking for other people's opinions ;) maybe they have a view on whether I should abandon my beloved Donegal for the attraction of London and it's non parochial open environment. ?..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Paddy, I wouldnt ever do anything rash. You have to remember why you moved back? Is it really that bad back here? Yes I know the good things about London too.

I woudlnt be an older person in England.
    No the north west needs you!
    You get a better deal in Ireland after you're 66, but you are not even that old.
    Plenty of voluntarily mc years in you still. Its all about sharing isnt it...Get down to Leitrim with you!:)
    Nanook, where are you!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

tuppence wrote:
    ..Get down to Leitrim with you!:)
    Nanook, where are you!?

The streets of manorhamilton will never be the same again.

Paddy, come on down, get us our county representitives back.

Paddy for senator of the land of the windmills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Paddy20 wrote:
    Maybe that is why I am considering moving back to London, after 20 years back home in the Twin-Towns, at least in London I could go to the best Cinema's, theatres's' Museum's very easily.

As someone over 60 years old , I am in a situation whereby I can live where I choose, and I feel strongly that my home County has little to offer.

Am I wrong ?..

That's a tough call man. I love the scenery and the fresh air and all the other stuff that goes with being in the countryside, but I hate being so cut off from people all the time! admittedly its partly because my friends are across the country and I have no car, but sometimes the whole isolation thing can be a bit too much. Equally though I don't like towns and cities all that much so maybe I'm just grumpy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Paddy20 wrote:
    Maybe that is why I am considering moving back to London, after 20 years back home in the Twin-Towns.

If you change your tune as often as you do on here you'll be lucky to make it as far as Killygordon:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,195 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sesswhat wrote:
    If you change your tune as often as you do on here you'll be lucky to make it as far as Killygordon:D
    Just because you said that Paddy will head in the opposite direction via Donegal Town :D

• Advertisement

sesswhat wrote:

Please elaborate ?. For someone with 'so few' posts to your name, I am genuinely interested ;) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Well I don't have to go back far to find these comments..
    what part of the cesspit called London are you now living in
    unless someone invents a computer with morals and honesty to take over. I will settle for my home Country and County to live in

Has that computer been invented?

Good reply, I like it :) .

Now, how the hell do I get out of this one ?..

nanook wrote:
    The streets of manorhamilton will never be the same again.

Paddy, come on down, get us our county representitives back.

Paddy for senator of the land of the windmills

What on earth has Manorhamilton, got to do with me ?..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

paddy, someone suggested you move to leitrim.

I was just organising the welcome party

nanook wrote:
    paddy, someone suggested you move to leitrim.

I was just organising the welcome party

Would that include the offer of 'a simple' bedsit, without the noise from Mulrine's that is driving me crazy, and at a reasonable rent, where I could live as a hermit for my remaining days :confused: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Hard to answer your original point paddy, sure London has more but the best cinemas and theatres are probably too expensive for most pensioners there.

I think Donegal has developed well in this respect recently.

I personally believe that in the late eighties and early nineties development was achieved at any cost nearly just to get it and now we regret the way some of it was handled and how some more than others benefited.

But I do think this is changing. Certainly other unwelcome factors are now amongst us also and this would be true thoughout the nation. Many argue that when we were a god fearing catholic society this didn't happen, but many changes there have been positive too.

Its true roads are busier, streets aren't as safe be it at night or even to let kids play outside their homes.

Safety in my opinion has been compromised by lack of parental guidence rather than greed and its not all one parent families to blame as is often troughed out.

My question is, what happens should the boom bust, will Donegal suffer more than the rest and how would we cope with all the high stealth taxes that are either legislated for or some that follow on from EU directives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The big advantage for P20 moving to London is that he could post about the unfairness of the poll tax and compare the mess of the NHS to the HE.

The big advantage for P20 moving to London is that he could post about the unfairness of the poll tax and compare the mess of the NHS to the HE.

Good point JC,

I am aware of the NHS fiasco, and note that HE is not the HSE ;) To be honest it is highly unlikely that I will be returning to live in London, as having considered my personal health, it would not be wise. For me not to stay at home and I will be buried in my family plot in Stranorlar, old graveyard.

Advertisement