Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phones in the toilet

• 02-08-2007 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I noticed this morning that at work I always put my mobile on silent when I go in to take a dump. I would never answer the phone while on the toilet and I don't want it ringing while I'm sitting there, pants around the ankles, and have to leave it ring annoying everyone in the toilets.

Is there some manner of phone/toilet etiquette?

Does anyone else put theirs on silent? Or does anyone just answer their phone mid-dump? :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I have no problem answering the phone while on the john. enfact I secretly hope they ask when I'm doing, just to hear them gibber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I remember when was working in a large American multi-national, one of the (Irish) managers walked in while on the phone, had a wizz while still talking, finished up (including the obligatory tap) and left the gents still in mid-conversation.

He didn't even wash his hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

tom dunne wrote:
    I remember when was working in a large American multi-national, one of the (Irish) managers walked in while on the phone, had a wizz while still talking, finished up (including the obligatory tap) and left the gents still in mid-conversation.

He didn't even wash his hands.

See that all the time, pretty gross. Usually the higher up the scale, the lower the toilet eitiquette. Convinced I have heard someone make a call while on the bog a couple of weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

I turn mine on to silent too and never answer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

AnonoBoy wrote:
    I noticed this morning that at work I always put my mobile on silent when I go in to take a dump. I would never answer the phone while on the toilet and I don't want it ringing while I'm sitting there, pants around the ankles, and have to leave it ring annoying everyone in the toilets.

Is there some manner of phone/toilet etiquette?

Does anyone else put theirs on silent? Or does anyone just answer their phone mid-dump? :eek:

I can just imagine the conversation.

Some randomer: Hey AlmightyCushion.
    Me: Hey man, what's up?
    Some randomer: Not much. Yourself?
    Me: Ah Sfa. Same sh!t different day.
    Some randomer: I know the feeling. What at this weekend? Are you heading out?
    Me: Don't know yet, I think I might just.......hold on a sec will ya [screaming imensly].......eugh.........ahhhh...........arrrrrrgggggg........oh holy ****, it's like giving birth to a baby elephant............fúúúúúúúúcccckkkkkin heeeelllllllll.......[/screaming] *loud splash* eh where was I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Collie D wrote:
    See that all the time, pretty gross. Usually the higher up the scale, the lower the toilet eitiquette. Convinced I have heard someone make a call while on the bog a couple of weeks ago
    Whats wrong with that? Multi-tasking should be applauded, never frowned upon. Thats the problem with you kids these days, you lot can only ever do one thing at a time. God help your women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

yeah i think there is a toiletiquette when it comes to phones in jacks. i put mine on silent and play tetris......i wouldnt answer it though.....for fear of some background noises. saying that i have done it at home....thats fine....just not in work....dunno, call it paranoia. you never know who's listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I'd answer the phone in my house or in a private toilet, but not in public, it'd just be weird with people walking by outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Was just talking to someone on the phone this morning whilst crimping off a length. Had to terminate the conversation prematurely though as I was starting to get a bit noisy. On the Guinness last night, rounded off with a cheese and mushroom chip.

Would always talk away on the phone on the toilet at home but only do it in work if I am the only one in the toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Always answer the phone on the bog. And when they ask what the echoing noise is, just say they're on handsfree...The plopping noise however, requires a bit more explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Few friends of mine are always ringing people while on the john. Infact i think they ring eachother fairly regularly while they are both on it. I dunno if they have set a time or something and frankly i dont really wanna know.
    It seems to be their party piece or something :confused:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Nothing funnier then hearing a poop down the line. :D Anyone have a link to that dilbert cartoon where everyone on the conference call was in the bathroom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

I take calls on the loo, and make calls too, don;t see y not?? Only to family & Friends tho. I like to read on the loo too, sometimes its the only place you can get some peace!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

I think real gassy runny poop would be worse than constipated here, just imagine ringing someone about to start squirting, the sounds would be too offputting, you'd nearly feel like washing your phone and ears afterwards and you weren't even the one in the loo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

nothing worse than talking to someone on the phone and hearing a 'plop' in the background!!

rang a friend before, talkin to him for about 4/5 minutes.

I asked him to get me the details for the flight we were taking the next week.

"yeah, will do, but i'll have to text it to ya later or something, I'm actually having a sh1t at the moment"

I thought it was funny...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

nah i txt but never call. sure i do be too busy playin puzzle bobble or watchin an episode of the simpsons/family guy/etc on me phone!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

no bother answering the phone at home when on the bog but not in work, the nosey feckers have a enough information as it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I ring a friend in Israel on a regular basis and because she train's alot, and lives in a hot country she drinks lots of water.

She'll often take the phone in the the loo with her while she has a pee!. Doesn't bother me in the least, although I have asked her not to talk to me if she's ever taking a dump!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I don't. I ring the person afterward. I always have my phone on silent with vibrate anyway. I hate bothering people with ringtones.

However if I ring someone back and they ask why I didn't answer before then I'll be honest and say I was sh*tting in the toilet. That lack of manners is to encourage them not to ask next time. I tried to be polite but they forced my hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

With the people setting their phones to silent to go to the toilet I'm left worried...something about setting your phone to vibrate before going into a cubicle in the loo... are you there to relieve your bowels/bladder or the tension?:D :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

If I'm at home, I'll happily have a conversatoin while dropping the kids off.. but in work, I'll stick the phone on silent. I won't pre-empt it, but if my phone rings I'll press 'silent'.

I have another issue with public toilets though.. I'm not gonna hijack this thread, so I'm off to start a new one..

I don't even bring the phone with me!!

But back in the days when mobiles were bricks, I did a wind up once, by making grunting noises and dropping a (large) potato into a bucket of water from a height.:D I just happened to be in a small echoy(sp?) room which had a bucket & potatos in it at the time and the caller said I sounded like I was in the bog...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

MarkR wrote:
    Anyone have a link to that dilbert cartoon where everyone on the conference call was in the bathroom?
    I used to often take non-critical conference calls (those ones where my role was largely just observer status, rather than an active participant) from the loo at home. I'd just put the handset on mute & handsfree mode, and leave the phone running in the background.

I do remember a minor fluster when I was called into discussion just as I was washing my hands, and I had to struggle to switch off the taps and release the mute button with wet hands rather swiftly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

My phone is almost always on silent anyway so it doesn't really bother me. It's the only place where I can text people in work though so I tend to savour my time in the cubicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I was in the cludgie laying some cable when the frikken Boss rings just as the sack of puppies were about to be dhropped!!

She asked what "the funny noise was" I said i was in the Zoo with my nephew and a clump of seals just dived into the water"

"Noisy basteds!" says she"Never liked those animals"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I can just imagine the conversation.

Some randomer: Hey AlmightyCushion.
    Me: Hey man, what's up?
    Some randomer: Not much. Yourself?
    Me: Ah Sfa. Same sh!t different day.
    Some randomer: I know the feeling. What at this weekend? Are you heading out?
    Me: Don't know yet, I think I might just.......hold on a sec will ya [screaming imensly].......eugh.........ahhhh...........arrrrrrgggggg........oh holy ****, it's like giving birth to a baby elephant............fúúúúúúúúcccckkkkkin heeeelllllllll.......[/screaming] *loud splash* eh where was I?

:D:D:D

I'm in tears

Advertisement