Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to beat a cold in a day?

• 02-08-2007 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some quick tips to get rid of a cold. The problem is that
    I'm in Galway for the races and the last thing I want is to be miserable for the
    next few days!

So what tips do people have to beat a cold in one day?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Tank Rush?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Take Sh*tloads of Vitamin C. ooh and Uniflu Tablets are very good.

Although in saying that....i started doing both those things last weekend and my Cold is only leaving now. :( but the Uniflu Normally gets it. Give Uniflu Plus a lash maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Zapho wrote:
    I'm looking for some quick tips to get rid of a cold. The problem is that
    I'm in Galway for the races and the last thing I want is to be miserable for the
    next few days!

So what tips do people have to beat a cold in one day?
    Positive thinking is your only man. Stop being miserable and letting your cold be the boss of you. Take affirmative action and smile through your spluttering. Welcome each sneeze like it were the climax of your frequent masturbation. Positive thinking is a great ally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

a bucket load of hot toddies! :P they seem to do the trick. plenty of vitamin c and that echinacea stuff. (even if it is a placebo...ive yet to make up my mind!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

Pighead wrote:
    Positive thinking is your only man. Stop being miserable and letting your cold be the boss of you. Take affirmative action and smile through your spluttering. Welcome each sneeze like it were the climax of your frequent masturbation. Positive thinking is a great ally.

Today on DR. Pighead we have a mother who has a child who was born with an ass for a face. Her husband, cleroy-francisco, found out she had an affair and wont pay for the ass kids health ...what can Dr Pighead do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Alcohol is surprisingly effective. If you can feel a cold coming on, then a couple of hot toddies can do well. I suspect that a higher concentration of alcohol in your blood stream makes it more difficult for the pathogen to successfully travel around. If your cold is already in full flow, alcohol will only make you feel worse the next day.

When you already have a cold, vitamin C is useless. Vitamin C is a preventative measure, not a curative one.

You'd also be surprised at the effect that tiredness can have to make a cold feel ten times worse. Get tonnes of sleep (up to and over 12 hours), and even if the cold remains, you won't feel half as crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Hot toddies, now there's an idea.....Yeah I've been hitting the Vit C hard (if you can actually hit a vitamin hard....)

Wow Pighead, I've never heard anyone describe a cold like that, its almost poetic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Pighead wrote:
    spoken like a true Dear Siobhain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I've had a chest infection since last Friday and was out on the lash last night and I'm feeling pretty good.

Although it could be the anti-biotics I'm taking as well....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Bring an extra hip flask with you and you'll be fine!

• Advertisement

When you already have a cold, vitamin C is useless. Vitamin C is a preventative measure, not a curative one.

ah, ok thanks for that! thats my new thing learned for today so. i guess just make sure the measurement in the hot toddie is 1:1 and you'll be laughin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

basin of boiling water....plant your head over it, stick a towel over the whole arrangement and stay there for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rollie

hot whiskey's with lemon and honey.

the lemon gives you the vit. c, the honey gives you sugar energy and the whiskey makes you pissed enough to believe its working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Niamho! wrote:
    Take Sh*tloads of Vitamin C. ooh and Uniflu Tablets are very good.

Although in saying that....i started doing both those things last weekend and my Cold is only leaving now. :( but the Uniflu Normally gets it. Give Uniflu Plus a lash maybe.

Recent research has shown that Vitamin C has very little, if any, effect on the common cold. Taken everyday it will increase your general health and immune system but once you have the cold there is little point in chowing down a ball of Vit C.

http://news.independent.co.uk/health/article2779434.ece

Echinacea is a herbal remedy that's supposed to be the business. But I've never tried it. Can be got in any health food shop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

:(

no one liked my tank rush joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Mordeth wrote:
    :(

I dont think anyone gets it.....explain?

Oh you mean like military tanks....I get stuff.

i did, i was just ticked off that i had all my buildings made and then i hear those infamous two words......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    EDIT: its from Command and Conquer isnt it?

yeah hot toddie = whiskey,boiling water, lemon and honey. you can also put the echinacea in there too i suppose! better safe than sorry. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

i used to work with an ex israely soldier (built like a tank) and he said that the army over there cant afford to mess around when it comes to sickness of any sort. They get oranges, apples and bananas and make a smoothie. 2 of them, and in cases of flu they drink hot water with lemon juice and honey in it - clears the throat.

A shot of whiskey can help too and not to mention a good kip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Gettin some great tips here guys, thanks!

I was gonna make a comment on the Tank Rush joke, but then Pighead posted his message, which, to be fair, was brilliant.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

seamus wrote:
    You'd also be surprised at the effect that tiredness can have to make a cold feel ten times worse. Get tonnes of sleep (up to and over 12 hours), and even if the cold remains, you won't feel half as crap.
    I second that. Sleep can work wonders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Actually what really does the trick is Chili
    The hot whiskey works a treat too but get a fresh red chili and eat it raw.
    The lips will sting a bit for an hour but it is fantastic for you. Clears the head, throat and nose. I find them great for colds but here's the wiki

Red chilis are very rich in vitamin C and provitamin A. Yellow and especially green chilis (which are essentially unripe fruit) contain a considerably lower amount of both substances. In addition, peppers are a good source of most B vitamins, and vitamin B6 in particular. They are very high in potassium and high in magnesium and iron. Their high vitamin C content can also substantially increase the uptake of non-heme iron from other ingredients in a meal, such as beans and grains.

All chili peppers contain phytochemicals known collectively as capsaicinoids. These are a proven treatment for skin pain. They are the primary active ingredient in over-the-counter topical ointments and may alleviate a wide range of joint and muscle pain, including pain from arthritis.[12]

Current research shows positive results in a wide range of benefits from internal ingestion of capsaicinoids. They have been shown, in laboratory settings, to shrink cancerous tumors with minimal side-effects. [13] They are known to control or even eliminate certain parasites in the gastro-intestinal tract; for this reason, they are a useful dietary component in tropical regions.[14] Chili peppers might have cardiovascular benefits, although proven benefits appear to be limited to increased myocardial perfusion in men.[15]Some sources also claim weight loss properties (by inducing thermogenesis).[16] Hot peppers can provide symptomatic relief from rhinitis and possibly bronchitis by thinning and clearing mucus from stuffed noses or congested lungs.[17] One very promising avenue of research lies in the prevention and control of hyperglycemia and diabetes; according to a study by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, the amount of insulin required to lower blood sugar after a meal is reduced if the meal contains chili pepper.[17] Canadian researchers believe that chilies might play a vital role in treating diabetes.[18] Chili pepper as a component in weight loss diets has been the subject of a book titled "The Chili Pepper Diet"[19].

Chillies do speed up your metabolism and have more vitamin C in them than any other fruit. (Yes chilli is a fruit) Also be noted that the hotter the chilli the more vitamin C they contain. Apparently the red variety of the habanero chilli from Mexico contains more than 350x the amount of vitamin C than the average orange!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Sweet peppers are also very high in vitamin c if chilis are too hot for you.
    Something like 6 times the amount you get in an orange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Go to a doctor or pharmacist.

Drinking alcohol with painkillers is dangerous and often ineffective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Drink water! lots and lots of water. always works for me, I dont think Ive ever had a cold for more than a day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

yeah water, plenty of it, and honey and lemon with a little whiskey also helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

liquids flush the bacteria out of the system - drink plenty

you can sweat out a cold too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

seamus wrote:

Wait, what? Vitamin C is good for the immune system. The immune system is the one thing that beats each and every cold. I'm failing to see your logic here...

Anyway, my prime solution to a cold is as follows:

Get a big ass bowl/mug. As big as you can get. Chop up a full orange/lemon/lime, whatever citrus stuff is around. Dump them into the bowl, cover in honey, sprinkle in some cloves, pour in hot water and leave it for a few minutes. Give it a poke and stir. Then pour in a good slosh of whiskey. When its almost empty you can top up with some more water/honey/whiskey. Do this a few times, eat well and get plenty sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Echinacea has been proven to work if taken at first sign of cold - I can't find the link.

Hot drinks are good be it tea, whiskey, or lemsip as heat prevents infection in the nose and throat.

Honey (unprocessed if possible) is also good as it has anti bacterial/ viral properties. Garlic has a similiar effect.

During colds and other infections, the body's levels of vitiman C drop dramatically - why it's thought that it boosts the immune system and helps prevent/ cure colds.

That new vics spray stuff is supposed to be good but I haven't tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

When I first saw this thread, I thought it was called "How to beat a child in a day?"

I'm nearly over a cold now and I'd recommend booze at night as well. Helps you sweat it out.

During the day, take paracetamol to keep the temperature and aches at bay and some decongestant to clear your tubes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

two tablets of 4flu. 3 hours later 2 tablets of lemsip.

always works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

agamemnon wrote:
    I'm nearly over a cold now and I'd recommend booze at night as well. Helps you sweat it out. During the day, take paracetamol to keep the temperature and aches at bay and some decongestant to clear your tubes.
    Do not mix alcohol and paracetamol.

Booze only hides some of the symptoms, it doesn't cure anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

cayenne pepper works wonders when you have a cold

Advertisement