Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want gaming Broadband!

Options
  • 02-08-2007 9:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi all.

Long time reader first time poster and all that.

Anyway.

I currently have a wireless broadband package from Net1, Im from Co Louth. My connection is as slow if not slower than dail-up usually getting 20-50kp/s on a very good day. 2-5kb/s on a normal day. Im getting very pi5sed off with it as you can imagine and i keep emailing them but to no avail.

I (try) to use broadband for downloading music and movies and things but I mostly use it for PS3 gaming,

Im looking at SkyDSL and all the other Sat broadband companys and they seem very cheap for what your getting. I have heard its terrible for gaming and I can understand why BUT, What I have is terrible for gaming so my question is,

Is it IMPOSSIBLE to use one way Sat broadband for PC and PS3 Gaming?

If so, can anyone recommend to me any other form of broadband that I might be able to receive?

Thanks in advance

David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Forget satellite broadband for gaming. Your pings will be sky high. I think the latency is nearly 2 seconds, I'm open to correction there. Some servers have max ping limits and will boot you off if your ping is greater than say 125ms.

Other than using a landline for DSL, you're screwed. From your post it seems you've tried wireless and it ain't working for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheTick

Hi,

You could try 3G broadband as offered by most of the mobile operators.

http://three.ie/broadband/datamodem.htm

You'll have to check that you have 3G coverage in your area and also check that you have HSDPA coverage (enhanced version of 3G). They are not the same thing, a 3G cell may not be HSDPA capable.

According to a few white papers (after a quick google), with 3G HSDPA networks round trip delays go down to 50-150 ms. It would be good to see what this is like in reality.

Do a bit of digging to see if others have used these types of services for gaming and find it playable, i've seen it discussed here before.

As the previous poster says you'll need pings of around <100ms to play.

I work in telecoms and 3G is constantly developing, there are other enhancements like HSDPA (this is related to down link traffic only) which will improve the system further. These will probably take an unnecessarily long time to make it to the Irish market... as usual...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭rav1410

Hi lads,

Thanks for your replys.

Yea I have tried the DSL route but Im in the middle of the countryside so no hope there.

I looked at 3 last week but unfortunitly im not in the coverage area, (Suprise suprise)

Looks like im stuck with what I have so but thanks for the info, Ill go digging up old posts now about gaming.

Cheers anyway lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Mobile broadband from 3 will be no good for gaming.

Our usual pings are just under 250ms.

I thought Net1 were supposed to be a good operator. Are you only contacting support by email or have you tried ringing them? If your leaving messages, I'd assume they'll never get back to you (customer support is too hectic for them to get back to you) so you'll need to keep ringing until you get through to someone.

If they are that busy, its likely this isn't only happening to you and they are trying to fix the problem (if they are a proper provider).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭rav1410

Would you believe it I got an email back off them today at lunch time.

They say they will now try and turn my radio around to a different transmitter, One on Cavan Hill (where ever that is). So I'm hoping for the best,

The worst of it all is that I know that they do give a good service as we had it in work for 2 years and it was excellent, not very relibable but VERY fast indeed. Download speeds of 350kb/s, sometimes more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement