Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working in Summer

• 02-08-2007 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

It's just wrong....wrong wrong wrong. I should be staying up until 3 or 4am playing poker, watching baseball etc then sleeping until 1pm. Have breakfast at lunch time, watch ****e on TV all afternoon, play football until 10pm and repeat.
    I just can't get used to going to bed at midnight during Summer.
    12 years of school, 4 years in college, 4 years of postgrad, happened to be doing bugger all in Summer '05, quit working in Intel coz I hated it (and wanted to watch the world cup) in Summer '06, and now here I am at 28 working during the Summer for the first time ever, and it SUCKS (even though I like my job).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

zuutroy wrote:
    and now here I am at 28 working during the Summer for the first time ever, and it SUCKS (even though I like my job).

Something tells me you're not going to getmany sympathetic replies to this

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Collie D wrote:
    Something tells me you're not going to getmany sympathetic replies to this
    i miss having empty summers of nothingness... aint had one since i was 15... :( stupid money being needed for stupid stuff... i still try stay up til bout 2am if possible but im rightly fcuked the next day after that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

True enough...though re-reading my post I now know why I've got bugger all in the way of savings and more in the way of loans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

Don't worry your spirit of freedom will soon get crushed under the monotony of day in day out boring work, and you'll soon forget all about being able to enjoy your summer, and just accept the emptiness inside. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Themainman

Ha! I had the very same issues so i went and became a teacher after one summer of work, and the holidays do make up for having to put up with the little ****s!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Yeah...:rolleyes: strange how getting a real job (other than teaching) means working through the summer isn't it...
    But then if no-one worked in the Summer there'd be nothing to do, no petrol for cars, no public transport, no bike repair shops, nowhere to buy food, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'm working in a County Council in the midlands which forces me to live in another town. It's great really, I live alone in a crappy flat, all my friends are back in my hometown, I don't really talk to anyone at work let alone know anyone in the town, straight after work everyday I go home to my flat and twiddle my thumbs waiting for the next day to start, I spend 5 days alone to myself, most of my crappy weekly wages are taken on rent and food leaving with nothing to do or buy, most of my friends went to Spain for a week leaving me here cuz again I can't afford anything, and I can't sleep at night cuz people seem to love fighting / shagging in the alley outside my window which results in me nearly coming in late most days

Yep, have to say this is the best summer yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

farohar wrote:
    Yeah...:rolleyes: strange how getting a real job (other than teaching) means working through the summer isn't it...
    But then if no-one worked in the Summer there'd be nothing to do, no petrol for cars, no public transport, no bike repair shops, nowhere to buy food, etc...

That pretty much describes central europe at this time of year!
    Hopefully with in 5 years I'll have a nice lecturing job and be back to the glory days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Glad to hear everything is as it should be. YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO LIKE WORKING. THAT'S WHY THEY PAY YOU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

zuutroy wrote:
    Hopefully with in 5 years I'll have a nice lecturing job and be back to the glory days...
    Most of them have to deal with the postgrads during the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

splinter wrote:
    i miss having empty summers of nothingness... aint had one since i was 15... :( stupid money being needed for stupid stuff... i still try stay up til bout 2am if possible but im rightly fcuked the next day after that..

I AM 15 and I'm working in summer :( Nobody told me how much work SUCKED. And I had such an amazing summer last year but now, all my mates are out drinking and I'm stuck walking home, putting a pizza in the oven and falling asleep on the couch!

I wouldn't recommend teenagers to work during the summer...you'll have plenty of time once you finish school. Don't waste your holidays!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

zuutroy wrote:

here, here, well said old chap. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I AM 15 and I'm working in summer :( Nobody told me how much work SUCKED. And I had such an amazing summer last year but now, all my mates are out drinking and I'm stuck walking home, putting a pizza in the oven and falling asleep on the couch!

I wouldn't recommend teenagers to work during the summer...you'll have plenty of time once you finish school. Don't waste your holidays!!!

I'd also recommend you go to college after school. College is like summer all year round, except during the actual summer in which I am forced to work, but the college year kicks a55.

I've been working nearly nonstop since I was 13 years old.. I'm 22 now.

And besides, you shouldn't be getting drunk anyways if you're only 15.

Advertisement