Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutered Dog, What if......

Options
  • 02-08-2007 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My mum had her 1.y.o OESheepdog cross neutered yesterday. I went to collect him, and I was rather shocked that the bill was over €180...!!!...

Now, I don't mind paying for a good professional service, especially for something that could have serious effects for the dog if it was not done properly. But it did get me thinking that it is not surprising that there are so many strays and unwanted dogs in the country. Alot of people probably cannot afford to pay, or are unwilling to pay such a high fee.

I wounder if there is any figures for how much money it costs the state, for strays and pounds etc. Surely, if the government were to subsidise ALL neutering operations either totally or partially, the reduction in strays and unwanted/abandoned cats & dogs would be recouped by the reduced demand on pounds.

How much does it cost the state for each animal that is terminated? I assume they are kept for a number of days, so there is boarding, feeding and staffing costs. Then there is the cost of actually having the animal put-to-sleep, and disposing of its remains. If the cost of this was taken from the cost of the neutering operation, surely the government would save money?

Just my thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Very good point.

Dogs Trust are also running pilot neutering schemes in certain parts of the country (I think Mayo atm)... Government should subsidise stuff like this for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Its really really cheap if your unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Thats the point that groups like ANVIL have been making and rescue people have been suggesting for years
    Of course it makes total sense to subsidise neutering all dogs on a National level but we don't like to be sensible in Ireland
    It's easier NOT to have anyone in charge of laws and for companion animals so no-one has to take charge or make any decisions.

I would imagine it costs huge amounts to keep for 5 days and destroy dogs thereafter - to pay for the upkeep of the places and wages etc

Makes sense - please feel free to suggest it to your local politicians - the more of us that do they might just sit up and take notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Good point. It's also worth considering the huge costs faced by shelters - their dogs are usually neutered as a rule before rehoming, and many of these shelters only survive on donations .....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

OES is a large dog larger dogs are usually more expensive to neuter. However when you consider the price of everything has gone up incl. vet care plus the long term advantages of neutering and also you are paying a proffesional to carry out an operation on your pet.

However I do think things like vaccinations are very over priced esp. for regular customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Neutering/Spaying is free in limerick & Mayo till 30th September and this will move around counties. It began with the couty with the most number of dogs pts.

It is on €14 to have your dog neutered/spayed if you are on any government assistance at all lone parents allowance/pension etc this is sponsored by the dogs trust.

Reason the price varies is the weight of the animal and the overheads your vet is subject to (staff etc) the heavier the dog the more anaesthetic needed therefore the higher the cost.

Any questions let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

~Thalia~ wrote:
    Neutering/Spaying is free in limerick & Mayo till 30th September and this will move around counties. It began with the couty with the most number of dogs pts.

It is on €14 to have your dog neutered/spayed if you are on any government assistance at all lone parents allowance/pension etc this is sponsored by the dogs trust.

Reason the price varies is the weight of the animal and the overheads your vet is subject to (staff etc) the heavier the dog the more anaesthetic needed therefore the higher the cost.

Any questions let me know!

It is good to know that that scheme is being carried out, and that support is available to families who require it.

I am not really worried about the costs, I understand it is a surgical procedure and all the propper staff, equipment and medication cost money.

I am just wondering if the government are overlooking a simple scheme that will save them and us money, and save alot of animals unnecessary suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

prospect wrote:
    It is good to know that that scheme is being carried out, and that support is available to families who require it.

I am not really worried about the costs, I understand it is a surgical procedure and all the propper staff, equipment and medication cost money.

I am just wondering if the government are overlooking a simple scheme that will save them and us money, and save alot of animals unnecessary suffering.

Totally - I agree. Only thing is though our government doesn't really have any interest in a valid policy on companion animals. If only they did and we could stop thousands of unwanted cats and dogs being put to sleep in this country every year.

We like to pride ourselves as being a nation of animal lovers - We certainley are not - the figures speak for themselves.

I hope it changes - soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

I was quoted over €220 for my GSD b*tch to be spayed if under 20kg, €280 for between 20-30kg. All I can say is I am very grateful to the dogs trust for helping me out - I have no job and it was so expensive I was dreading leaving her "whole" with so many unneutered dogs nearby. She's fully recovered now and stitches are out - hair is growing back a good bit too.
    They are doing the free neutering in Mayo and limerick i think. Give them a ring if you need info. €180 for a male dog is about average - that's what my sis paid i think for her male gsd to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Hmm,

I wondered if we all sent a letter to our local representative at the same time would it help?

I am in North Kildare area. If we could get enough people from enough areas to send the same letter at the same time.....

Of course some basic figures would help, i.e. costs to run a pound, numbers of animals terminated, cost to terminate etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 shelley1

cross posted with permission..

''Dogs Trust are delighted to announce that we will be offering, through our participating vets in Limerick and Mayo, from 1st July to 30th September, free neutering, vaccinating and flea/worm treatment, to all residents regardless of means. Please contact our office on 01-2109426 for further information. Offer is only available as a whole package with neutering compulsory''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭marystar

the bluecross neuters .. but i dunno if you have to be unemployed , elderly or on low income to apply for this

http://www.bluecross.ie/welfare_schemes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Why don't dog owners just control their dogs more instead of letting them run loose in the streets?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Sabre Man wrote:
    Why don't dog owners just control their dogs more instead of letting them run loose in the streets?

Most dog owners do control their dogs. This thread is about (obviously responsible) dog owners getting their dogs nuetered. What does dogs roaming the streets have to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'd imagine Sabre Man was talking about dogs roaming while they're in heat... a common occurrence...
    In Sweden, a place where they take their dog ownership *very* seriously, neutering is pretty rare, simply because most people are responsible about pet ownership... They import a lot of our abandoned dogs because theres no such thing as a stray dog there.
    Ireland is a long way off this level of owner responsibility, therefore the best strategy is to promote neutering of pets....

Advertisement