Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

food dehydrator

Options
  • 02-08-2007 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi guys! Anyone know where I can get a food dehydrator in Dublin???:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Are you sure you would use it a lot?
    I only ask to make sure you dont end up with another gadget cluttering up space.

If you are unsure then there are ways to test out if you actually like dehydrated food first. e.g. just put the oven on low. Also in woodies you can get crystal stuff for taking moisture out of damp walls. You put some in a airtight tupperware dish and put a grid/grill/mesh on top, then put the food on top and it sucks the moisture out of it. It is a no-heat method and the food ends up "cracker dry". If you use a pyrex dish to do it you can seal it with tape, then the eventually wet crystals can be dried in an oven to recharge them. People commonly use it to dry mushrooms.

Or use a combination, oven to get almost dry, then crystals to get bone dry.

I imagine online would be the cheapest place to get a proper heated one. (make sure it is 230V)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

I got mine from here.
    Shortcut to: http://www.ukjuicers.com/dehydrators.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Thommo

Queera I'm now lookin for a Food Dehydrator.How did you get on and can you now recommend a make/model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Thommo

just bought one from juiceland.co.uk €162 which included shipping costs.Had it in two days.I bought a Stilo model with 3 stainless steel trays which are dishwasher proof it also has a thermostat and and timer.The appliance is extremely silent and easy to us.I bought it to sundry tomatoes which take 10hrs to do at 70C.Well worth it.
    Impossible to by this appliance in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ThisIsDan

Does anyone know what the energy consumption of these things is? It seems like it could be expensive to leave them on for the requisite 10-12 hours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

em, check the power rating of the product, it will obviously vary from model to model

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

rubadub wrote: »
    Are you sure you would use it a lot?
    I only ask to make sure you dont end up with another gadget cluttering up space.

If you are unsure then there are ways to test out if you actually like dehydrated food first. e.g. just put the oven on low.

I imagine online would be the cheapest place to get a proper heated one. (make sure it is 230V)
    Can you tell me how effective this method is compared to a dehydrator, I hear it takes at least six hours in a low heat oven for results.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Sorry for dragging up a zombie thread (Mods I'll open a new one if you want) but does anyone know anywhere in the Dublin area you can buy a food dehydrator? I've had a quick google and can only find online shops. I'd prefer a bricks and mortar shop if possible.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mods I'll open a new one if you want

Please do - this thread was started 5 years ago :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement