Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Buyers Guide V AutoTrader

Options
  • 02-08-2007 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Been trying to sell my car on carzone for ages and even though i got a great response and a few people that probably would have bought the car, due to family issues, holidays and a family tradgedy I couldnt sell the car.

now I'm goin to look at a few cars next week and i'm sure i'll want to buy one of them so I want to advertise the car in either the car buyers guide or autotader, i'd prefer both but right now because i've been off work for 2 weeks i've no wages so can only afford one.

so the question is which do you read the most? which do you think would be the best to put the car into so that i can get a good response and get it sold as quick as possible? bear in mind that autotrader is around €40 dearer than CBG too

Which is better for selling thecar? 12 votes

Car Buyers Guide
    0%
    Autotrader
    100%
    StephenVexorgednwirelandmijuROVERfletchbbabilityWeaselatormaster-troadrunner41Philemon86GinaGTI 12 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

This is a question i've pondered many times too! I have put loads of ads on carzone as I think its good value, €30 for as long as it takes to sell and it seems to get a load of viewers. That said I think I've only sold one car off the back of it. Similiarly I've put a good few on CBG and can guarantee that none has sold on it, and they do my head in cold calling when they see my ad somewhere else. buyandsell.ie is good, but now they've gone really expensive too if you want a decent ad, so much for free ads paper! Have never put ad in autotrader as it seems more northern ireland based, but could be wrong.

In my opinion, the best way to sell your car is get it cleaned up and sparkling and put it somewhere it'll be seen in the flesh so to speak. Always works for me more than the private ads. Just be careful though as lots of local authorities now ban cars for sale on side of road!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Carzone is the way to go. IMHO CBG & AutoTrader are useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

If i was in a rush to sell a car i might use autotrader. I would not buy cbg as its full of trade ads. I have heard a fair few people saying they have hasd their car on carzone and never got a single call from it. I think if you are putting it on carzone it has to be one of the best or cheapest for the type there. Also probably depends on the type of car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I would put it on Carzone, Clean it up take some good quality photos, give full/detailed listing of spec & extras etc, use no superlatives and price fairly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

<Admin edit> Boards.ie is not a place to have a "go" at a previous employer, let not do it again

Thanks

Vex</edit>

I'd be going with Autotrader anyday, they seem professional enough not to cold call you illegally anyway, which is a start.

• Advertisement

TomMc wrote:
    I would put it on Carzone, Clean it up take some good quality photos, give full/detailed listing of spec & extras etc, use no superlatives and price fairly.

Autotrader recently bought out Carzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,465 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

TomMc wrote:
    Carzone is the way to go

+1

Don't forget www.adverts.ie and www.buyandsell.net either, especially on lower valued cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I didn't vote for either. Maybe there should be a "none of the above" option on this pole.

I find the cbg.ie website to be absolutely terrible. The layout is very poor and you can still find cars up there that have been sold months ago.

Autotrader is not the worst and handy if your looking for a car up North.

Carzone is light years ahead of both imo and good value at €30 until the car is sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Autotrader
    I hate the search on autotrader...completely woeful unless you know exactly which model you are after. I only use it when looking at cars up North

Unfortunately autotrader seem to be doing a bit of cold calling now, got a call or two before but nothing like cbg. Agree that they tend to bully, one guy convinced me a couple of months ago with the old 'doing a special on wexford cars... one time only offer' rubbish, and he said he take the pictures and text of my carzone ad, well I've never seen a worse written ad in my life. needless to say it didn't sell. NEVER AGAIN!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

TomMc wrote:

Nail on the head there. A car in good condition together with realistic pricing will generate enquiries.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Nail on the head there. A car in good condition together with realistic pricing will generate enquiries.

I have it up on carzone, the link is in my sig if anyone wants a look and suggest an improvement, I believe the price is very very fair but will welcome comments on that too

Yeh i plan to put it into out trader and the local trader that does be sold around here and possibly get for sale stickers on the car too.

think i'll just stick it up on autotrader website anyway to see if it generates any interest.

Carzone is definetely the best, am aware of that The car should be long sold since it was up on that but for the reasons i stated above i could sell the car, its just now i've found the car i want i need it sold quickly and need the best coverage possible for the least money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Carzone is the most popular website at the moment, but might be over-crowded and if the price is not right is hard to make a sale.

CBG has done a lot of work on theirs but still requires more.

Autotrader is more popular for UK and N.I then Ireland.

Buy & Sell is better for cheap cars then anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I think carzone should not let you keep the ads up forever, too many people using it to get people to ring them as they are trading. Also i wish on carzone you could ad a key word into the search. At the same time its much better than autotrader and the cgb search is a joke. The english autotrader site is muhc better for some reason.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Draffodx - you have pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 FTO

I am selling my jeep, i have it up on adverts.ie and buy and sell and have not got one call, maybe im looking for to much (http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=28604&cat=2 )! anyway i was seriously thinking of putting it up on carzone. CBG has just a crap website but i dont think Autotrader is much better! The pics on autotrader are to small and rarely give much info.

As far as magazines go i deliver them in the North West region and for every CBG we deliver there must be at least 50 Autotrader (west of Ireland additon anyway) and they sell! its the ONE magazine we dont carry many returns off, Not sure about the rest of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

thanks for the pm Henry Ford

fto yeh put it up on carzone i previously got alot of calls about my car from carzone but was unable to let the car go so it is a good website to have it on

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

FTO wrote:
    I am selling my jeep, i have it up on adverts.ie and buy and sell and have not got one call, maybe im looking for to much (http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=28604&cat=2 )! anyway i was seriously thinking of putting it up on carzone. CBG has just a crap website but i dont think Autotrader is much better! The pics on autotrader are to small and rarely give much info.

As far as magazines go i deliver them in the North West region and for every CBG we deliver there must be at least 50 Autotrader (west of Ireland additon anyway) and they sell! its the ONE magazine we dont carry many returns off, Not sure about the rest of the country

In fairness anyone looking to spend €34k on a vehicle is probably not going to be browsing www.adverts.ie. They will more than likely looking at dealer listings on the likes of carzone.

Take a look at the average price on carzone of your vehicle:http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&maxrows=100&MakeID=36&xMakeID=36&ModelID=792&xModelID=792&Year=2006&xYear=2006&submit=Find+cars+%3E%3E

Note that most of them are dealer asking prices too. Your going to have to pitch it a little below the cheapest if you want to sell it quickly.

Hells bells. One up there for under €27k!

hmmm .. well is it just me or do others find that when you are trying to gauge a price of a car on the likes of carzone or others that you always seem to have at least one on either end of the spectrum, i.e. one really expensive and one really cheap compared to all others.

Normally, when you look closer though you find the cheap one is a price without VRT or just doesn't exist! Either way it distorts the price and can even void the price calculator thing on cbg as it mightened be giving true average price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GinaGTI

Autotrader
    I personally think Car Buyers Guide has gotten alot better, and that account story has to be b*ll****. There is no possible way that anyone could do that without getting cought out. Thousands of euro missing and not looked for, doubt it! I have sold my last two cars of CBG, a 1.4L Golf and a the most recent was a Fiesta. I got inundated with english lads ringing me with scams off carzone, couldnt take it anymore so went with cbg. Still happens, bnut alot less. I think its cuz Autotrader own them anyway, so the english companies have better access to the info. I think if ya gave CBG a chance you would be pleasantly suprised now. No timewasting loosers ringing/texting/emailing you cuz they have f*ck all else to do with themselves. Proper enquiries.;)

GinaGTI wrote: »
    No timewasting loosers ringing/texting/emailing you cuz they have f*ck all else to do with themselves. Proper enquiries.;)

Of course if you advertise your car for sale with Autotrader, Carzone or Buy & Sell, you will have timewasting losers ringing/texting/emailing from CBG, cold calling you to get a sale, which as far as I know is illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GinaGTI

Autotrader
    Its a catch 22 to be honest, realistically either way you are goin to get calls. It's about where you get the best response, and ideally when your competing in the current market it doesnt help advertising with northern ireland cars and prices around you.

Advertisement