Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Hob Smells

Options
  • 02-08-2007 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Have a gas hob in the kitchen, the gas is piped in from a regular cylinder out the back. It has been working grand for the last 2 years. However the flame seems to have developed a smell, I think it is charcoal like, my wife describes it as plastic. There is no gas smell as such.

By 'coincidence' in the last few days we got a bit of work done out near the cylinder so maybe something out there got damaged. However having spent some time out there with the washing up liquid bubbles I am pretty sure there isn't a leak.

Is it possible that the pipe might be slightly pinched or something. Anyone have any ideas on what this is, or more importantly - could it be dangerous?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hard to say. Impure or incomplete conbustion usually results in a coloured flame. Are you getting a blue flame all the way to the tip?
    Can you swap over the regulator to see if there is a leaking seal?
    Do you have a carbon-monoxide detector fitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are you sure there isn't a bit of something - food, plastic, melted to the hob burner covers? A tiny bit can singe for quite a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 josie joe

Thanks for tips people - have now got me a CO detector just in case. The smell seems to have *almost* completely gone. There is a small kink in the pipe outside (less now than it was) so maybe.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

You probably know about lpg ,but when it leaks it falls to the ground like water .

Advertisement