Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Population

• 02-08-2007 11:42am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I thought this maybe of interest to some of you...

Balbriggan Population Increases 141%

26th April 2007

The latest census figures released, confirm the continuing rapid growth of Balbriggans population. From a 2002 recorded population of 3,663 it has grown a staggering 141% to 8,828 as per 2006 figures.

Commenting on the figures, Balbriggan Chamber President Garvan Cerasi said “These figures confirm what we’ve known over the last four years, that Balbriggan has undergone extensive development”.

The Chamber of Commerce has raised concerns over the sacristy of trade up developments. The failure to supply adequate four and five bed detached developments means the town is loosing valuable members of the community to surrounding area’s where developments have been completed.

The population increase has primarily been driven by young first time buyers eager to get on the property ladder although Balbriggan has seen interest from investors. This interest has been attributed to the towns large industrial land bank and proximity to the Bremore Port development.

Transport infrastructure for the growing population is an obvious concern. On this subject, Chamber President Garvan Cerasi commented “many are forced onto the roads due to dangerous overcrowding on City bound carriages. Scene’s of frustration are commonplace as commuters struggle on an inadequate infrastructure. With the Metro planned for Swords would it not be prudent to extend to Balbriggan? The Chamber has been actively lobbying for a Metro extension and feels it’s a “no-brainer”.”

The Chamber is actively working towards marketing Balbriggan as a commercial centre for new businesses. With the ongoing development of the Fingal Bay and M1 Business Parks, local employment opportunities are slowing emerging.

With a potential population of 21,275 in 2010 based on current increases, The Chamber of Commerce feel effective development of local employment, housing and an effective public transport infrastructure are essential if we are to ensure the sustainable social development of Balbriggan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭dubmick

I find it hard to believe that 'only' 8,828 people live in Balbriggan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,785 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

According to the 2006 Census figures Balbriggan's population is as follows:

Urban 2002: 6,631
    Urban 2006: 6,731

Rural 2002: 3,663
    Rural 2006: 8,828

Total 2002: 10,294
    Total 2006: 15,559

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

So a 50% increase instead of a 141%.

Stats for 1996
    Urban 5743
    Rural 2730
    total 7473

I'm kind of surprised that the population has only doubled in the last 10 years. I suppose the number of dwellings have gone up more than that but the number in each dwelling has gone down.

Wasn't that one of the big findings of the last census - the decline of the number of two parent families living in houses and the rise in the number of people living alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,785 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

wow sierra wrote:
    So a 50% increase instead of a 141%.
    Lies, damn lies & statistics! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I was starting to think that 8,000 was a low number, as I thought it was that when I was a child. Turns out we've a division in the town "Urban" vs. "Rural" even though there's probably no gap between where Urban ends and Rural begins.

Still, the old Adage is true "I don't believe any statistics other than the ones I have made up myself". :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement